Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curiosity Question >

Curiosity Question

Curiosity Question

Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 PM

I love making quilts from scraps - they are always my favorites at quilt shows too. But, I also love hand applique and cannot believe some of the beautiful artsy quilts that people make - I am always in awe when I see them. I am a patten follower too - don't do well when I have to design my own things - even blocks can be a challenge to me if I have to design one.

It's so nice that we all can make quilts we love - there are no wrong ways ...
Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM

Wow! Thank you all so much for all of your input. It will definitely alter the way I will view these quilts in the future. The ones I was trying to describe have no pattern to follow. The video I watched was a lady showing how to design one so that you would know the finished size would be exactly what you intended without having to go back and sew on any more pieces. For her example she hung some batting on a board on the wall. She took various sizes, shapes and colors of remnants and randomly placed them on the batting (they would lightly stick to it) until the arrangement pleased her and the whole space was filled. Many pieces were much larger than necessary to fill a spot and other pieces would cover part of that so when she began taking sections off of the wall arrangement she would just cut off the portion that was covered up and sew them together. She worked in sections and then sewed the sections together to finish it up. Several comments on QB had pictures attached which were very pretty quilts with wonky blocks but were arranged in a very pleasing way. The finished product on the video I watched had no rhyme or reason to the composition other than the placement of the colors. I didn't hate it by any means. It just didn't have anything in it that appealed to me. I am thankful that we see many variations of quilting on this board. I may be just like some of the comments posted where I'll change my tune when something DOES appeal to me! I look forward to seeing all that you create as inspiration and encouragement to those of us still learning!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
I made a baby quilt for friends with somewhat modern taste and decided to make it a wonky square - with little jungle animals in the centers. It took me way longer than it would have to do straight pieces, but the result was just right. Here is a shot I took of the blocks before putting them together. I forgot to get a pic of the completed quilt, but you get the idea. Anyway, they just loved it. Most of the time I do more symmetrical stuff, except for my foundation pieced crazy quilt style wall hangings. [ATTACH=CONFIG]360297[/ATTACH]
The wonky baby quilt is adorable. I like traditional quilts, crazy quilts and wonky quilts. In fact, I've never met a quilt I didn't like. lol
Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 PM

I have almost finished a a quilt and while I was working I kept thinking about this thread. I don't think I could ever use a pattern to make a quilt for myself. I need the freedom of expression and I like to see where the fabric will take me. I get such a boost from the creative energy my quilts give me.