Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any left handed quilters out there? >

Any left handed quilters out there?

Any left handed quilters out there?

Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 AM

I'm left handed too. So is Jenny Doan at Missouri Star Quilt Co. You adapt. My grandmother taught me to quilt when I was still in elementary school. I begged and begged her to teach me, but for a while she didn't think she could because I was left handed. I persevered and she was happy when I caught on so quickly. I don't use anything special for lefties except my shears.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I'm so left handed I'm sometimes in reverse, lol. Along with everyone else's comments, I'll add that the only other thing I can think of is that I pin from the left, so my pins are on the left side of the foot when I'm sewing. Your DD will work out her own ways of doing things, just like all the rest of us do.

Cari
I'm a leftie and personally, I think that pinning on the left is an advantage. You don't have to reach through the throat to remove the pins. I don't really have any issues quilting left-handed, except for maybe the iron cord always getting in the way. Some irons have the cord in the back and center, which is smart.

~ C
Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 AM

Another leftie here! Wow, quite a few of us! I cut with a rotary cutter either right or left-handed but use scissors with my right hand. I also iron right handed. Hand sew with left hand. Eat and write with left hand. I guess I am ambidextrous as well. No real problem using my left hand when quilting. I just enjoy the process without giving it a thought as to what hand I am using.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM

I found I can rotary cut with both hands. Don't have to turn fabric. I use two different size cutters to distinguish them.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:08 AM

Aside from the usual left hander issues like switching sides for the blade on your rotary cutter the best and most helpful hit I can offer you is to make some row markers. I have always had an issue when working with a right handed helper. When 2 blocks are handed to me to sew I would invariably sew the pair together on the wrong side since the right hander would stack blocks one way and I would stack the opposite. You can purchase block markers (small squares of mylar with the Row # on it) or you can make your own set. Simply cut a whole bunch of 3" squares using a template plastic or even colored paper. Punch 2 holes in the middle and then mark them Row 1A>, 1B> and so on. I made enough so that I could mark up to 12 rows across and down. Insert your pin in one hole and out the other to keep the paper/plastic from turning. By using this method to mark my block placement I could pick them up at any time and not get them mixed up. Hope this helps you.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:01 AM

I have a south paw DD and we eventually hit on the "make it look like this" method of teaching. I made the example in my way, then let her do what she needed to to get the same results. - BTW- yes, I did teach her to crochet. That was fun! Lol!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Joanie2 View Post
Aside from the usual left hander issues like switching sides for the blade on your rotary cutter the best and most helpful hit I can offer you is to make some row markers. I have always had an issue when working with a right handed helper. When 2 blocks are handed to me to sew I would invariably sew the pair together on the wrong side since the right hander would stack blocks one way and I would stack the opposite. You can purchase block markers (small squares of mylar with the Row # on it) or you can make your own set. Simply cut a whole bunch of 3" squares using a template plastic or even colored paper. Punch 2 holes in the middle and then mark them Row 1A>, 1B> and so on. I made enough so that I could mark up to 12 rows across and down. Insert your pin in one hole and out the other to keep the paper/plastic from turning. By using this method to mark my block placement I could pick them up at any time and not get them mixed up. Hope this helps you.
i cut up a sheet of "art foam" into 1"x2" rectangles, punched a hole in them, and numbered one set with permanent marker, and put letters on the second set, so now I can mark rows and columns with my quilting pins. Cost me a quarter since the sheets were 4 for a dollar at the dollar store, and I already owned the hole punch and felt pen. Dirt cheap is my favorite price.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:06 PM

I have a left handed granddaughter, she had no problem with quilting but did so much better with the Kai left handed scissors when cutting (great scissors & reasonable price, they also carry a very expensive pair so keep looking thru the Kai site, I think I paid $30 or $40)
I taught my then 9 yr old right handed granddaughter to crochet a scarf, I was shocked to see left handed granddaughter crocheting because I didn't know how to teach her. The 9 yr old told me she just had her sister sit in front of her and do what she did-mirror image! It was so obvious to the 9 yr old but never occured to me.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 PM

I am right-handed and was able to teach my left-handed sister to knit by her sitting facing me as I taught (our knees together kind of position) and she just did the opposite of what I was doing. Worked like a charm.
Perhaps she could work across the table from you when learning.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 PM

Isaac Singer was left handed as so your sewing machine is actually left handed and you manage to use it. Being left handed is not a disease and doesn't affect quilting at all, IMO. Knitting and crocheting are a different story. I taught my right handed children by having them face me. Scissors, either left handed or ones made for both - there are lot of them out there now. Iron - center cord so you can both use it is the way to go.