Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
White Rotary 41 - Several Interesting Differences >

White Rotary 41 - Several Interesting Differences

White Rotary 41 - Several Interesting Differences

Old 05-05-2015, 12:26 PM

I want to thank all of you for the many helpful comments and tips. I don't think there is any question about the White Rotary that I didn't find the answer to from the many members here. I want to post some additional pictures requested by Rodney. I am going to put them in a separate thread, but I need some help with tags. When I posted this thread, it didn't like the tags I chose, so I just deleted them and posted anyway. Can someone tell me more about how to assign tags?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:03 PM

I've been working on some other things the last few weeks. Now back to this machine, I'd like to ask if any of the mechanically inclined people here could share anything about this interesting bobbin hook movement?

It is based on the paths of two circles, different sizes, with different centers, the smaller circle located close to the edge of the larger circle. The orbits are tied together producing a one-to-one rotation with each other, but the smaller circle has a distorted timing, speeding up and slowing down within each rotation. All other rotary machines I've seen seem to have hooks that turn at two times per needle stroke. I've only seen this design associated with White machines or machines related back to White.

It seems a novel and clever movement. It is as different in design and operation from modern rotary hooks as an oscillating hook would be. I'm wondering how it fits into the evolution of things. The design doesn't seem to have survived and I'm curious why.

John
Old 07-28-2015, 06:35 PM

I don't have that exact machine. I've got earlier and later Whites. You have me curious though. I think tomorrow I might flip a couple over and see how they work.
Rodney
Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 PM

Cathy, I have a White Rotary in a bentwood case like that. The machine looks like your pretty floral ones. Too bad it is too heavy to ship. It's looking for a new home. 1926 emachine. Don't the White flywheels turn opposite of most machines?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:28 PM

I use Windex, but was afraid to mention it on QB, just in case. It really works and we used it on computers at work with no harm. As long as you dry and wipe it off completely. You realize it has alcohol in it, but very little. Don't get any with vinegar, as that is an acid. It is only for really nasty, dirty, doesn't have much chance anyway, messes. I used it on a Singer Golden Touch and Sew that had smoke on it and that worked better than anything else I tried. Windex is a use at your own risk product as far as sewing machines are concerned. Not on the decals!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
oh as too cleaning... I clean my little wrinkle finish (godzilla) singer 128's with mild dish soap and water ( in a spray bottle ) a tooth brush and a clean t shirt for an initial cleaning or occasional use where you are not concerned about fading or harming pretty gold leaf decals.... even windex or 409... but be warned it is harsher than most recommend and could harm stuff.
Do NOT use soap and water on the older White FR, the decals will vanish. I only use sewing machine oil.
Sharon in Texas
Old 04-05-2016, 12:24 PM

I have a 41 and a 44. The 44 has a phosphorus based, aluminum looking frame. As you know these models love to shed their lovely wrinkle paint in sheets. I have seen several "moulting" machines. The 44 was the worst and I had to sand it down to remove the loose places. I then primed the naked places with an aluminum primer, spray can, and it was white. It takes a lot of masking to keep it off the brownish, or black painted areas. Then, having no supply of wrinkle paint in my area, used Rustoleum, toolbox type finish. It blended very well and made the machine look great. It will be fine for my needs, but perhaps not for everyone. The paint feathered very well and I couldn't be happier. Now I just would like to find it a new home. It is sewing fine too. The model 41 will probably be a parts donor. The rubber drive wheels can be obtained from Sew-Classic.com in case some of you need them. These machines are like the Energizer bunny and Timex watches, they are practically unstoppable.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 PM

I have been known to us Windex or even Dow Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner in severe cases with no decals. Joe was right, put any object between the drive and the hand wheel to keep pressure of the rubber drive wheel. I was really pleased to see that Sew-Classic.com had them now. I paid twice as much for the first one I purchased. That is the reason those drive types get junked, as people don't know there are parts still available I have a White 41 parting out if anyone needs parts. I just don't want another White machine at this time. That Rustoleum paint really made the model 44 look good. Don't repaint without using aluminum primer, because, just like airplanes, the paint won't stick around for the long haul. That's what caused the paint to come off to begin with.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 PM

I said phosphorus when I meant magnesium, earlier. Magnesium is lighter than cast, but these machines are not light.