Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

welcome, deenato and maureen.
This is going to be like one long party! woo hoo!
Wait till Lesley hears that I am still going to hang in there...slow as molasses or whatever...I can't stop myself! wheee----> :XD:
Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Mousie...I'm soooo happy that you ARE gonna' play with us!! *doing the happy mouse feet dance!!*
Old 05-15-2011, 05:18 PM

I ordered fabric from CT for my DGS quilt. I was very pleased with the solid fabric and the colors but when I started cutting the strips I needed I discovered a problem. CT does not cut their fabric on the square; I squared it up and then I didn't have enough fabric. I had to order some more. The price per yard is cheaper but I have never had that problem with my LQS. Welcome to the newcomers. How many do we have in the group now? I can't wait to see how all of these quilts turn out.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:49 PM

Kathy - is there a list of people's screen names and real names that you can just PM all of us? I guess we arent supposed to make it that EZ :roll: :lol:
Old 05-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sharon b
Ok have a question- with the batiks do you prewash them ? I went and got a bunch of 1/8 and 1/4 yard cuts- but am thinking washing them will create a mess :shock: any suggestions ?
Ok, ladies, here I am... the one going against the stream... I prewash EVERYTHING. I cannot work with fabric if I don't. The chemicals irritate my finger tips. Normally I toss everything in the washer on hot water wash, use scissors to cut the strings prior to putting in the dryer. I do use a color catcher cloth but I used to do it without color catchers and still had success.

I agree with the bowl method on 1/8 pieces as it would cut down on a true mess. Just my 2¢ worth. :-D
I know.... a very old quote from pg 41 - I've been here a few times.... but this time have started from pg 1. Guess I'm afraid I missed something!! :roll:

I thought I'd share a few things about pre-wash... ahum. i basically try to avoid it but - one of my closest friends who got me back into quilting about 4 yrs ago after I passed the bar and I needed a sanity break because of my daughter's horrific disease and my mom's aging in a nursing home I thought we'd never have her in...
anyway - Karen told me 'Monica you dont need to prewash anything - just use 'Retayne' or some other "S..." thing [not cursing it starts with "s" :lol:
So I started to make my Peggy Martin pieced stars in the same colors as Peggy Martin - very VERY BOLD on dark blue background. After slaving over five of the twelve or sixteen, I needed a swatch of one of the reds I used and blues in another project. Both of these bled over the entire project and although I did get most of it out, I found it really frustrating.

Having said that - I now prewash the suspicious ones. After the above experience I did discover color grabers - I get mine from Target. The cloth ones work better, but paperish sheets that look like softener sheet "color catchers" are just as good if you use a few at a time. I use them constantly with clothes that can run now. Had one pink wash without them once [DH refused to wear all those t-shirts] have NEVER had even the worst offenders bleed on my wash since finding these sheets!! they are the best.

OK - now that I'm writing a book... [you'll learn to appreciate my not posting often..hum]
two things I've learned from quilters...
1- Sharon Schamber - who continues to win quilting awards - washes all fabrics she is had appliqueing - but not the background fabric. She says because the background will shrink ever so little, it pulls her stitching slightly more to the back of her applique - COOL huh :thumbup:

then my friend & owner of LQS said that washing after you quilt rather than before you start your project will give you a much softer look to your quilting....another :thumbup: not quite as high as the other one - but great anyway...

ah - now to order background fabric - I was looking at CT dreamscape cavern..
http://www.connectingthreads.com/cff...7&show=fabrics

or Mirage Iris - a deep purple - on sale at CT for $2.96!
http://www.connectingthreads.com/fab...lidsMirageSale
too much choice! just not sure I want black, but that Peggy Martin quilt is on a deep blue background...
Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
Welcome to the newcomers. How many do we have in the group now? I can't wait to see how all of these quilts turn out.
According to my feeble minded track-keeping, we are at 84 as of right now. My list includes several ladies who have indicated that they are joining in, but haven't let us know what their plans for their quilt are yet.

As far as how these quilts are going to turn out, I, too, can't wait to see blocks of each one laid out together. What we have seen so far is some yummy blocks, so I just know the quilts are going to all be stunning!

This weekend, I got all 36 blocks ready to actually start stitching. I have been doing one step completely before going on to the next step. Since I'm using freezer paper. I had to trace out the pieces on that & then cut them out. I "cheated" as I layered & stapled together enough sheets so as to only needed to draw & cut once for 4 pieces. Each block is living in its own gallon zipper bag with the enlarged print-out, the background square & an envelope with all the freezer paper pieces. Now all freezer paper pieces have been ironed to their respective fabric choices & cut out. I am now ready to baste down the seam allowance & stitch the blocks!!!

I have finished & posted Block 8. I will be working in the order of the schedule. Will still need to figure out what I will be doing for the inner borders (like which idea or variation I will steal!), but I have some time before I'll need to sew borders on.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 PM

[quote=QuiltswithConvicts][quote=Fabric Galore]
This weekend, I got all 36 blocks ready to actually start stitching. I have been doing one step completely before going on to the next step. Since I'm using freezer paper. I had to trace out the pieces on that & then cut them out. I "cheated" as I layered & stapled together enough sheets so as to only needed to draw & cut once for 4 pieces. Each block is living in its own gallon zipper bag with the enlarged print-out, the background square & an envelope with all the freezer paper pieces. Now all freezer paper pieces have been ironed to their respective fabric choices & cut out. I am now ready to baste down the seam allowance & stitch the blocks!!!

Kathy, Let me know how you do with the freezer paper method when you do block 17 or 20. I am having trouble using FP method on the smallest scrolls - I am finding I don't have enough fabric to baste on the inner sections of the scrolls by the round portion in the little crook space. When I snip that little section there isn't enough fabric left on the round side or the long skinny side to turn under and bast. Hope that makes some sense. Look forward to your suggestions on what to do with this.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 AM

I do not do applique but after seeing all the finished beautiful blocks, I have decided to try. I am ordering the book from Amazon and should have it in time to start with everyone. :D :D :D
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Cre8- thats good info about the washing, however I have to throw in that the Color Catchers don't ALWAYS do the trick..I love them, but my DH has a drawer full of pink underwear to attest to the fact that you must still think about what you throw together!

Kathy...84!!!! Wow...can't wait to see all these quilts!

Welcome lizzy!!! There are so many different ways to do the applique that I'm sure you'll find one that works well for you!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Since I'm using freezer paper. I had to trace out the pieces on that & then cut them out. I "cheated" as I layered & stapled together enough sheets so as to only needed to draw & cut once for 4 pieces.
That's not "cheating", that's being very smart and conserving energy.