Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kitty Cat Predicaments and other Pet Disasters! >

Kitty Cat Predicaments and other Pet Disasters!

Kitty Cat Predicaments and other Pet Disasters!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

When my kids were young and we lived in the country we had a mama cat that decided to investigate a jar that had rolled away from the burn pile. It was not hot. She decided to investigate and got her head stuck. Nothing we did got her unstuck so my DH had to take a hammer and gently cracked the jar apart and off her head!! The things cats will get into!!

Another time we had rescued 5 fairly yound kittens when the mother was run over on the highway in front of our house. I had them in a box with a screen on top of it. Somehow they got out and we found them under the landing by the back door. Now this landing wasn't finished so the walls were no more than studs. But they weren't tamed and were too young to come when coaxed. We couldn't reach them so I got a 2 x 4 and stuck it down between the boards of the landing and used a string to draw their attention to get them to climb up the stud!! We grabbed each one as they reached the top! Needless to say we didn't use that same box again! LOL

At one time we had an aviary I and my DH and DD built for our 3 cockatiels and 2 parakeets. I made it 3 ft wide square by 6 ft tall. Unless you have easy to handle birds don't ever make the aviary taller than you are!!! LOL

Our cockatiels were no problem. They loved to be handled but the parakeets Ike and Midi(My Inlaws nicknames! LOL) were not very tameable. We had tried and tried and finally kind of gave up. So when we put them in the aviary I thought that would be their home. No problems with handling them right? Wrong! They were little houdinis! They kept getting out and when they did they figured out that if they landed on the top of that cage they could keep out of our reach!! Have you ever tried to catch a parakeet that runs across the top of a 6 ft x3 ft aviary??? LOL We ended up having to use towels to catch them when they flew.
Never again will I build an aviary that tall!! Or at least make the top so I can reach across it!! LOL

Got any stories of predicaments you want to share???
Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM

The only story I can think of is when I was in Jr. High (that dates me way back when) and we couldn't find the cat anywhere. She was due to deliver a litter of kittens anytime. We finally found her in Dad's underwear drawer with 5 new kittens resting on his underwear. We had a good laugh from that.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Our Saint Bernard was only a year old and was still big enough that she could not get out of a hole in our fence she would bark and scare people but she was a lover. So we thought that since it was close to Christmas one year we bought a huge blue ceramic pot and a 5 foot tree to put in it. Well 24 hours later we had a stump in a pot. She got so mad that we blocked her hole that she chewed the tree down to a stump. Another time she ate the tops off our sprinklers. and the topper that got us. We installed a new Air conditioner she had been inside most of the day besides a walk and after the installers were done My husband who I told you better keep and eye on Shy or she will go after the A/C he said she would never do that Well that was his first mistake not listening to me. Second one he let the dog out with out watching her. It took her all of 5 seconds to bite through the A/C wires. Luckily the guys had not left yet and they fixed it. We calculated in 3 years she cost us over 10,000 worth of damages.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM

I had a beagle who loved to chew up leather. And with a beagle's nose she could always sniff it out. I can't tell you how many leather items she chewed up - shoes, gloves, wallets, belts, purses, Bible covers, you name it. The funniest was once when I got a new pair of shoes. I slipped them on to go to work and decided they didn't fit right so I'd take them back. Slipped them off and left them in the closet. My mistake - I didn't close the closet door. When my daughter got home from school she called to tell me the dog had been in my closet and chewed up a shoe. I asked which one. DD said, "I don't know, all that's left is the sole." That dog had eaten a whole shoe. Strangely enough she never had any problems digesting all the stuff she ate either.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Years ago my brother came home from high school for lunch (we were walkers). After eating, he grabbed his gym bag and went back to school. When he got to the locker room and opened his gym bag, the cat jumped out and started running around the locker room! He finally caught her, stuffed her back in the bag, ran back home, and tossed her in the house!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boscobd
Years ago my brother came home from high school for lunch (we were walkers). After eating, he grabbed his gym bag and went back to school. When he got to the locker room and opened his gym bag, the cat jumped out and started running around the locker room! He finally caught her, stuffed her back in the bag, ran back home, and tossed her in the house!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I had a beagle who loved to chew up leather. And with a beagle's nose she could always sniff it out. I can't tell you how many leather items she chewed up - shoes, gloves, wallets, belts, purses, Bible covers, you name it. The funniest was once when I got a new pair of shoes. I slipped them on to go to work and decided they didn't fit right so I'd take them back. Slipped them off and left them in the closet. My mistake - I didn't close the closet door. When my daughter got home from school she called to tell me the dog had been in my closet and chewed up a shoe. I asked which one. DD said, "I don't know, all that's left is the sole." That dog had eaten a whole shoe. Strangely enough she never had any problems digesting all the stuff she ate either.
I have a German Short Haired Pointer who does that too only she'll eat anything! How it all goes through I'll never know!
I also have a beagle but she won't eat anything but food! Her nose and stomach are all there is of her! LOL She has one thought only over and over--food!food!food! On yeah and snacks! snacks! snacks! She'll walk on water for food! LOL
Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 PM

A few years ago I acquired an adult short-haired German pointer bitch. She and I had it round and round because she kept jumping the fence. One night I let her out to potty, but when I went to let her back in she was gone again. So I go outside and start yelling for her. She knows she is in trouble and comes running to jump back in the yard. I guess she slipped and failed to clear the fence. It looked like she was impaled on it, and she was hollering and screaming, so I race over and grab her as she hangs there upside down because her collar had caught on the fence as she went over. Well, I guess she was panicked, and I was gasping for air with my mouth open, holding this large dog upside down with her bobbed tail in my face, when her bladder lets loose! EEWWWW...mouthful of dog pee!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
A few years ago I acquired an adult short-haired German pointer bitch. She and I had it round and round because she kept jumping the fence. One night I let her out to potty, but when I went to let her back in she was gone again. So I go outside and start yelling for her. She knows she is in trouble and comes running to jump back in the yard. I guess she slipped and failed to clear the fence. It looked like she was impaled on it, and she was hollering and screaming, so I race over and grab her as she hangs there upside down because her collar had caught on the fence as she went over. Well, I guess she was panicked, and I was gasping for air with my mouth open, holding this large dog upside down with her bobbed tail in my face, when her bladder lets loose! EEWWWW...mouthful of dog pee!
:XD: :XD: :XD: :XD: Yeeuww!! Poor thing! You probably understand my situation with my GSHP then! Mollie is the sweetest natured dog there is but strong willed doesn't even come close!! I have trained dogs and this one takes the cake!! She does what she wants when she wants. It took me 5 Years! to get to the point where she minds me when she is in a controlled situation. But you let her lose inside or outside and all bets are off! So frustrating!! We have a fenced in back yard and I have a second wire fence in front of an 8 ft wooden privacy fence. My biggest frustration with her tho is she eats anything and everything she can get ahold of! Socks go down whole toys paper fabric anything she can put her mouth on. She is 7 now. Pretty well behaved on the whole as long as she knows I have the upper hand. She loves hugs and is always looking for handouts! Not that I let them have alot of people food. She gets carrots crackers and dog treats mostly.
She and I have a battle every time she goes outside. She will jump on the door to come in. I go to the door she backs off and acts uninterested. Won't come when called despite all the training with a rope outside and despite she knows exactly what I want her to do. I shut the door she jumps. I wait she jumps. I go to the door where she is standing and she runs away keeping an eye on me and the door. Til SHE decides she is ready to come in! GGRRRR!!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 PM

We have a hound dog named Duke and he is fully grown adn has always been an outside dog because we got him from middle DD and they never trained him when he was younger. You can't give him a bath, you can't get him into a vehicle and you have to be careful around him. He runs up behind you and jumps on your back and down we go. I carry a stick now and wave it around me as I walk. Anyway, He is a thief and a good one. If we don't use the deadbolts, he can turn the knob with his mouth and run inthe house. He grabs the first thing he can get his mouth on and runs out and off he goes. And he knows how to open the gate to his big fenced back yard. He gets out to run during the day as we live in the country but at night he knows its time to eat and go to bed. DH built a patio and put a swinging gate on it to keep him out and away from the front door....yup, you guessed it, he figuerd out how to pull the safety off and open the gate by lifting up the handle with his nose. We watched him do it. Now we use safety chains on everything we dont' want him in. ROFL. Pets are wonderful creatures.
Two new kitties stay in the house. No cute stories on them yet, they are just cute.

Baby kitties (the bruises on dh's hands are from the dog jumping up on him to say hello.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141333[/ATTACH]

Duke
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141334[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141328.jpe   attachment-141329.jpe