Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM

You guys are all so kind-thank you for the nice posts. Violet post some of yours, please. I need some more ideas--some of the blocks don't "speak" to me and I can't figure out what to do. Esp Broken dishes-all those seams and little triangles. Did you check Joann's on line for the honey/mustard fabric? You might be able to get enough that way.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
You guys are all so kind-thank you for the nice posts. Violet post some of yours, please. I need some more ideas--some of the blocks don't "speak" to me and I can't figure out what to do. Esp Broken dishes-all those seams and little triangles. Did you check Joann's on line for the honey/mustard fabric? You might be able to get enough that way.
Jan--what wonderful quilting. I love what you chose for designs. I'd really like to have a peek at your blocks and what quilting designs you're using. I've only been hand quilting for a couple of years. One quilt I did a fan, and two others stitching a 1/4" inside seam lines. I haven't really had any experience with patterns, except on my current hand quilting. It has plain blocks and I picked a stencil to do in each block.

Your quilting is Wowser! You're going to have a wonderful quilt when done!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM

QN: I dug out a bunch of stencils that I had from years ago for handquilting. The price on them is $1.99 or $2.49; today I looked at the same stencils at Joann's and they're $4.99 and up!! Glad I'm the type that never gets rid of anything LOL. I also use anything that fits the blocks: a CD, heartshaped box, coloring book pages and just trace with chalk and sew on the line.
Thank you again for all the nice comments!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:57 AM

QN: I dug out a bunch of stencils that I had from years ago for handquilting. The price on them is $1.99 or $2.49; today I looked at the same stencils at Joann's and they're $4.99 and up!! Glad I'm the type that never gets rid of anything LOL. I also use anything that fits the blocks: a CD, heartshaped box, coloring book pages and just trace with chalk and sew on the line.
Oh great ideas for stencils Jan! I'll have to look and see what I have. I think I have a folder of stencils and stuff I have cut out of quilting magazines!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
Oh great ideas for stencils Jan! I'll have to look and see what I have. I think I have a folder of stencils and stuff I have cut out of quilting magazines!
You gals are just too clever! I also have some stencils I've used for scrapbooking. I bet I can use some of those, too. Will have to look through them and check it out. Thanks for all the great tips.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 PM

Jan, I think you have done a terrific job on your quilting and your colors. I think we are our worst enemy when it comes to judging our own work.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by grannyQ
Jan, I think you have done a terrific job on your quilting and your colors. I think we are our worst enemy when it comes to judging our own work.
Yep I agree grannyQ!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi all of you, You need to look at a Quilt by "Dianne from Sask" of the Yahoo group. Her album is # 146 and the photos of it are the last couple of the, It is set on point but no sashing --no cornerstones--just set in triangles with a long border in between. Please go look at it. It is beautiful! Anne
It's beautiful. The sashing and border fabrics she chose really frame her blocks perfectly. I wonder what she's going to do with her leftover blocks? Her quilt used 88 of the 111.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 AM

Love all the blocks!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM

I'm not too sure if I like this combination. In the store i had more blocks layed out on the table and i really liked it then. Maybe it's the lighting..I dunno. This setup with a large outside border makes a king size quilt using 88 blocks. I will make 2 pillow shams with the balance and still have a few left over. maybe I'll sew a few more easy ones and make a throw.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204809.jpe   attachment-204810.jpe   attachment-204811.jpe