Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best reaction to a gifted quilt. >

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:42 AM

I made a bookshelf quilt for my former librarian boss after her husband passed away. There was a picture of him on one of the shelves. I was a little irritated as she took it home sight unseen. However, 2 days later I got an e-mail from her with a picture of the quilt on the back of her couch. She sent the same e-mail to each of her 5 children, who all loved the quilt. Since then, she has gone out of her way to invite me to quilt exhibits, and her children invite quilting friends over to Mom's to look at the quilt. That's the best reaction I've ever gotten.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
A few years ago I met my Fathers sister for the first time. I soon learned what a cranky woman she was and hard to get along with. I made her a quilt for Christmas that year and when she opened it she burst into tears. She told me she hadn't been given a Christmas gift in many years and for me to make something so difficult(it really wasn't difficult lol) just for her was precious. She talked about that quilt to any and everyone right up until she passed away last year. This pic was taken just a few days before she died, still using her quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563701[/ATTACH]

Cari
you were a blessing to her....I wonder why she was such an unhappy woman.....YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE!
Sandy
Old 12-14-2016, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I gave one of my grandsons a quilt with airplane appliqued on it for his 6th birthday. I was at his house and his mother mentioned it needed repaired. The appliques were coming off. When I told him I would have to take it home to fix it, he said, "But Granny, I have slept with that every night since you gave it to me!" I did repair the applique and the binding. He was then 20 years old. I made a new, bigger quilt and mailed it to him. Love that boy!
Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 AM

I stayed with an old high school friend for a few days and at the time I was making this scrap quilt of 2-1/2 squares. I thought it would go with her decor and so when I got it finished up I sent it to her and she said her husband loved it and called it his Suzi quilt. He said he loved that it was hand stitched and my stitches were so good. I felt it was really a nice compliment because he was a surgeon most of his life and would surely know good stitches when he saw them. I have not gotten the feeling that one of my quilts was going to be loved and used as much as this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563714[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  
Old 12-14-2016, 05:32 AM

I hope more folks will post stories; this is a wonderful thread. Thanks to all for sharing.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:41 AM

Probably the best reaction was from my daughter and son-in-law.
SIL was undergoing chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and I secretly worked with his mom to get signatures from all their friends and family (they live 3 1.2 hours away) into friendship blocks.

They both cried, and my daughter just kept saying over and over again, "This is just so awesome!". And I cannot tell you how many quilts she's been given in the past. But this one... well, I don't think there was a dry eye in the house when they received it!!
Old 12-14-2016, 05:45 AM

This is the best 'feel good' thread I've read in a while.....thank you all so much for sharing. Great way to start the day!
Old 12-14-2016, 05:57 AM

We were invited to our dear friends' daughter's wedding, and I had not planned to make them a quilt until my DH brought it up. I only had 3 weeks to get it to my longarmer. I kept thinking about rainbows and ended up making a relatively simple design using those colours (it's on the board here somewhere) At the reception the groom's mother talked about how, as a child, her son had always loved rainbows. I got goose bumps. A few days later I got a call from the bride. She was almost in tears, could not believe that I had taken the time to make such a gift for them. More than a year later, it has not been off their bed. May it keep them warm for many years to come.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:00 AM

Reading through tears. What a perfect thread for the Christmas season of giving. Quilters are so generous throughout the year and touch so many lives we never even know. Love ALL the stories..........thank you.

My story is about a quilted name banner to be hung over our granddaughter's bed. She knew her letters pretty well but I thought it would help her to spell her name. When her daddy was tucking her in after the first night he hung it, he went over each of the letters: What letter is this? "E" and such, touching on each of the letters to spell Emilia. After she said the last letter "A", he asked, "Do you know what that spells?" Her reply, "Nana loves you very much!" I couldn't have asked for a better response from a two year old! Her next quilt label said, " Becuz Nana loves you very much".
Old 12-14-2016, 06:03 AM

My story is about a pillowcase, not a quilt. Our elderly neighbors were like our parents living right next door, and when the wife fell and broke her hip, she ended up in rehab right after Thanksgiving. So, my grandson and I made her a beautiful Christmas pillowcase with Robert Kauffman's metallic Christmas ornament fabric to help perk up her room at the facility. We put it on her pillow right away and she was thrilled. Soon after that I came down with a terrible flu that hung on for weeks, so when she returned home, I didn't dare go to see her for fear of spreading the virus. She had a heart condition, and her health went down quickly, until one day she passed away, quietly in her bed. Her daughter called and asked if we wanted to come by and say our goodbyes. As we walked into the house her daughter warned me that she was on her pillowcase, so I wouldn't be shocked, as it was in in early spring. I was amazed when she told me that her mom wouldn't let them take her pillowcase off...only to wash it and put it right back on! Apparently she was so in love with it, she wouldn't part from it! Later, during her funeral I discovered that the pillowcase was still holding her at her eternal rest! I still miss her! I was never so touched by the effect such a simple, effortless, tiny gift could mean so much to someone! You just never know!