White Rotary

Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Default White Rotary Update

I've gotten my White Rotary up and running, thanks to all of you for your advice. The machine is missing the little screw/knob thing (I'm sure that is the official name) that goes on the front and keeps them machine flush with the base of the cabinet when you fold the cabinet up. I've been looking at "part" machines on e-bay, there is one that has it but w/shipping it would cost around $75 for it and I'm not sure I want to spend that much for the one small part. DH and I have discussed "engineering" something. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I've attached the photo of the base of the machine to show where the "little screw/knob thing goes.
Attached Thumbnails white-rotary.jpg  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 AM

any long bolt with the right threads will work. You don't need one that sticks up - and all you need to do is get it finger tight anyway.

the working end is 1 1/4" long, looks like coarse thread, either 5/32 or 3/16. I'd have to run out to the shop to figure that out exactly.

My DH says it might be something like a #6, or something, and that is a different scale then by the inch. At least we can expect it's standard and not metric.

I have an extra one (the one in the picture) but I may need it as I've got a White rotary coming in the mail, and I don't recall if it's got one with it or not. If I don't need it, I can send this one to you. The screw end is a bit worn, but it works fine.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 AM

DH says the screw is #8-28, if you go to the hardware store looking. BTW - I meant the slot on the head of the bolt is messed up a bit - the thread end is fine.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:48 AM

Macybaby,

Thanks for the info. DH says that we actually need the entire assembly. The the screw goes in but it doesn't screw into anything. We can fabricate something, but I would love to have an original screw and assembly. If your new machine has the screw already I'd gladly purchase the one in the picture from you.

I have to say I'm really having fun treadling.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 PM

That screw is the whole assembly that goes with the machine. There rest is a rectangular piece of metal fastened to the back of the wood on the cabinet, that is drilled and tapped to accept the screw. It's not at all like the little hook mechanisms on most other machines. If all you need is the metal piece, you could use a screw or tap a small piece of metal. You could get one of those screw in nuts (like used on a lot of furniture) and a bolt to go with it, as long as it fits through the hole in the machine.

Both my Whites in cabinets are like this.

The picture is not good - but you can see the little metal piece under the wood at the corner.

And the top side - that is all there is.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 PM

Cathy,

Thank you for the advise. I'm hoping to have Wednesday off from work so DH and I will try it then.