Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Coats threads

I have always used this thread both for sewing clothing, making quilts and also hand quilting. No complaints----
    Good luck, Kutnso

I have used coats and clark 100% cotton many times and have not had any problems, but it does give off more lint than some others. Need to clean the bobbin area more often when using it. Mettler silk finish is really nice. I use more cone threads now so use robison anton alot. My very favorite is aurifil but it is expensive. Aurifil has very little lint.

good Luck

Suzy

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    I've used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread for YEARS with no complaints or problems (both piecing and quilting charity baaby quilts).
    This has been my experience as well. It was what was mostly available for as long as I've been sewing (40+ years).
    That is all I ever used until just recently. But it is still what I use most. I have never had an problems of any kind. Personally, I find it hard to believe that a machine knows what thread is going through it, but that is just my opinion.
    I use C&C with no problems. I like the 100% cotton on the big spools. I have wondered how a machine knows what thread is being used also, but I have a 40/50 year old Necchi (which I use almost exclusively) and there are some threads that make it scream at me! It likes C&C so I give it what it likes!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    When buying cotton thread, look for the words 'Long Staple Cotton' or preferably 'Extra Long Staple Cotton' on the spool or packaging - this is what determines a thread's strength and the amount of lint it produces. IMO it is a false economy to put cheap thread in a relatively much more expensive sewing machine.

I too use Connecting Threads or Gutermann. I heard at my last guild meeting that all cotton thread is going up in price just like the fabric.

Coats is pretty cheap thread but my machine does fine with it. I use it for piecing and higher quality for machine quilting.

I have not had any problems with it.

I've always used CC threads. The only trouble I've ever had was when I tried the machine quilting thread; it kept breaking. I switched back to the dual duty for machine quilting and had no problem. Holds up just fine. My grandkids' quilts have been washed dozens of times and they're still holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I've never seem Coats threads in the UK till now, but one of my local department stores has started to stock them. I'd be interested to know what people think of them, ranges that are good or bad etc., for piecing, machine and hand quilting.
    I use there thread for quilting and there embroidery thread for machine embrodery. Sometime you can get it at JoAnn's for 50% off

Blog Entries
    I use it all the time and don't have any problems with it!

Blog Entries
    C & C just makes too much lint for my machine.

I've never seem Coats threads in the UK till now, but one of my local department stores has started to stock them. I'd be interested to know what people think of them, ranges that are good or bad etc., for piecing, machine and hand quilting.
    Used to be alright for a lower-end product. Now they have changed how they make the stuff and it's awful--thick and wirey---I wont use it.

Blog Entries
    I've never had any issues with it at all. I also use Connecting Thread's thread.

I had a friend who worked at Hancocks and she said they had many complaints about Coats and Clarks thread after it's place of manufacture was changed (Was it to Mexico? hmm, can't temember). I have never had any problems with it myself.
    Contrary to popular belief, it does not hurt your quilt to use cotton wrapped poly thread. Some quilters will tell you that poly cuts your cotton fabric. it does not. The fabric may wear out before the thread is all.

I machine quilt with the Pfaff Grand Quilter - tried all sorts of threads - they all seemed to break when I have half way through a row of quilting - someone told me to try Coates and now its the only thread I buy for quilting - the cotton thread - no breaks, no lint, lovely stitches. I use it in the bobbin as well....

Blog Entries
    IMHO I would never purchase this brand. Far too much lint from the threads, tensile strength is poor, and you can just get much better quality from Connecting Threads and they ship all over.

What do you mean by slub or slubby? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I use whatever Wal-mart has that I like that day. Most of the seem to say "all purpose/dual duty" on them. I also use super cheap cones of thread. Maybe I'm just not far enough along in the quilting process to understand why some threads are better than others, but for me as long as my machine will sew it and I get the look I want, I use it.

Ditto. I've used it since began sewing way back then. (don't ask) When I was hand quilting, I also used their quilting thread. I have no problems. Neither do my machines. Marge

Coats is NOT able to be used in my Pfaff. I have seen (not my machines), it KILL a machine (motherboard). You do better with other brands, even when you pay more (you don't have the high cost of machine repairs). I have uses for hand quilting and it was just fine, but at the price of repairs on my Pfaff I just don't want to push it. I have used Coats on my small machine (Wards special 28 years old & it still does THE BEST!!! button holes - my Pfaff SUCKS at all 8 button holes). Coats works in the NON computer machines.

Blog Entries
    Too linty and lumpy to suit me. I prefer Gutermann.

Blog Entries
    I have used C&C Dual Duty for years and have no problems and use their hand quilting thread as well.

Blog Entries
    I've used Coats and Clark for years as well. For many years, it was all one could buy!
    I use the cotton covered poly for regular sewing; the craft and machine type for my machine quilting; and the 100% cotton for hand quilting. There are also diff. thicknesses for top stitching and for buttons. You have to read the label !! Of course now JoAnn's only sells the 100% poly...it's okay too.

There is only one color that I had problems with... and it's the perfect blending color called FAWN - a dull purple-ish, gray-ish, beige-ish...Anyway... it always
    frayed esp. when hand sewing my appliques. DARN!!! I loved that color!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    I've used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread for YEARS with no complaints or problems (both piecing and quilting charity baaby quilts).
    Same here.

No problems with Coats and Clark, DD, or any other type. apparently none of my machines are thread snobs!!!

Power Poster
    I use coats and clark with no problems and I also use gutermann which is my favorite.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast