Wood base for Singer 15-90

Old 10-13-2019, 03:07 PM

Default Wood base for Singer 15-90

Singer No. 42 Cabinet- Art Decor

Soon I will move my 15-91 over to this cabinet. Thinking of keeping the machine that came with the cabinet but want to just put it in a wooden base. I don't want to make one and can't seem to find one that can be purchased. Has anyone seen wooden bases to fit these vintage Singer machines? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:21 PM

I've been keeping my husband busy making wood bases for my vintage machines (photos attached). I have seen bases for sale online, although not as pretty as the ones my husband builds for me. You might search for "wooden
base for singer sewing machine" on Etsy.com or check out:

https://shop.sew-classic.com/Hardwood-Sewing-Machine-Base-FREE-SHIP-USA-full-size-base.htm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618528[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]618529[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]618530[/ATTACH]

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
Attached Thumbnails 201k-base.jpg   201k-mk-base.jpg   99-base.jpg  
Old 10-13-2019, 06:23 PM

I'm not sure but it seems like there used to be a seller on Etsy that made wooden bases for vintage machines. You might check there.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:43 PM

Sew Classic sells them https://shop.sew-classic.com/Hardwoo...-size-base.htm .

Lovely homemade bases, Bonnie!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:26 AM

BonnieJP, your DH did a great job on your wooden bases and thanks to all of you for the recommendations. I found two sellers on Etsy, Ebay and also checked out the Sew Classic link.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:49 PM

I was thinking that at least some of the wooden bases made for these old machines, do not have hinge pins. That would make it harder to use and tip back to oil. Something to ask, if you are wanting to sew with the machine, is does it have a means to attach the machine to the base.

Just a thought.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I was thinking that at least some of the wooden bases made for these old machines, do not have hinge pins. That would make it harder to use and tip back to oil. Something to ask, if you are wanting to sew with the machine, is does it have a means to attach the machine to the base.

Just a thought.

Janie, you are so danged smart!! I never even thought about inquiring how the sewing machine would be attached to the box. And of course, now that you mentioned it, I thought well, duh! Of course it needs to be attached to the box.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post

Just a thought.

The first wooden base my husband made for my Singer 66 had hinges to attach the machine to the base. That actually makes it more difficult to oil the machine because once you tip the machine back, the box lacks the weight to remain on the table so it tips up to the machine. All the boxes after that first hinged box are not hinged to the machines (at my request) since I've found it much easier to lift the machine out of the box and lay it on an old towel to oil it. In addition, since I'm kind of petite, it is actually easier for me to lift the machine out of the box and move it separately from the box when I want to relocate it to another room.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
The first wooden base my husband made for my Singer 66 had hinges to attach the machine to the base. That actually makes it more difficult to oil the machine because once you tip the machine back, the box lacks the weight to remain on the table so it tips up to the machine. All the boxes after that first hinged box are not hinged to the machines (at my request) since I've found it much easier to lift the machine out of the box and lay it on an old towel to oil it. In addition, since I'm kind of petite, it is actually easier for me to lift the machine out of the box and move it separately from the box when I want to relocate it to another room.
Beautiful bases.

Thank you for the feedback. On the portables, I have used a cut off pool noodle or a large cone thread behind the machine to rest the head. I have also seen some bases that have a piece that folds out from the back side so the box doesn't tip.

I'm thinking that I had seen that the boxes that did not have hinge pins said that they were for display only. I think I would prefer to have the machine attached to the base.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-20-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:21 PM

hmm thinking out loud here,. but don't some full sized machines need deeper boxes than others..? for great pots maybe? not sure at all,.