Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Batting for Potholders

I have used insulbrite with a layer of cotton batting and it works well, I have also used a layer of an old cotton towel with a layer of cotton batting and it works just as well. I also make my potholders bigger so they can be folded in half for extra hot pots. Depends on what I have around when I get the itch to make potholders. I have been known to get towels from the thrift shop to reuse for innards.

Dkm
    This is funny...I just finished up about 8 potholders and tried a few different methods. I used the silver(ironing board material), insult-brite and w&n. I used 2 layers of insult-brite and 1 w&n. I'm going to have friends tell me which they liked best. I think the ones with the silver can be used as hot pads, too.
    I found a pattern on the web and then adapted it some and made some real easy holders. They are round with the hand holders attached....therefore no binding.

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby I got it for 2.59 a yard a few weeks back. I was surprised it was so cheap.
    That's what drives me nuts about Jo-Ann's in many respects. They mark the price way up then give you 40% off. It works for yarn because that is pretty much the same price everywhere but you REALLY have to be smart using those coupons. If it is the same price as everywhere else, go for it....OR use a coupon on the candy bars by the checkouts, LOL. Works for me!

I found a pattern on the web and then adapted it some and made some real easy holders. They are round with the hand holders attached....therefore no binding.[/quote]

Do you have the link for this pattern?

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    joanns carries it and it goes on sale occasionally too. I layer the insulbrite with a layer of warm and natural or insulbrite with a piece of my hubby's old jeans

Ida
    I purchased Insul-Bright at Hobby Lobby a couple of days ago for $2.59. First time I purchased it. I had actually gone in to get some solvable stabalizer for embroidery.

Dkm

cjr
    FYI --I've been making tons of potholders this fall, both for craft shows and Christmas gifts. I wish i had stock in insulbrite. I've used so much.

For what it's worth. hobby Lobby's is only about 18" wide. The last I purchased at Joannes (5yds with coupons) is about 40 inches wide. Cann't remember what LQs was priced or how wide.

JoAnn's and Hancocks both carry the insul brite for pot holder and other items for heat resistance.
    MB

I've been making potholders with 3 layers of pre-washed Hobbs 100% cotton batting (no scrim), but they are kinda stiff. I think I'll try the InsulBrite. Thanks!

I just started making pot holders this summer. In fact it became 'How I Spent My Summer Vacation.' When I checked on Etsy to see what everyone was using they were mostly made with one layer of Insul-brite and one layer of Warm and Natural. So that's what I did. So far so good. No complaints.

I always have had trouble with large pot holders flopping into whatever I was cooking so I make them smaller...6 3/4"

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    Does regular Warm & Natural batting work ok for pot holders? Does it protect your hands enough or is there something better to use?
    I use 4-5 layers of 100% cotton batting for my potholders. I use cast iron cookware & it is enough. I also use cotton fabrics for the binding and top and bottom layers of fabric.

I found that a square of jean fabric between two squares of cotton batting works real well. Do not use polyester...it melts.

Power Poster
    Insul-bright for the heat

Quote Originally Posted by Dkm
    These look easy to make, thank you for the link I think I am going to give them a try! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I use white felt. It's a good insulator and not so pricey.

I use insul-brite and warm and natural.

Don't want to burn them hands!!

simple quilter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2