BOM 2011

Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanine
Hi TN Donna: I agree with you. Last night after a horrid quilting nightmare, I realized that what was missing was individuality and creativity. Perhaps a story quilt month by month would be more original. Meaning, perhaps you visited a lighthouse in the month of June, so you do a lighthouse that month. Perhaps your Grandchild was born in May, so you chose tumbling blocks, etc. Or this story quilt could be anything you want; whatever is important or excites you.
Oh that is another GREAT idea! Like a quilting journal! How fun :D
Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Hi TN Donna: I agree with you. Last night after a horrid quilting nightmare, I realized that what was missing was individuality and creativity. Perhaps a story quilt month by month would be more original. Meaning, perhaps you visited a lighthouse in the month of June, so you do a lighthouse that month. Perhaps your Grandchild was born in May, so you chose tumbling blocks, etc. Or this story quilt could be anything you want; whatever is important or excites you.
I am intrigued by this idea however I don't know if I would be able to come up with ideas for myself. would someone still lead and make suggestions or something? I am afraid I would just drop out.

:oops:
Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 PM

You make your own blocks and quilt it yourself or have someone else do it, your choice.

Originally Posted by TN Donna
I would also like to know if we have to quilt the quilt or do we get to let someone else quilt it. I have always let someone else quilt them until this year I made and quilted a log cabin quilt for my MIL.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TN Donna
I am up for anything. I just bought a book from the woman who started the BOM quilts. She starts with 12 squares and she makes her own patterns for each block using the same materials in every block. One could be a star, one a house and one a light house and etc.
As in a sampler? Why not, sounds good to me.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by marymc
I am intrigued by this idea however I don't know if I would be able to come up with ideas for myself. would someone still lead and make suggestions or something? I am afraid I would just drop out.
I'll gladly work with you, if you wish. It would be fun! :P
Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by marymc
I'll gladly work with you, if you wish. It would be fun! :P
Jeanine that would be great. I could use a mentor.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM

gday, I like the idea of States and Territories, you could include in each: - state/territory flower, flag, season and/or animal that represents that state/territory.

This BOM is getting bigger and bigger every time i read through. I am getting excited on the outcome. Who ends up deciding what it will be???
Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 PM

I would suggest whoever started the idea.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:07 AM

I'm liking this idea. You could check your calendar, etc to see what birthdays, weddings, events etc. are important and see what blocks you can find that would pertain. If you get stuck for an idea there just might be a few (LOL) on this board to help you. There could always be an alternative block if you wanted to do the star/house or other chosen theme. LIke mentioned, it would be a quilting journal or diary. Could put on the back the why this block this month info. Fun to pass down.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 AM

I am really starting to like the "journal" idea. I am planning to make a quilt for my son's wedding in summer 2012; I could do each month for them using important dates in their lives. I could have is fiance pick out colors and use them throughout the months! I could work all through 2011 making blocks and still have several months in 2012 for quilting and finishing.