Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What does your community do about bullying? >

What does your community do about bullying?

What does your community do about bullying?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Unfortunatly when my sons were little there were teachers that were horrible to me when I went to them about my kids. I even had one teacher that bullied my learning disabled son. He is now an alcoholic and I have heard him bring up that incidence a few times. Small town and if you aren't one of the chosen few "upper class" "popular" kids they turn a blind eye. My son was literally beaten with bruises all over him where they ganged up on him and punched him over and over inside the small gym.This was the 4th grade! Nothing was done. Now 15 years later I have to look at the ringleader every morning at the hospital where I work, he is a Pharmacy student and I still have a horrible time not telling this punk. It is so heartbreaking. My oldest son was also bullied, lunch money stolen daily in the bathroom when I went to the school the teacher said " do you expect me to be able to watch every student every second" This was also 4th grade.She was a witch, and now the boy that was doing this is in the paper a few times a year they are 26 and he has been to prison twice that I know of. Maybe if he would have been diciplined then..... Unfortunatly the parents of bullys are often bullies as well.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Zero tolerance at our school, he goes to a small Christian private school grades k - 12 and only about 300 students so there is a lot of supervision.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:04 PM

My youngest was bullied at the bus stop when he was in first grade by a sixth grader. He lived next door so I went to the parents and told them about it. They took care of it and their son never rode the bus again. His father was a teacher. When my youngset was in sixth grade he was bullied by a high schooler at the bus stop. The high schooler would use drugs at the bus stop and someone told on him. He chose to believe my son did. He didn't. I called the high school and told the principal about it and he took care of it and told me that the older boy would not only not hurt my son, he would be sure that no one else hurt him either when the principal got done talking to him. He then told me the mother of other kids who rode the same bus had told him about the drugs.
When I was a teacher, I had a high school student who was low functioning and the smarter kids would taunt him to make him mad and get him in trouble. One day my student hit one of them. Their teacher told me I had to punish my student. When I asked her what she was doing to punish her students for starting it by being mean to him she told me nothing because they hadn't touched him. Also, that my student hard to learn to get tough emotionally and take it. I told her that I would not punish my student if she let hers off. She was angry with me. I stuck to my decision although I did talk to my student about it and how to react in a more appropriate manner next time. Once the smarter kids found out I wouldn't punish my student if they taunted him until he became angry, they quit. I taught at a center based school for severely emotionally impaired kids in Michigan.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 AM

When my autistic sun was in elementary school a little 'girl' called and was trying to get him to go for a walk at 9pm.. Long story short, was a boy and his friends (fellow classmates) When I called their mom she denied it, seriously, these kids called my work cell first, they got that number from the youngest brother. Anyways, sheriff was called and he acted like it was nothing until he found out what I did for a living then says "OH so you understand the laws" After that off to the other kids house he went, he wasn't going to do anything until our conversation turned to what I do. The school stepped in even though it did not happen at school. Our district here has a zero tolerance when it comes to bullying. It is sad to see where our world is headed...
Old 09-24-2011, 04:46 AM

"Unfortunatly the parents of bullys are often bullies as well." So true. I work with a bully who has gotton so good at you can not prove that she is a bully. There is supposed to a Zero tolerence here, but I don't know for sure since my grands are just barely in school.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

There is zero tolerance at DGD school. They start in preschool being taught the words they are not allowed to use. Any of the words or hitting gets them a trip to the office.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 AM

My daughter was bullied on the bus by an older boy. She was not innocent. She admitted to taunting him. My DH and DD went to the door of this child. Dad answered. DH told him what was going on and he called the boy to the door. DH said they child's face turned snow white when he saw them. His dad was great. He was made to apologize. DD did as well. He never bothered her again.
When she was in preschool there was a boy that would hit her. I went to the teacher and the director of the school. She did nothing so I told her when my child hits this kid back I don't want to hear a word and you will not say a word to her. I was told "we do not tolerate hitting in the school" to which I replied apparently you do or my child would not be getting hit several times a week by this kid. One day I was in the class and he hit another child. The teacher was USELESS!!! I called the child over and got right down on his level. I told him who I was and told him if he ever hit her again we would have a BIG meeting with his parents and all of the school administrators. Miraculously he never hit her again. AMAZING!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:24 AM

It is so hard to teach childern how to behave when the world view is everything goes. Society does not have any boundaries any more. We as society must change for our childern. It is so sad that we can not protect our childern. :?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Kids are so much more sensitive than they used to be my kids were bullied but learned to stand up for themselves. My son is a teacher I will ask him how they handle this now. I remember my youngest son had a "friend" that bullied him, one day at home he sat on him and told him how it was, he was about 12 or 13 the boy went crying to his mom who sent his older brother over to take care of it LOL I said No
Way let them work it out!! They are best buds now.
This is not true. I grew up in a poor family. I also went to a country school. When the schools were consildated and we had to go to the "city" school I had two strikes against me...I was an outsider and I was poor...it was vey hard to make friends. I was picked on, kids talked about me, many times loud whispers as I walked down the hall, ...the teachers did nothing. You were suppose to "buck up". My parents could do nothing it was all they could do to feed and cloth all 8 of us. Life was not as "rosey" as you may think. This was very painful and it affected my ability to concetrate on my studies, and as a result I was just an average student. This affected my self esteem for a very long, I even went through a period of depression. After high school, I ended up in a failed marriage ...I was seeking someone to love me..he was abusive. Took me a long time to find my present husband of 38 years. It has also taken me a long time to build my self esteem. I finally went to college after having kids, and now have worked my way up through the ranks and into a mangement position. It was tough.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:51 AM

Zero tolerance here; unfortunately it is not strictly enforced. We have had a couple of suicides in our district due to bullying at the elementary age level. So damn sad and senseless! I am thankful mine are grown. Yes, parents do need to get involved with their children's life. I would never be afraid of being sued when it came to my kids and still feel the same. There are intelligent ways to handle situations.