Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine. >

Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Default Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

I have never liked it. The digital setting kept getting all out of whack. The washer would shut off in the middle of a cycle and when restarted would drain out the water and start all over. The different cycles were over an hour long, some 70 min. That is plain silly. The only good thing was it is excellent for washing fabric on the hand wash cycle. No loose threads or twisted fabric. I had enough of the blinking lights. Went to Lowes this morning and got a basic Maytag. Well as basic as they make them now.

DH said well now the dryer won't match the washer. LOL I couldn't care less, no one sees them anyway.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-05-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Why can't they make washers and dryers like they used to? I replaced my washer/dryer when I moved, because the laundry room had a gas hookup and no electric for the dryer. Both were 10 years old, so I figured they wouldn't last much longer anyway. (Remember when a good washer would last 30 years?) I bought the same brand, top loading washer, thought it would be just like the old one. Wrong! The washer sounds like a train when it's agitating, is not as user friendly, and the dryer's lint trap is difficult to remove. The only "improvement" is that it plays a little song for me. Who needs that from a washer or dryer?
Old 10-05-2016, 01:17 PM

My old washer bit the dust . I bought a new one, wanted an agitator.ha,ha. I also have a train in my washer. I wrote the company and told them I made the worst purchase of my life. They are all like this. I guess. They all look alike. I told them whoever designed this should go get a different job.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

My washer isn't digital that I know of but once the cycle begins to wash there's no opening unless you hit pause. The instructions of course are under the lid so no opening mid cycle. I liked when all I had to do was push the cycle button in to stop and pull it to begin again. The guy at the store said it was a safety feature so kids wouldn't fall or climb inside. I used to put the fear of the banshee in me to my kids. They were never allowed to sit on it or anything. I dislike it immensely but am getting used to the way it works. My neighbor got one of those that have no agitator spin in the tub. She hated hers so bad she made she had a different one ordered. Since her hubby picked the other one out, she told him he could put it in his man cave otherwise she was going to take a sledge hammer to it.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:37 PM

I must be as much of a dinosaur as the rest of you! I love my good (15+ yr) old mechanical Maytag! I have many laundry issues but I think they are water-related vs machine-related. This whole thread is very interesting as I'll have to replace my beloved, 18 yr old Tahoe in the relatively near future as well. I do not want a car that drives for me; stops for me; talks to me; etc. I am terrified of what I'm going to have to re-learn. Anti-lock brakes were the 'latest & greatest' when I bought that car! I'm in big trouble. Not looking forward to the day the washer bites the dust either!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:33 PM

Nice to know I'm in good company. I don't care if it looks like I live in a museum, I rather have my old stuff.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:21 PM

8 year old Speed Queen laundry pair and I love them to death.

Now my 3 year old Maytag kitchen set (refrig, dishwasher, range) is another story. When oven is on, outside of the range gets so hot, you can burn your hand. I've researched it and others have the same problem. Ice maker quit and other problems I won't detail with the refrigerator. Dishwasher works ok, but shows drips and runs on the front all the time because it's stainless steel. I wish I had listened to my inner voice and bought white instead.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:06 PM

I have a GE top loading. Yeah it's digital, but it has an agitator & a pause button & stops when you open the lid. It's pretty quiet. FYI....the Goverment has decided ALL washing machines only rinse in cold water anymore to save electricity. I am with others....the cycles take much longer. So much for saving electricity.

My dryer is much older & they don't match. Heck I think I've had 3 washers since I bought the dryer.

My stove is a 40", 2 ovens, coil burners & a electric griddle in the middle. Also has the stove top light/shelf ( they don't add these anymore). I think I bought it in 1989. Replaced all burners, griddle, oven thermostate, etc. I refuse to get rid of it, even tho it's old. They stopped making 40" stoves a few years ago. I have a local guy who has a appliance grave yard & he does repairs cheap.

I bought a new refrigerator a couple years ago. My old one was over 25 years old & sounded like a thrashing machine when the generators kicked on. The seals were in need of replacing, but I couldn't find parts for it.

My dishwasher is over 25 years old. We took an undercounter model & made it portable. Got wood tops from older dishwashers (at the appliance grave yard) & we built a cabinet to put it in. It's like a floating work island .

Give me old stuff any day. It'll outlast any of the new appliances.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:51 AM

We have a septic system so we need to use low water machines. We had a may tag Neptune when they first came out. What a horrible machine, had to have major repairs twice. I bought a Maytag Top loader 6 years ago and it is a decent machine. Still low water. The Neptune dryer is 23 years old, never had a problem....Except, I just bought all new kitchen appliances, granite, porcelain tile, big purchase. Now dryer is acting up and TV in main living area turning itself off. What the heck!!! Sure hope the new appliances last a few years. I finally got rid of my grandmothers refrigerator that was 60 years old. Was still working!,
Old 10-06-2016, 03:57 AM

New fangled washers are a pain in the behind. My sister had one and if you put your permanent press on a cycle it wasn't designated for by the company then it would take up to 70 or 80 minutes to wash because the sensor didn't recognize it.