Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batting for Potholders

Does regular Warm & Natural batting work ok for pot holders? Does it protect your hands enough or is there something better to use?

Insul-bright! It's made by the Warm Company, but it's an insulated batting just for things like pot holders and casserole carriers.

Blog Entries
    I like to use warm&natural and the other that keeps the heat away from your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiR
    Insul-bright! It's made by the Warm Company, but it's an insulated batting just for things like pot holders and casserole carriers.
    Do most shops carry it or should I just head to the web?

This is what I used in my pot holders. It has a look of having foil in the inside.

I would not trust just a regular batting!

Blog Entries
    Most all shops have it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    Joann's has it.

i use two layers of cotton and a layer of insul-bright

Blog Entries
    I bought some insul-Bright this morning at Joanne's regular price is $6.99 a yard, but I had a 40 percent off coupon. Its made to make pot holders or oven mitts. I just finished this one with my left over materials.
    Does regular Warm & Natural batting work ok for pot holders? Does it protect your hands enough or is there something better to use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby I got it for 2.59 a yard a few weeks back. I was surprised it was so cheap.

Blog Entries
    I got insulbrite at my Walmart, and I have some reflective stuff like you see on ironing boards I'm going to try one using one layer of reflective, and one layer of insulbrite. I thought two layers of W&N plus one of insul. was just thicker than I liked.

I have potholders that I made around 8 years ago. I used two layers of Quilter's Dream cotton batting. I didn't use the thinnest weight but the next one. I think it's the select weight. I don't like stiff potholders and these are just right. I also don't like the skimpy size you buy in the stores so I made mine a little bigger. They're big enough you can fold them in half and still use them if something's really, really hot.

Blog Entries
    You got a good deal!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby I got it for 2.59 a yard a few weeks back. I was surprised it was so cheap.

Thanks for all the input! As always my question get a quick reply....Blessing to you all!

I've made them just with W&N, as well as with Insul-bright, and either way works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    I like to use warm&natural and the other that keeps the heat away from your hand.
    Same here

I like insul brite with a layer of warm and natural

Girls, are you going to shoot me? I crochet potholders with Royale Crochet Thread #3, a mercerized cotton. I join two using a stitch My Mother used, single crochet. They are real protection....I know, you are making your own fabric, but they fit the hand well, protect it and are great for taking things from the micro too. This time I used the Gee's Bend approach and used many stripes of color irregularly as if I was running out of thread.They brighten my day.

Blog Entries

WalMart carries it if they have fabric. All our WalMarts still have fabric to one degree or another.

I watch for a cotton matress pad at the thrift store and use this in my pot holders . Great if you use iron skillets, Merry Xmas, Nimble Thimble

I make the heart shaped potholders that fit right into your hand (quilt shop pattern). I do know the Insul-bright works well, but I just use one layer of cotton batting along with a piece of the teflon fabric. The potholders are thin enough to fold when grabbing a hot pan and they still do their job of keeping the heat away!

I use one layer of insul-brite and one layer of warm and natural. Put the shiny side of the insulbrite to the back side of the potholder and the warm and natural to the top side of it.

I use a layer of insulbrite between two layers of warm and natural. The cotton batting makes it feel softer. Also, I use cotton fabric, including the binding and cotton thread, as polyester can melt or start on fire.

FYI - Insul-brite comes in 2 widths - about 22 inches and the standard 44 or so inches. The narrower one is about $2.50/yard and the wider one is about $5.00/yard. Which equals out to the same price (give or take a few pennies). Just depends on what you want/need. Nancy's Notions catalogue is $4.99/yard but you need to add shipping. I've purchased the narrower one from a quilt store. It also can be purchased in a pre-cut package but is lots more expensive this way (unless that's all you will ever need and will not purchase any more). Just do not use all poly batting - it conducts the heat (probably why the purchased ones don't always work well). And poly could melt.
    IMHO the cotton batting plus insul-brite is the best way to go. I prefer to see pretty fabric on both sides so not fond of the silvery stuff. Think I'lll try to get over to Joann's (about 50 miles one way) and see if they have some - have a bunch of great coupons.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

I used to make potholders to sell, and finally settled on using three layers of white felt. It protects against heat well. I used spray adhesive to stick the felt layers together. I never could come up with a regular quilt batting that protected well, held up in the washer, and didn't melt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast