Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Coats threads

I've had no problem with c&c dual duty - I use them all the time, but I usually get it at Hancock's when it is half price.

Blog Entries
    I have spools of C&C and DD that I need to get rid of. I think some that say Star and Coats came from Connecting Threads! I use a heavier weight for my applique.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    IMO, one of the lowest quality threads on the market. With so many better options, I buy other thread.
    I agree with Candace. In my opinion, it is of very low quality. It was once known as Coats and Clark, and for many years was a good quality mercerized cotton thread, but I don't see the quality anymore. They first changed the cotton thread for general sewing to cotton /polyester thread, and then to polyester, and the colors are not the same, probably because polyester doesn't take the dye the same as cotton. I get a lot of lint and breakage from the Coats thread now, and I don't recommend it. It will cost you more to buy a good quality cotton thread for your quilt making, but it will be worth it !

Blog Entries
    My Bernina likes C&C Star thread (big spools, online only from JoAnn's) for FMQ. I do have some spools of C&C regular thread that I use on the Janome and have not had any problems with it, but most of my thread is Gutterman.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    I've used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread for YEARS with no complaints or problems (both piecing and quilting charity baaby quilts).
    this is all we had for year and years. It is good and holds up well. They have Poly now. used to get only cotton. their mainstay is cotton covered poly core, which is strong and works great. It is not cheep thread. give it a try.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrine
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I have no experience of Coats though, sorry. I have a friend with the same machine as I and in addition to YLI and Superior, she also uses Mettler with great success I believe, for quilting. :-D
    I think you mean me K? :D

Just to be specific, it's Mettler "Silk Finish" I like for quilting, in case anyone thinks its Mettler Quilting.
    Silk Finish is a 50/3 and therefore finer than the 40/3 quilting thread.
    The one and only! :D

I use it, but most of mineis older from Garage sales, so I am not sure of the quality of the newer ones.

I find that it tends to shred and break. I don't use it except sometimes for piecing.

That is the thread I've used for years too and never had a problem.

I would not use coats and clark thread. I never works right in my machine.

I have used Coats thread and I will use up what I have, but I won't buy it again. It produces was too much lint. My new machine is very sensitive to lint and I have to clean it often. There are other higher quality threads that don't produce the lint.

Blog Entries
    Iv'e used it for years and it seems to work just great for me. I also have used much cheaper thread and it works too, the durability is just not there for the long term of washings

Blog Entries
    i'm using them in my bobbin fine but somehow had bought some that was polyester covered polyester and it shredded in my needle when used on top doing free motion quilting. i even changed needles. i usually bought cotton. but still, i can use it in the bobbin.

My two Featherweights use them with no problem at all but the Viking doesn't like them at all. Because of the irregularities in the thread they build up lint and break easily. For that machine I use, Presencia, Metrosene or Gutermann. Experiment with your machine(s).

Blog Entries
    It could be because they started sending it to Mexico to be manufactured. Was wonderful thread when made in the states. Cheap labor, ya know.

I'm one of those who buys whatever is available. Usually that means C&C at Walmart. I had not had any problems until my last purchase which kept breaking and linting like crazy. I had bought 3 spools and couldn't use it. I went to Joanns and bought some gutterman to finish my project. I really like this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I've never seem Coats threads in the UK till now, but one of my local department stores has started to stock them. I'd be interested to know what people think of them, ranges that are good or bad etc., for piecing, machine and hand quilting.
    I've used Coats and Clarks for as long as I've been sewing, about 60 years, and I have never had a problem. froggyintexas

I have heard several sewing machine technicians say not to use it - it is terrible for the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Coats and Clark is fine for me. Of course, none of my quilts will ever be heirloom blue ribbon quilts. Try it out on a small project and see what you think. Everyone has different ideas.
    I agree with Lisa :thumbup:

I use the all 100% cotton from Coats..also use their hand quilting and their machine quilting threads..and I am very happy with them....more so than some of the more pricey ones.

Blog Entries
    The newer Coats thread is not as linty and much smoother then it use to be. Coats and Clark has started to sponsor more of the quilt exhibits, designers, and shows so their thread will be soon be endorsed just as much as the other best thread brands.

Blog Entries
    A co worker use to own a small sewing factory that contracted sewing some clothes dept stores. He did all the sewing machine repairs. He said if the machines had outside threading lint wasn't a big concern, just clean when you see the lint. It's the inside threading the new machines have that lint build up will cause damage. You can't see or get to the lint in them. Vintage machines have outside threading with lots of thread guides. Thread guides are very useful for a good stitch. It's cheaper to make a machine with inside treading and horizontal spool spindles and few thread guides. The savings can go into other features of the machines that most want these days.

I use coats and clark mainly because I can get it at WalMart. The all cotton does have a habit of balling up and breaking if you do not whatch it closely. No problems with the others.

My Berninas don't like any thread that makes lint. I use Metrosene or Presencia.

I just sent my thread snob machine back to the shop because once again I used C and C thread in it. It kept breaking and finally got stuck somewhere in the machine's guts. Fortunately my machine only needed cleaning, but I will never buy Coats and Clarks again. A thread person told me they used to be good, but quality has steadily deteriorated over the years.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast