Where do you put your tools?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 AM

I have drawers on the right side of my table and most of the things I need regularly are there. Granted, enough stuff on the top of the table as well, but for the most part it doesn't bother me piling up there unless I'm working on a large project and need extra space for specialty items.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 AM

My solution for the scissors is to attach a retractable name tag holder to the table. On the industrial machines I just screwed in a closed ring (not sure what they are called), and then just clip the scissors to that. I bought scissors with caps on them so the dogs won't get stabbed if they go by the table. Just pull the scissors up to the material and let them go back when I am done. Tools and things if it is on a base I've make up tool holders that hang from the frame. Sorry the picture is side ways not sure how to correct it. Hope that gives you a better idea.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]484388[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]484389[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scissors.jpg   tools-holder.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 AM

I have a secretary caddy that was meant to hold scissors pens and pencils, paper clips and post it notes. It now holds scissors, seam rippers (yes, more than one LOL) marking pens, nippers, pens, pencils, on and on.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 AM

I have a long tray I bought from the Container Store that's made of clear acrylic that sits beside my machine. It holds a little square tray for bobbins, scissors, feet ... whatever it is I want to keep close! Works wonderfully.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Yes, well, I try to be organized. Every once in a while I "clean things up" and then it looks good but isn't functional. I have various containers/mugs, etc. with the necessary things for a project - but it still feels very disorganized to me. I love a container or a gizmo or a gadget. I adore being inside the actual Container Store, but, none of that translates to always finding exactly what I need when I need it. A problem for sure. Always looking for the perfect....
Old 07-21-2014, 11:17 AM

I love the plastic towers for my sewing room. I have another table set up to the right and it also has it's plastic tower. It has two drawers filled with my repair tools and accessories and manuals for the sewing machines I use the most that are stored on the black metal storage rack to the right. I also have a good selection of thread on racks attached to the black metal rack. Works pretty well so far.

I see Daphne left me a foxtail in front of the plastic tower. Hmmmm I guess I should vacuum and I couldn't resist posting one of her pics.
Attached Thumbnails 028.jpg   029.jpg   garden%2520and%2520daphne%2520007.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM

My wife uses a small pencil/pen/notebook caddy on the backside of her main machine and to the right. Along with her drawer it works well for her, but her sewing area never moves. My sewing area, on the other hand, moves around a lot!

I sew in my Bikeshop, out on the front patio, out on the back patio, and in the main sewing room. I move from machine to machine a lot, and need to take my basic tools along with me so I don’t have to buy multiples of them. Plus, most of my machines are in stands that don’t have any drawers at all, or one small one that I can’t get into when I have all of my auxiliary tables set up next to the stand for sewing, and that’s usually when I need something that I didn’t get out before setting the tables up.

I’ve got some tools that are simply too large to try to tote around with me. My big 12” scissors, my portable cone thread stand, long straight edges, and yard stick. I have put a couple of hooks screwed into my Bikeshop wall where I hang those items.

For the smaller items like thread nippers, 8” scissors, seam ripper, large and small screwdrivers, seam gauge, and such, I’ve been struggling to come up with a workable solution. (See the thread: Need To Corral My Sewing Tools)

After giving up on the coffee can organizer idea, I tried a square metal cookie tin, but didn’t like having to take the lid off all of the time. Now, I’m using a small plastic tote that my wife spotted in a Thrift Shop. It doesn’t have any holes in the sides or bottom like I’ve found most places. It seems to be working so far, by placing it on the floor next to my stands. As I use tools, I lay them on the right end of my stand until I get too many of them and have to put some that I won’t be needing for a while back down in the tote. I kicked it once going by it, so that’s not good. It’s still an experiment. It’s the lime green tote at the left end of my treadle in these photos. My current project is an equipment cover made out of recycled billboard vinyl.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20140721_01.jpg   20140721_02.jpg   20140721_03.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
I have a secretary caddy that was meant to hold scissors pens and pencils, paper clips and post it notes. It now holds scissors, seam rippers (yes, more than one LOL) marking pens, nippers, pens, pencils, on and on.
I, too use the secretary caddy for scissors, small rotary cutters I use to rip seams, marking pens, seam rippers, marking pens, pencils and needle nose pliers. I also have a plastic box under the plastic sewing machine table that I use for my sewing machine feet and screwdrivers (or I did before I packed everything). Hopefully once I get everything into the new house I will eventually find all my gadgets
Old 07-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I have 2 silverware, tiered holders, they take up about 4-5", but since there are tiers my tools are ready and waiting, along with marking tools, rotary cutters, etc., etc. As long as I put them back after I use them, my tools are always ready. LOL. Most of the time I do put them away after using.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Yes, well, I try to be organized. Every once in a while I "clean things up" and then it looks good but isn't functional. I have various containers/mugs, etc. with the necessary things for a project - but it still feels very disorganized to me. I love a container or a gizmo or a gadget. I adore being inside the actual Container Store, but, none of that translates to always finding exactly what I need when I need it. A problem for sure. Always looking for the perfect....
i gave up on "perfect" and went with "serviceable" a while back. It was ver freeing! Lol

FREE Quilting Newsletter