White singer lubricant ?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Novice View Post
Is it normal for the Singer lubricant to be white?
I have seen brand new Singer lubricant to be clear, white (creamy), beige, and brown. All brand new just opened that day. I have beengiving Featherweight owner maintenance classes for over 14 years now and do not understand why there is such a variation in the color of the lubricant, but have seen the new, unopened tubes still in the original package because I helped to open and get it ready to use. The class participants swore that they had just purchased it a couple a days before at the LQS. So, it could be white! Just be sure that the tube says "Singer lubricant" on it was it was purchased new, not one that has been in with the sewing machine for several decades. Singer item #S2129 is mostly blue with red text, yellow and white trim.
The lubricant is used for the gears and on the two ports that lubricate the motor. (Only places to use lubricant). If we are talking oil, then there is a lot more information, but think right now we are only talking lubricant.
Attached Thumbnails s2129.jpg  

Last edited by quiltgal; 05-17-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM

Hmm.. the tubes I bought from the Canadian Supplier are red pink and white, and carded and use part #S2129. They contain the brownish lube. It was brand new stock, they had to order it for me in November.

Intererstingly, looking at Jenny's site, she's clearing the tube that Kathleen shows above, and say "This product can be used on metal gears. New formulation no longer reccomended for use in motor grease pots/tubes where there is a wick. Use petroleum jelly instead."

I guess this is as good a time as any to mention that I spoke with an electrical engineer a few months ago about these motors. I mentioned the brass impregnated bearings that Joe told me about, and the "problem" of finding Singer Lube. Apparently, according to my supplier, I'm the only person in Alberta who orders it from them anymore.

I mentioned that we use tri-flow oil and grease for the machines, but never the motors, because of the PTFE (Teflon) and there was a concern about what the PTFE would do to the bearings. He told me it would be better than the original grease. The brass is porous so that it would give the grease something to hold to, that's all. He said the teflon would further reduce friction, and that's what we want. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but since the Singer lube has changed formula in some places, perhaps it's time to try.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Tammi,

It's not the PTFE that's the problem with the Tri-Flow grease. It's the synthetic base. The original grease gets soft and runny when it gets warm. Then it flows into the bearings. Tri-Flow grease doesn't get soft at the temps the motors reach, so it doesn't flow into the bearings, or through the wicks.

I have quite a few tubes of the old Singer Motor Lube accumulated. I'm gonna have to keep them aside for the motors.

Joe
Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 PM

Back in November, you mentioned the Teflon angle, so that's what I asked about. If I can find that guy again, I'll ask about the Synthetic part. I just figure that if Singer's messing with their formula, and there's been roughly 80 years of innovation since, maybe like the TF oil that didn't exist at the time, there is an alternative out there. These motors aren't -that- unique, or that complex for that matter. I'd hate to think that these motors need to be binned because of a lack of options down the road. If the synthetic has a similar "melt" point to Vaseline, it might be worth a look.

Otherwise, someone on the Slant yahoo group says that Vaseline is indistinguishable from Singer Lube.

edit: Hmm,.. both Tri-Flow and SuperLube are "non-melting", and Vaseline "melts" at body temperature.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 05-19-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM

The deal about the synthetic part came from the notes section on Sew-Classic. I haven't tried the T-F grease in the motors and doubt I will.

Joe
Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The deal about the synthetic part came from the notes section on Sew-Classic. I haven't tried the T-F grease in the motors and doubt I will.

Joe
Well, my comment above about the melting points being totally different, sort of rules the TF and the SL out.
Which notes on SC? I poked around, but didn't see anything.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:55 AM

Tammi,

Go to :
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/4-Oi...e-Tools_c6.htm

Then to:
Tri-Flow Sewing Machine Grease VALUE size 3 oz. ( Upper right product on my monitor. )

Then read the notes:
"Not recommended for grease tubes or pots that lubricate motor bearings via a wick. Either use the Singer grease for this or petroleum jelly for those applications"

Also, read her Guide to Products for Oiling and Lubricating a Sewing Machine just below the notes.

.................................................. .................................................. .............

Since Vaseline Petroleum Jelly melts at a fairly low temp I'm wondering just how effective it will be as a motor lubricant.

Joe
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Tammi,

Go to :
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/4-Oi...e-Tools_c6.htm

Then to:
Tri-Flow Sewing Machine Grease VALUE size 3 oz. ( Upper right product on my monitor. )

Then read the notes:
"Not recommended for grease tubes or pots that lubricate motor bearings via a wick. Either use the Singer grease for this or petroleum jelly for those applications"

Also, read her Guide to Products for Oiling and Lubricating a Sewing Machine just below the notes.

.................................................. .................................................. .............

Since Vaseline Petroleum Jelly melts at a fairly low temp I'm wondering just how effective it will be as a motor lubricant.

Joe
Joe, the first quote is the same as I posted in reply #12. I have read the guide, but she makes no mention of synthetic products being bad, only not to oil/grease synthetic gears. Does Jenny have anything on her site that mentions synthetic grease being "bad"?

She's recommending petroleum jelly (Vaseline), as a replacement, as are people on the SingerSlantSewing yahoo group. If you are a member of the group, "Roy" posted about it on May 10th, at 9:13pm. He said that "Genuine Singer grease is indistinguishable from Vaseline!" No one refuted him, and on a list with that many OSMGs someone would likely have said something to "protect" us newbs.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 AM

I just used the lubricant from Sew-Classic on my featherweight motor. After all, I searched for Singer motor lubricant. It is white. Did I do wrong?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Tammi,

"Bad" is not what I'm saying. Synthetic lube just doesn't get soft at as low temperature as the petroleum based lube does. That is why you don't want to use it in motors with wicks and grease pots. It doesn't wick into the bearings.

As for using T-F grease on plastic gears she doesn't say not to, just that some manufacturers say no lube and some say other types of Molykote lube and that one should be careful what you use on them.

I don't know what the white Singer grease is, but if it's what I've found on the plastic gears of unmolested Singer machines and it does look like it, then I'll start using it on my plastic geared machines.

redmadder,

I don't know if you've done anything wrong or not. But just in case I'd get one of those curved tip syringes and pump in some petroleum jelly.

Joe