Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/judys-3rd-mystery-quilt-train-ride-t203100.html)

Shadowirish 11-17-2012 12:38 PM

Wow, Cindy, that was fast! The reds and whites are really pretty together.

Caroline S 11-17-2012 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shadowirish (Post 5663281)
Wow, Cindy, that was fast! The reds and whites are really pretty together.

Ditto here also. Cindy must be the "teachers pet" ha ha. I am still wandering this morning, printed off the clue, dug out my vintage Elna Supermatic to use making the next quilt on the design wall, pressed some cord fabric I purchased for another quilt, organized and cleaned my sewing space, pulled the fabrics for Clue 6, vacuumed, loaded dishwasher, did another load of wash. OMG, I am tired already. Thinking about heading to the club car for awhile.

YC Quilter 11-17-2012 02:08 PM

Oops, don't have enuf of my E and F fabrics. Short by 1-1.5 in. Hope the store still has some!

chefbwarner 11-17-2012 02:08 PM

I am c/p the second half of this clue because I am so confused. The first half uses F/D and how to sew/subcut. The second set uses E/B for cutting but uses the following directions for sewing and subcutting. There is no reference to the E/B. Oh help me please, pretty please LOL " Sorry - I forgot to take a picture of the E and B fabrics. See bottom picture for what you will be cutting)

From E cut five 2½” strips
From B, cut three 4½” strips .
From B, cut four 2½” strips.
Use accurate ¼” seams. Make strip sets as described here.
Sew one 2½” strip of F with one 4½” strip of D. Press well. You will have a piece 6½” wide by WOF long. Make 2 more sets like this one. Press all 3 strip sets -- all strips sets need to measure 6-½“ wide. From the strip sets, square up one end then cut off 2-½” section, making piece that measures 2½” wide x 6½” long. You will need 48 of these pieces. Discard left over piece.
Now, sew the remaining pieces as shown, with the F in the middle, and a piece of D on either side. Make one more strip set. Press both strip sets well. The strip sets must measure 6-½” wide. by WOF long. Square up one end, and cut a 2-½“ section., which will measure 2-1/“ x 6-½” You will need 24 of these pieces. Discard leftovers" Thanks and hugs from sunny but cool Northern Florida

chefbwarner 11-17-2012 03:18 PM

OK, I went for a walk and I think I've figured out where to substitute the E and the B. At least I hope I have. Because of the miscuts on the bias diagonal clue, I was short on fabric so had to substitute another pink. I guess I've had an addled day of it all. I had such good contrast on all the other clues and now I don't. I think I should have swapped out the E and F's. Oh well too late to turn back now. *sigh* think I need to eat a little something. Hugss Retta

Cindy60545 11-17-2012 03:20 PM

Chef - F/D is the same as E/B. See my posts a few posts back.

Cindy60545 11-17-2012 03:33 PM

CINDY..........how on earth did you get this clue done so FAST? :D Me thinks you sneaked a look at Judy's clue, before we did!! I am going to have to keep an @EYE@ on you little lady. Love your Red & White combination, it's gorgeous. Happy Birthday to your GS for me.

:D :D :D :D[/QUOTE]

I was sitting here drumming my fingers on the desk watching for the clue! Had the studio all set up & ready to rock, just needed the directions. Read them all thru while they were printing (slow printer!), understood, cut, chain sewed, ironed & then cut again. Walla! Finished for this round! My guess is we're going to start assembling next week, or at least I hope so! Starting to run out of fabric to cut! I can't get any kind of handle on the pattern yet, I'm absolutely baffled by this one! Judy's done a great job of keeping this a mystery, for sure. She's bringing it right down to the wire! I try to start planning the quilting of the quilt as I go along, but I can't envision anything yet at all. The last one popped, I think, with this clue & could plan some quilting for them, but not this one! Maybe next week....
GS's Birthday party was OK, not used to having 13 kids running around. He's going to be with me this entire week, because of no school. Can't wait! It's already stacking up to be a busy week with Turkey day & hubby will be home for a few days too. Utter pandemonium will prevail this week, so I had to get my clue done in piece & quiet!

paintmejudy 11-17-2012 04:38 PM

chef, sorry you were a bit confused for a moment, I know it is so hard to do something like this when you are not sure what you are going to end up with.

Cindy, you sure got those done fast. And to everyone - no, she is not a teacher's pet nor did she have any inside info. LOL

dart1 11-17-2012 05:46 PM

That's a lot of homework Judy! About thru - like Chef, little confused for a moment, but figured out what was meant. Was in JoAnns today and found a good deal on Fiskar blades. Buy one pack get the second pack free. Got 10 blades for around $2.90/blade. That's cheap here.

DebLuvsQuiltng 11-17-2012 07:08 PM

Just wanted to say I have thoroughly enjoyed this "train ride". This is my first mystery project and I must say I have not anticipated anything so much since childhood Christmases! Thank you for hosting this Judy. It has been a really fun project.