Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to know what these are? >

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I remember those. My mom had them on her water bottle for sprinkling on clothes while ironing!!
Me, too, Gayle. It's one of the things I wish I still had. I remember using the thing, then rolling the clothing and wrapping it in a towel. If you couldn't finish it all in one stand at the ironing board they went in the frig or ice box as we used to call it and you started over the next day. Those were the days we ironed pillowcases, hankerchiefs, sheets, daddy's boxers, t-shirts, EVERYTHING got ironed. whew
Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 AM

I used them as a kid to do the ironing.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 AM

I have my grandmas, and the bottle that she used.

Thanks for the memories!!!
Power Poster

Oh boy, those bring back memories. My mom used to put them in a coke bottle and sprinkle the clothes before ironing them.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 AM

[quote=pittsburgpam]They were my mother's and a small memento that I kept of hers. I hadn't seen one of these in a very long time and I remember her using them.

I have to admit I not only know what they are, but have in fact, used them! I remember long ago hearing the story about an older woman who was keeping her grandson for the day, and he bit a big hole in the the nipple of his bottle. It was the only one he had there. He was about 18 months old, and still on the bottle, and big enough to do some major damage to that nipple. He started to scream for his bottle when it came nap time, so granny put a sprinkler top on a soda bottle and gave it to him. Needless to say, all H broke loose when he lay down with that sprinkler bottle. Milk went every where, and granny had to rock him to sleep.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 AM

I have one that belonged to my DMIL. I used to have one years ago when I spent half a day every week ironing!!! Most of my pressing these days is quilting related!! :-D
Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 AM

[quote=shequilts]OK, now you'll all know how really old I am: My mom and grandmother used these inserted into a brown glass Clorox bottle. It was a little smaller in diameter than a 2 liter bottle. I can't imagine how many years since they put chloring bleach in glass bottles.

I remember my Mom calling Clorox "One-o-One." I am 66 today and that was a long time ago. My Mom is 93 and still calls it "One-o-One."
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
I remember the sprinkler tops, brown clorox bottles. I actually have TWO pull out cutting boards: they're awesome. What a stroll down memory lane.
Also remember the round foley ricer, can't make mashed potatoes easier or fluffier than that.
I use my cutting board that pulls out and I also use my Foley Ricer for mashed potatoes all the time. Also, I used my Foley Food Mill recommended by our doctor to save ,money on baby food and run it through the mill ourselves. We did. We have a nice healthy boy, age 46, father himself!!!!! Our neighbors have a son, who has never tasted canned baby food. He does it all with the Foley Food Mill. Great for making apple sauce too. Edie
Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 AM

When I saw your picture I said ooohhh out loud. I remember my mom sprinkling the clothes, rolling them up then putting them in the fridge. Thanks for the memories.