Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any left handed quilters out there? >

Any left handed quilters out there?

Any left handed quilters out there?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 AM

I am a lefty and have had very few problems at all. I do have shears for lefties. Sometimes reading directions/ instructions get me backwards. I just have to remember to cut from the right not the left... I have books from Eleanor burns and her graphics are great, but If I mimic her graphics it's for a righty. I have to remind myself to switch.

When I'm teaching my Mom something and she grabs my Olfa ergo trimmer and it's backwards for her (the blade moves left or right).

Someone mentioned Missouri Star you tubes... Other lefty quilters are Leah Day and Amy Gibson (she has a GREAT free block of the month at craftsy.com).
Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM

I am definitely a leftie! I love my left handed scissors but have no problems with quilting and none of my left handed friends do either. We are in a group that quilts together once a week and we are about 50/50 (left vs right handed). I have quilted for at least 15 years and was not aware there was a difference in rotary cutters. I have lately found that titanium blades last longer but other than that Olfa has worked well for me!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 AM

I'm left handed and have adjusted to using everything made for a right handed person. Can't think if there is anything that is ackward for me. I do have to turn my rulers upsidedown occasionally though. Also have started to cut my fabrics from the right side instead of from the left. All my scissors are right handed too. Couldn't get used to the left handed ones.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 AM

I am ambidextrous, but can't switch doing most things from one hand to the other. I eat and write left-handed, cannot do either right handed. I bowl and bat right handed, cannot do with left. I pin right handed, cut left handed. My DD is right handed and has said my cutter is set up the same way hers is. The only problem I've really found is rulers are backwards for me. Unless I use the ruler bottom-end up, I have to transpose the measurements to cut. Sometimes I need to read directions with pictures in them several times to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM

I think Jenny from Missouri Star Quilt Company said she is lefty, maybe watch some of her videos and see what she uses and does.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:10 AM

I too am left handed and so is Jenny of Missouri Quilt company...let your daughter watch Jenny's videos.I have a rotary cutter that the blade can be moved also left handed scissors.

Mary-Lou

edited to see Bee said the same thing )
Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Vat

I, too am left-handed but I was a seamstress before I was a quilter. That hasn't bothered me at all. I do recommend
a Martelli rotary cutter (I have used several kinds of cutters and the Martelli are a little pricey but well worth it.) and a left handed pair of scissors. Martelli Enterprises Inc.
5450 North W Street
Pensacola, Fl 32505

(850) 433-1414
www.martellinotions.com

Hope this helps, Good luck ! ! !
Old 02-24-2015, 04:55 AM

I am a lefty who was taught only by righties! (talk about fun some days!)......I could not live without my Martelli ergonomic rotary cutters (one made specifically for left handed cutting).....,since I was taught only by righties, I cut with both hands (switching when my left gets tired to my right) so I have both of the Martelli cutters. It is better wo watch how your instructor is doing something (she should TAKE CLASSES)...as if you are in front of the instructor looking on, what you see is actually how the leftie would do it.......

I have a good pair of Gingher left-handed shears (which are nice), but I also use regular right handed scissors.....

She should watch several of Jennie Doan's YouTube videos - She is left handed - so those may help too.........
Old 02-24-2015, 05:28 AM

I am left-handed also and use the tools like right-handed folks do for most things. I do use the rotary cutter with my left hand though. My mother was forced to change to her right hand for writing and her handwriting was miserable. She took me to school and DARED the teacher to try to change my handwriting. I do not write upside down or drag my hand through what I have just written. However, open heart surgery changed all that when my left hand was strapped tightly for 5 days. The nerves were damaged in my left hand and I cannot write well, nor can I type on the computer well now. Therapy hasn't helped.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 AM

Left handed! you bet and one thing I hate is southpaw - Did you know that a sewing machine is built for left handers? You Bet - just sit down and experience it, Your left hand is always Free. Before electric typewriters etc the manual machines were the same way - you threw the carriage with the left - the docs you were typing were on the left- all that info was given me by my teacher a right hander. Me the left hander won state typing no errors 87 Words per minute no errors, manual Royal typewriter.
I learned to knit and crochet sitting across from my mom (mirror image) - The only thing I do right handed are scissors because when I was a kid we never heard of left handed ones.
I'm still a tad defiant cause back in the day left handers were considered by many to be mentally deficient.
So let her be and just teach and please please please stop pointing out to her - her left handedness - after all she's in her right mind! To coin Dr Seuss "Oh The Places You'll Go".