Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Coats threads

i have used coats and clark thread for many years and have never had a problem , i few times i have dome FMQ with it and my machine has no problem with it

Quote Originally Posted by KathyKat
    I used to use them but the recent spools I bought have been terrible with lots of lint and breakage. So I switched to Connecting Threads thread.
    Me too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyKat
    I used to use them but the recent spools I bought have been terrible with lots of lint and breakage. So I switched to Connecting Threads thread.
    me too. and I have used coats for 45 or more years. but lately, it's been bad and I won't be buying anymore

Dee
    I always use Coats, Star and Threadart thread, with no problem at all.

For garment sewing I've used Coats & Clarks for over 50 years with no problems. Not experienced enough with quilts to comment. I sew on Berninas without problems until lately. The current C&C dual duty threads are made in Mexico and are "polyester covered polyester." I first noticed it didn't have the sheen like the cotton covered polyester, and it's stiffer and doesn't look nice on the fabric. Recent problems are that the spool sometimes jumps and the thread will be wrapped around the spool holder, sometimes breaking, and I've had to unthread and turn the spool upside down. I think I want to switch to another brand but I sew for charity and lately the institution I sew for gave me about a dozen spools of C&C so I guess I'm stuck with it for awhile, unless Hancock's would let me exchange it for Gutterman. I have bought vintage thread on eBay but it's getting scarce.

Blog Entries
    I was told when I bought my Bernina that I shouldn't use C&C because it is too linty.

Quote Originally Posted by cpfrog
    I've used Coats and Clark for years as well. For many years, it was all one could buy!
    I use the cotton covered poly for regular sewing; the craft and machine type for my machine quilting; and the 100% cotton for hand quilting. There are also diff. thicknesses for top stitching and for buttons. You have to read the label !! Of course now JoAnn's only sells the 100% poly...it's okay too.

There is only one color that I had problems with... and it's the perfect blending color called FAWN - a dull purple-ish, gray-ish, beige-ish...Anyway... it always
    frayed esp. when hand sewing my appliques. DARN!!! I loved that color!!!!

The thread I recently bought at JoAnn's was 100% cotton, it was labeled with just "Coats" no Clark and was in a separate area from the Dual Duty threads- it was next to Gunterman's I think. Is Coats the same as C&C or is it a different company?

Blog Entries
    C&C has many different types of thread. Some are not to be used on a sewing machine. If the store does not have the chart posted what each spool number contains then you don't know what you are buying. The 100% cotton machine quilting thread on the large no show spool is thick thread, not for piecing at all. Hand quilting thread is not to be used on any machine, the glaze will build up on the tension disc. The thread on the small spools are different then the thread on the larger spools. Way to confusing for one thread display rack.

I have used Coats for years. Now that I have a new machine I am using Superior thread. Boy what a great thread. Coats is very linty, and clogs my machie. It just depends on you and your machine. I think you just need to try it and see if you and your machine like it.

Quote Originally Posted by islandboundquilting
    I have used Coats for years. Now that I have a new machine I am using Superior thread. Boy what a great thread. Coats is very linty, and clogs my machie. It just depends on you and your machine. I think you just need to try it and see if you and your machine like it.
    The reason thread is linty is because it does contain cotton. The threads that are not linty are polyester. I can see this on my LA machine, as I have to clean out the throat every time I change a bobbin with the cotton thread, no matter what brand it is. I do not have the lint buildup with the poly thread. I can do an entire quilt before i clean out the throat area and there is not much to have to clean.

Blog Entries
    I switched to higher quality, Coats has 'dumbed-down' their quality so they can compete at Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by libber
    I switched to higher quality, Coats has 'dumbed-down' their quality so they can compete at Wal-Mart.
    If you look at the numbered ends of the spool, you will see that what Wal-Mart carries is a different number than the quilt shops (like me) carry. A few years ago I had a customer bring in a spool of grey quilting thread, Star 1200 yd spool. She said she had purchased it at my shop. Luckily it still had the end pieces with numbers on it and I compared the numbers and told her that she had not purchased the spool from me but has possibly got it at Wal-Mart. The look on her face told me that is exactly where she had purchased it. She then bought a spool from me and never had the problems encountered with the Wal-Mart spool.

When the spool jumps it's usually because one end of the spool has a little slit in the edge to put the thread into when not sewing to keep it from unravelling. Look to make sure you have the slit away from where the thread comes off, put it on the bottom of the spindle or away from where the thread is coming off from. The thread gets caught on that slit and causes problems Hope you understand this.

Good Luck

Suzy

I've used Coats and Clark for years as well. For many years, it was all one could buy!
    I use the cotton covered poly for regular sewing; the craft and machine type for my machine quilting; and the 100% cotton for hand quilting. There are also diff. thicknesses for top stitching and for buttons. You have to read the label !! Of course now JoAnn's only sells the 100% poly...it's okay too.

