Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Batting for Potholders

Ida
    I purchased Insul-Bright at Hobby Lobby a couple of days ago for $2.59. First time I purchased it. I had actually gone in to get some solvable stabalizer for embroidery.

Dkm

cjr
    FYI --I've been making tons of potholders this fall, both for craft shows and Christmas gifts. I wish i had stock in insulbrite. I've used so much.

For what it's worth. hobby Lobby's is only about 18" wide. The last I purchased at Joannes (5yds with coupons) is about 40 inches wide. Cann't remember what LQs was priced or how wide.

JoAnn's and Hancocks both carry the insul brite for pot holder and other items for heat resistance.
    MB

I've been making potholders with 3 layers of pre-washed Hobbs 100% cotton batting (no scrim), but they are kinda stiff. I think I'll try the InsulBrite. Thanks!

I just started making pot holders this summer. In fact it became 'How I Spent My Summer Vacation.' When I checked on Etsy to see what everyone was using they were mostly made with one layer of Insul-brite and one layer of Warm and Natural. So that's what I did. So far so good. No complaints.

I always have had trouble with large pot holders flopping into whatever I was cooking so I make them smaller...6 3/4"

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    Does regular Warm & Natural batting work ok for pot holders? Does it protect your hands enough or is there something better to use?
    I use 4-5 layers of 100% cotton batting for my potholders. I use cast iron cookware & it is enough. I also use cotton fabrics for the binding and top and bottom layers of fabric.

I found that a square of jean fabric between two squares of cotton batting works real well. Do not use polyester...it melts.

Insul-bright for the heat

Quote Originally Posted by Dkm
    These look easy to make, thank you for the link I think I am going to give them a try! :thumbup:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast