Olympics in London...

Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I agree that the flame lighting was awesome! I'm just disappointed that you can only see the cauldron in the stadium. I personally think they should have put it at the stadium entrance so it could really be enjoyed.
After the Olympics the stadium is to be converted back to a normal sized stadium, with parts removed. I wonder if the plan is for the cauldron to be outside the revamped stadium?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000 View Post
Our teams have worked so hard to get there, they deserve our watching. Our kids have to fund themselves, our govt. does not send them there as other countries who pay for everything. They deserve us to watch and be counted or soon the tv will not carry these.
I so agree.
Just like any Great quilter. We admire, appreciate and should support them if they are representing our country. and we often become curious how they got to where they are at. Thank goodness this is a hobby and not a lifetime of training and we don't have to sacrifice financial budget for a dream of a moment.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:56 AM

My DH will be watching most of the events. I'll watch some of them otherwise I'll be in my sewing room. I like the fact that, at least, for a few days there is accord by all the countries involved. Yes, it is competitive but usually not violent.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 AM

I love, love the olympics. It's the only time that I do watch sports. I get so excited by the competition. Nook has an app that follows the olympics and it's free so I downloaded that to keep watch with working and all. The only other time you see me interested in sports is at the kids games or a hockey or baseball game. I didn't watch very much of the opening ceremonies but last night I watched the swimming.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 AM

I agree with QuiltE and janedee it is awsome to be the host country of the games and no matter which country, we should all be proud and support the athletes from all country.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Have only just had a chance to read this topic, and I too was upset to read the comments about us Brits.

I was lucky enough to be successful in the "lottery" for tickets and was able to go to London to watch the qualifiers for the gymnastics yesterday. I spent the day in London, I walked most of the time as we had been told that the transport system would be very busy. We had already booked a river bus to take us to North Greenwich arena and back.

The thing that struck me was how quiet London was, people had been told to expect distruption and travel problems and so had stayed away. I could not help but think about all the small businesses that are going to lose trade during the games.

The organisation at the arena was great lots of people to direct and help with information all pleasant and friendly security effective but not any more bother than at the airport.

As to the opening ceremony I thought it was great, there were some bits I did not like but that was my personal preference (have never liked Mr. Bean). And as to Paul McCartney, yes he was there just to sing one song! And he would have been honoured to have been asked to take part in such an important ceremony for his country.

I watched the men's gymnastics and the US team was in the round I watched. They did good!

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
Yes - me to !!

When I read this thread last night - as I had watched the opening ceremony - I was just so sorry to read the negative comments and I could not reply straight away. We all have the right to air our thoughts - but sometimes I feel the less said the better! I do not think people realize how narrow our streets are here in the UK - and congestion can EASILY occur. Therefore commutes to work can be difficult at the best of times as general life goes on. I am SO proud to be British - as we all are of our nationality - but we excelled ourselves last night. Good luck to all participants and I pray that the games are safe and successful.
Dotty D England, UK.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
"They" was probably the government and the folks with the big bucks. It would be the same if your governor and the legislature and the prosperous business people in your state decided they wanted the prestige and attention, would they ask the citizens of North Dakota before going after it? No, they'd just do it.
They "govt" do anything they want and let the working class people out. someone else mentioned about how quiet London was and how many businesses will suffer. Will the govt reimburse them for what they lost in business. No, nor will they help those who won't have enough to make it through paying bill etc. We have people here who are starving, but all govt wants to do is cut help they will get, because we have overspent our budgets and congress can't figure out how to quit the spending. I maybe shouldn't have said anything at all except I lost a good friend because of what the "govt " is doing.