There is only one color that I had problems with... and it's the perfect blending color called FAWN - a dull purple-ish, gray-ish, beige-ish...Anyway... it always

Try Silk Thread for applique, number 242 -#100 is a taupe and blends with all colors. It is very strong. Just be sure to tie a knot after you thread your needle, this will keep the thread from coming out of the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarksGma

Try Silk Thread for applique, number 242 -#100 is a taupe and blends with all colors. It is very strong. Just be sure to tie a knot after you thread your needle, this will keep the thread from coming out of the needle.
    Forgot to tell you that is YLI Silk Thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Coats and Clark is fine for me. Of course, none of my quilts will ever be heirloom blue ribbon quilts. Try it out on a small project and see what you think. Everyone has different ideas.
    I do use Coats & Clark for piecing. I have to use other thread for my quilting machine, because C&C won't hold up to the speed.

Blog Entries
    My mom used to always say "don't buy that cheap thread, buy good quality C&C" and it was more expensive than other brands way back when. Well about 10 years ago I bought a huge box of threads at a garage sale and it was a mix of the 'expensive' C&C and the 'cheap' threads as my mother called them. Today, I'm still using all of those threads in every machine that I have including my LA. I have had NO PROBLEMS!

C&C are not all the same. If you look at each spool you will see them marked T2, T4, T6 etc. Each is a different weight of thread, the store should have a little chart to tell you how it relates in thickness to other brands. I find that many people do not understand the sizing on the needles that they purchase and are often using thread that is too thick for their particular needle (and often fabric) which is for sure going to cause shredding and lint. I also find that the lint factor is more of an issue of what kind of fabric you are sewing (fabrics are not all the same either). As long as you match your needles, threads and fabrics to the proper size I find that most any thread will act as it is intended. I think with all of the expensive threads that are available today it's pretty much like my mom saying "don't buy that cheap thread". C&C works just fine as long as I match my fabric and thread to the proper needle. The other thing that I find a lot is that people just don't change their needles often enough. That causes further stress on the thread as it is being dragged through the fabric rather than being inserted. If you can HEAR your needle going through the fabric, it's too dull in most cases. JMHO.

Blog Entries
    If C&C was really as bad as some say it is then it would be out of business years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    If C&C was really as bad as some say it is then it would be out of business years ago.

There's always a market for inexpensive items. Quality is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    A co worker use to own a small sewing factory that contracted sewing some clothes dept stores. He did all the sewing machine repairs. He said if the machines had outside threading lint wasn't a big concern, just clean when you see the lint. It's the inside threading the new machines have that lint build up will cause damage. You can't see or get to the lint in them. Vintage machines have outside threading with lots of thread guides. Thread guides are very useful for a good stitch. It's cheaper to make a machine with inside treading and horizontal spool spindles and few thread guides. The savings can go into other features of the machines that most want these days.
    This was interesting - thanks for sharing it with us.

I have noticed that the quality is not as good as it use to be.

The new Coats and Clark thread doesn't have the slits on the spool as they did years ago (except for the large Wal Mart spools.) Now the spools are made like Isacord spools or others with the smooth slot to tuck the thread into. I don't think it could get into that slot while sewing. I suspect when it jumps, it either has too much twist or else the polyester may have a coating that is clogging up the tension disks. It is really frustrating.

I've recently purchased 3 spools of Coat and Clark thread for my daughter's Italian flag and the thread kept breaking every two inches. Talk about time consuming and I have to clean my bobbin case way too many times. I even turned to my troubleshooting section in my Janome operator's manual and the bottom line is the quality of the thread. I am not impressed at all with this brand and will never buy it again. I always got it at WalMart, but now I am buying my thread from Connecting Threads online. I just ordered their 100% polyester thread in the large cone style that long arm quilters use in charcoal and silver and can't wait to try it out. A sale on the charcoal urged me to get 4 large cones and a silver was regular price. I was told that their threads are high quality and the lint is less because of that quality. I've used a natural color in 100% cotton from Connecting Threads and was impressed that the thread didn't break as often as the C&C brand. I plan to stock up over the next few weeks.

Same here, I've use Coats & Clarks 100% cotton thread and find it very satisfactory. I've use Gutermann and others and don't seem to get the same satisfaction as the C & C. at least for quilting. For embroidery I use the 100% rayon thread by Iris...don't even know if its made any longer but have a well preserved stock of it for the amount of machine embroidery I do. I've been told that you need to keep your thread in the refrigerator if you are not going to use it for long period of times which I have done with my embroidery thread. I use my 100% cotton thread too much to keep a stock of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    I've used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread for YEARS with no complaints or problems (both piecing and quilting charity baaby quilts).
    Me too!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast