Kindles

Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Got my Kindle earlier this year & LOVE IT! Took a cruise in May & it was wonderful to be able to read multiple books, but carry only one small, easy to pack item.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:48 PM

I have a nook which I purchased just before the color one came out (oh well). But I like it a lot. It is easy to download books and there are lots of free ones. Rejoyce >
Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Love my IPad, particularly now that I can check books out of the library on it.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM

i have a kobo and i love it. its just for books which is perfect for me as im an avid reader. i was on vacation last week and had my 9 yr old neice and still managed to read 6 books.
carla
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Love my Kindle
Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I am one of the odd ones... I prefer a old fashioned book in my hands :D:D:D
Amma, I don't think you're odd at all. I LOVE the smell and feel of books. I at one time had over 250 books that I sold because I just had no more space for them. I still have an easy 300. They range from history, to series I enjoy, to quilting, crochet, knitting, "How to..." books and on and on and on.

My Kindle was a gift from my brother and have found it does have its uses. As others have said, I usually keep it in my purse so that if I have to wait at the dentist, doctors, etc. I have something to pass the time. It's extremely light weight. You can adjust the print from very tiny to VERY large. You can rotate the page from reading vertically to horizontally. You can read it outside and there is absolutely no glare. You can order a book from Amazon.com and within 30 seconds its in your reader. There are many older books to download that are free. As far as sewing related things I've downloaded are "1000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts and Tips" by Deepika Prakash, very old directions for a crocheted "Rose Luncheon Mat "and "Quilting Designs From the Past (300 designs from 1810-1940) by Jenny Carr Kinney....this I found to be very interesting and informative.

Would I ever give up real books? No. But this is a great supplement.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM

I forgot to add, in re to the Kindle, I love the fact that I can have 3 books going at once and it holds my pages so that I can flip back and forth from one to the other and it will automatically open each page to where I left off.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 PM

My dh bought me a nook for my birthday. Love it, easy to read and eat at the same time. Easy to download books from the library, don't have to worry about returning on time. goes away all by itself. Heard sometime in the fall youre going to be able to download books to the kindle from the library, also love the lend me feature
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rejoyce
I have a nook which I purchased just before the color one came out (oh well). But I like it a lot. It is easy to download books and there are lots of free ones. Rejoyce >
I bought an original nook even though the color one was available and on sale. The original has a fantastic battery and is easier on the eyes.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
I forgot to add, in re to the Kindle, I love the fact that I can have 3 books going at once and it holds my pages so that I can flip back and forth from one to the other and it will automatically open each page to where I left off.
Yes, I love that feature - I love Agatha Christie mysteries, but when I have finished a story of Hercule Pirot, I am ready for something in another not so drying direction before tackling the next one - and being able to flip back and forth is fabulous. :-)

Marysewfun