So by the stamp - guess she took it in 2011 -
See how there really is no sashing?? That's why some of the blocks appear with background borders in the sketches and others not.
Thanks so much for the picture, Gus. I was just about to comment on the lack of sashing when your next post popped up. Fascinating, isn't it? And look at the side of I-9 -- the pattern has the points of the melons positioned right at the edge of the finished block, but they're clearly +/- 1/4" away from the edge. And I've already restitched a couple of them because they weren't lined up close enough to the edge!
Another thing worth mentioning is that the original quilt has the signature "kite" on the bottom left corner, not the bottom right. The basket block of Jane's quilt, block J-12 according to our numbering system, stands straight up on its base in the quilt. You can see by looking at the picture I just posted that I-10 is in between J-10 and H-10 and above, not in front of I-11. The lady who took all the pictures said it was obvious from the way it was hanging what the top was, etc. So in order to look at the quilt properly, you need to rotate your book cover, or any of the classic pictures of the quilt clockwise one side.
it is easy to see how it could be turned the other way - when you think about how books are written - you would expect the "signature" to be at the last possible location - bottom right.
I've often wondered why the basket was on its side! :D
Here's Week 59 -- a new and somewhat improved I-10, a strange looking BR-9, and BR-10. When I lay the ruler on BR-9, I can see that the seam allowance will cover the left side, so it'll turn out okay.
WOW!! Ladies ... very great blocks! I like all!
And I like the photo I-10, Gus!
The block quilting can be seen perfectly! That is one of the issues that brings me sleep when I think of DJ!
Thanks for sharing it! And if you can get more, could make a gallery on Picasa so that all can access! I would love to! Lol!
I am quilting "My hearts", but everything has complicated... I hope to finish it soon, so just subtract 2 more to DJ!
A big hug to everyone!
Having not ever had the opportunity to go to the Bennington [or anywhere else in Vermont for that matter!] I really dont know what their regulations are about photos. I know there are some online - I also know the person who took this one has a great camera and didn't use a flash - a definite no-no. But I dont know her at all - she is 'three persons removed' :rolleyes: so it is up to her if she wants to share. I saw only a few pics on retreat, I know they all exist. I would love to have them as I am sure we all would. I have thrown the question out there but it has to go through a couple of people before I know the response. I will not post anything without permission [having said that, I guess I did post the one] The attorney in me[and the rest of the ethical me] says I have to ask.
....now on to actually working on Jane!
katybob - love the blocks! especially BR10 - it looks like a fresh flower :)
are you totally up to date?? ....:hunf::)
Thanks, Gus. I think these three are far from my best attempts, but after putting together the Civil War DJ, I've learned that the mistakes really don't show as much as you think they will. I am up to date and a little ahead of the schedule. Can't help it :o -- although I'm now retired and only work part-time in the spring, I've worked with deadlines most of my life and can't seem to quit!
I agree with Gladys on the pictures of the original quilt. It's so helpful to see how Jane quilted her blocks. That's one of my issues, too. I hope you're able to get permission to post at least a few of them.
OK so I started to work on I-10 tonight.... I think my brain has left the building... what was I thinking? First I changed my mind on the fabric after seeing Jane's. I had originally picked out a real flowery overall purple fabric - kind of lilac. I will use it elsewhere. I decided I wanted to use some kind of larger print with some olive or brown in it and I did have one large square of this. Then I just cut some 1 1/2" strips of that and the background and put together four mid sections. I machine sewed these along with 2 1/2" square of background, which I sewed to one side. I then cut a 1 3/8" square of background and made a template for the four "arrow" points. The hole left by the arrow I cut out of paper I used to audition my print fabric. I hand sewed the flat bases around the small square and what I ended up with is what you see here.... now to continue or not??? The problem is, I thought I could simply applique the unit on top of the background I created. The pattern is transferred to the points... one problem. When you have that funky center seam in the background corners, you can create a much much sharper point. If you applique the point you can never get that sharp because the fabric seams will fray... hmmm. [to be continued after I sleep!]Attachment 398838Attachment 398839Attachment 398840
That is what I was thinking, Gus. Look at the left side, white piece to the left of the square - it's pieced. As for me I'm just happy I got this block done. I reverse sewed EVERY side! ROFL Kind of like when you finish buttoning your coat and realize you were 'off' by one buttonhole. Thanks for posting that picture, because it is so hard to see detail from the book.
Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
Attachment 398863 I-10 Iris' Medallion