I remember when....

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

when I was at Walmart the other day this lady in front of my had a carton of 6 bottles of strawberry pop. The sight of that took me back to my childhood.

I remember going into town(we lived in the country) to Glanzman's grocery store. This was late 50s early 60s. They had clothes for the farmers tractor parts boots groceries dry goods etc. I remember the only time I had pop was when we went to Glanzmans. You could choose between Strawberry or Grape or Orange Nehi or Root Beer or Coke. That was all there was. Candy was 5 cents. and I only got store bought candy when we went to town on a weekend.

I also remember our town of 400 had a bowling alley 2 gas stations(that only sold gas and oil) a library 2 churches and one tavern. A bank and a feed store.

My grandpa used to carry a little black snap coin purse and he would give us kids all a dime. I would walk all the kids up to the dairy queen for an ice cream cone.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

I would love to hear all your rememberances from your growing up years. Especially those who grew up in other places than the US. My DH and I were talking about how much this world has changed. So it would be fun to reminisce here abit again. So jump in people!! Tell us your stories!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM

I was raised in St. Louis in the 40's and remember going to visit my aunt in the city and they would walk me and my sister down the street to the "confectionary" store - near as I can remember the name. We would be able to pick out a bunch of penny candy - seems like we both would come back with a whole paper sack of candy.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM

I remember my dad giving me two dollars every morning so I could go to the convenience store and get a Slushie and a small candy bar. :0D

I remember hearing how my grandparents would give my 9 year old dad money for Sunday school. He'd go buy a pop and hang out with the MP's at the gate instead. Back then, between wars, they had smokes in their holsters rather than weapons. He thought that was so cool. "Hey, are you gonna give the bad guys a hot foot or what?"
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

When I was a child we lived in Firebaugh Ca. back then it was a small farming community and everyone knew each other. If you were a child and you were seen goofing off or doing something you shouldn't be doing your parents would know about it before you got home. My favorite memory was that every summer there was a snow cone truck that Would drive around each neighbor hood and the snow cones were only a quarter each. There was always a long line of kids waiting for their turn. For a quarter you would get a great big snow cone and it tasted good not like the flavored ice in a cup you have to take out a loan to get these days.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 PM

My dad was in the Air Force and we traveled, a lot. We would go to visit family in their home town of Cullman every summer. We always managed to be there for the back to school clothes sales. My mother would put me in a changing room and I would try on every dress that might possibly fit me (we couldn't wear pants to school back in the dark ages). They would be on sale for $4 or less. Oh, how I hated those afternoons!

Then we would go to Kuhns Five and Dime. I would take my dollar and walk up and down isles and isles of toys, books, and candy. You could buy a coloring book, crayons and a small bag of candy for $1.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

My granny lived in the city, Brooklyn NY I remember the house she lived in and owned. It had 3 apartments however her and my uncles lived in the entire house, she didn't rent the apartments. Now I was 8 when granny moved so it was before then but I don;t know how young I was. It was the summer and I was staying with my granny. There was no AC, was it invented then I am not sure anyway the windows were open and fans were on. I don't remember how long I stayed all I remember is the smell of the exhaust from thrucks that come down the street. On garbage days now if the windows are open and I smell the exhaust of the truck I am brought back in time to grannys. A kind of strange thing to remember but I remember it like it was yesterday.

1 more thing there was a man that walked the streets selling Good Humor ice cream from a push cart. I MISS MY GRANNY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
JJs
Banned

I grew up in Florida on the west coast - and it was SAFE.. I'd ride a bike all over town... now there's a gazillion people there - even more during the winter and I'd no more let my kids or grandkids ride around there than the man in the moon.
I remember on Halloween people who didn't want to answer the door would put baskets of candy on the front steps and kids would take a piece or two and LEAVE THE REST for the next person.
I remember when you went to school and actually LEARNED something - and had to know it to graduate.
I remember hula hoops!
I remember roller skates that fastened on your shoes - that had soles - no 'sneakers' anywhere! 0h I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key (I still have my key!)
My grandmother had a plum tree and a HUGE pot-bellied stove (she lived in Indiana) and she loved auction sales and peach pie. We moved up there in my senior year (gag) and I took her to the auctions - it was her last summer - I'm eternally grateful that I did that....
Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM

I remember going to girl scout meetings and buying a candy bar on the way. My dad was in the army so I lived overseas until I was a teenager so it was safe to walk everywhere on base. I remember going to the movie and for less than a dollar, getting a ticket, a chocolate covered ice, and a popcorn. I remember going trickortreating and everyone answering the door and not turning out the lights, didn't have to worry about eating homemade popcorn balls or cookies. I remember my mom always being home when I got there and having three meals a day and learning responsibilities early. And my favorite memory is visiting Granddad because he always had a brand new pack of Wiggleys chewing gum for us. Too many wonderful memories. This brings back so much.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM

I remember when I was five my Mom and I moved back to Ohio, she was divorced from my Father (unheard of back then). We lived in a Boarding House and just had a bedroom and shared a bed, and I woke up one night when I was about 5 and she was handsewing a dress for me to wear the next day for the first day of school. Thought nothing of it back then, but when I got older I realized the sacrifices she had to make in order to raise me by herself. She worked at a drycleaning place and made $25 a week. Wow,,,,we've come a long way baby.!!!