Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Why Do I Keep Rescuing Machines I Don't Need >

Why Do I Keep Rescuing Machines I Don't Need

Why Do I Keep Rescuing Machines I Don't Need

Old 05-28-2015, 07:36 AM

There is something to be said for keeping the clutter to a minimum. It's something I struggle with.
You can try asking yourself these questions:
Do I love it? (usually yes for me)
Can I afford it?
What will I do with it? ( I do try to have a purpose for my machines)
Where will I put it? (This is a tough one. I'm about out of room.)
If the answers are favorable go ahead and get it.
If storage is becoming an issue you can always rehome the ones you're not in love with. Fix them and sell them to someone who will be happy to have them. That way you know the machines are being cared for and you can still enjoy finding machines while improving your collection at the same time.
One thing I've started to do is have a machine or two available to give to kids who want to sew. Given the fact that many schools no longer have home-ec type classes where sewing is taught and many children's parents don't know how to sew either it falls to people like us to teach the ones who want to learn.
Rodney
Old 05-28-2015, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'm pretty good about not buying them on a whim - though I'm really bad at trying to talk DH out of a machine he wants to get mostly because it's cheap. He has delusions he'll fix them up and sell them - he may fix them up, but he really does not like the selling part. ......
Your husband and I have a lot in common.
Rodney
Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 AM

I have to ask.... Can you post a photo of the Brother Tingler?
Sharon in Texas (where its raining again)
Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 AM

I'm pretty good about not buying them on a whim - though I'm really bad at trying to talk DH out of a machine he wants to get mostly because it's cheap. He has delusions he'll fix them up and sell them - he may fix them up, but he really does not like the selling part.
For me, I really enjoy reselling. It's exciting to give a piece of beautiful, fuctional history to someone who wants it! It's also exciting to turn a piece of junk into someone else's treasure! Even if it just becomes a decoration, it's still being loved.
I figure, if we buy them, that gets others interested in cleaning out the closet or storage shed - and who knows if they may find a real rare gem! I've been heartbroken to learn that someone who didn't know one machine from another junked out (or made into a lamp) a truly rare machine, because they figured no one would want it.
Oh Gods, LAMPS! On eBay a few years ago I saw a Wilcox & Gibbs chain stitch in really good condition turned into a lamp!!! It was so sad that they could have sold it for $250 easily, but turned into a $49 lamp. I'm a firm believer in doing what you want with your stuff, but it doesn't hurt to do a quick internet search first. Otherwise, you can end up spinning gold into straw.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I have to ask.... Can you post a photo of the Brother Tingler?
Sharon in Texas (where its raining again)
Sharon, some day before I turn 80, I will have the gear and know-how to shoot and post photos, then you'll wish I'd stayed in the dark. I found little to no information on the Tingler, just an adv. for a sold one. As near as I can determine, it was made about the time that Jones and Brother became one. I was unprepared for the tension spring sticking so far out, but saw a picture that shows that as normal. The only thing unusual about it is the pink body with purple trim at each end. The case is a cheap piece of embossed plastic, which is probably why you don't see many of them. I finally googled Jones Brother 031 and landed at a UK site selling manuals. The ebay adv. says it was made in 1962, cast iron with steel parts inside. Straight stitch, short shank, adjustable foot pressure, 140 watt motor. Every thing on it that could be pressed, turned, or twisted, had been.
On Pinterest, you can find images of Brother 031 Charger, which is same machine, only mint green. There are Chargers with other number designations, but seems the pink machine production was short lived. Cleaned up and lubricated, it does make a nice stitch with a quiet motor.

Do you mean there is a place where it does quit raining? SW Washington where it rains twice as much as in Seattle.

Last edited by elnan; 05-28-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:12 AM

I love to look at these machines and to sew on them. When I find one at a yard sale and it's in good shape I find it very hard to walk away. I know I have to because I'm out of room. All that I saw a Kenmore at a yard sale last weekend that looked like it was still on the showroom floor. They were asking way too much at $ 50, but it was mint. I could not find the model number as the couple selling her mother's stuff was hovering and clucking at how it had been barely used. I've always loved Kenmores, so walking away was tough, but I managed. Could not believe the price!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 AM

And, the question will be, what happens when we die off? Because, if the younger generation isn't interested in what we've saved, the machines will be scrapped anyway.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 AM

Hey, it was 86 yesterday! And it's going to be hot today. For SW WA this is a great spring/summer!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Banned

Elnan, 1962 is way too early for that machine. Probably early to mid 70s. Brother bought Jones in 1968 so that's when Jones machines started looking like Brothers.

Cari
Old 05-29-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
Hey, it was 86 yesterday! And it's going to be hot today. For SW WA this is a great spring/summer!
You live near here?
We have local get-togethers occasionally. After I've had time to heal a bit more I'll start setting up another one. The last one was at the Timberland Library in Tumwater. I think that one worked out well. Parking is a lot better there than at the Centralia library.
Rodney