Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Coats threads

This was all I used for years until I had trouble with it getting slubs and breaking even for hand sewing I tried to use some for binding last week and the same thing happened. This started to happen to me about 3 1/2 years ago.

I like Coats Dual Duty and XP - never had a breakage problem or slubs. The stuff I have is smooth and strong and comes in beautiful colors - most of it is from the 70's and 80's, so it's 30-40 years old. Easy to do hand-sewing with it, too.

Every time I buy a "new" vintage machine in a cabinet, at least one of the drawers is stuffed with spools of thread. I keep the Coats Dual Duty and XP because it will usually sew just fine.

I also use Star size 30 cotton quilting thread - very nice thread, smooth and matte.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    I've used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread for YEARS with no complaints or problems (both piecing and quilting charity baaby quilts).
    This has been my experience as well. It was what was mostly available for as long as I've been sewing (40+ years).

Blog Entries
    My fussy machine has sewn for 36 years with C&C Dual Duty with no problems. I like the fact that some polyester makes it stronger. My LQS employee recently told me DD has changed and is coming off the spool twisted, but so far I've had no trouble. I also like Guterman. I don't care for C&C 100% cotton for machine quilting.

I used to use them but the recent spools I bought have been terrible with lots of lint and breakage. So I switched to Connecting Threads thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419
    I've used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread for YEARS with no complaints or problems (both piecing and quilting charity baaby quilts).
    This has been my experience as well. It was what was mostly available for as long as I've been sewing (40+ years).
    That is all I ever used until just recently. But it is still what I use most. I have never had an problems of any kind. Personally, I find it hard to believe that a machine knows what thread is going through it, but that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    That is all I ever used until just recently. But it is still what I use most. I have never had an problems of any kind. Personally, I find it hard to believe that a machine knows what thread is going through it, but that is just my opinion.
    Trust me, the computerized, do everything but wash dishes, new machines know. And they tell you they don't like cheap thread.

Banned
    The new Coats thread is not the same as the older.
    I prefer the older, it was smoother and easier to hand stitch. I was at a shop the other week that is selling out and I bought a bunch of the older Coats thread.

Blog Entries
    Prefer gutterman or sulky, c& c breaks too much, lower quality thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Trust me, the computerized, do everything but wash dishes, new machines know. And they tell you they don't like cheap thread.
    Guess I need to tell my new Janome 9700 that, !

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast