Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curiosity Question >

Curiosity Question

Curiosity Question

Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM

I like them all! I've never made a wonky quilt yet but think I will make a wonky Christmas tree quilt. I like the whimsical look of the wonky quilts. And some of the very graphic modern quilts are stunning. But all the quilts I've made are traditional patterns because they're easier to put together in my opinion.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and one man's trash is another's treasure. So trite, but so true.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM

I love scrappy and wonky. I think they have much more character than matchy, symmetrical quilts. They still need to be planned and have colors and color values that work together, but each one is unique and has its own personality.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:43 PM

We bought a "unique" quilt one time that was made by a lady who got the remnants of fabrics from a manufacturer used to make like the inside of ski jackets - the material was literally bits and scraps of fleece and were fortunately bundled into color bags like blues - pinks - greens, etc. She then just selected a color and started sewing the odds and ends pieces together - each color had dark, light and med values and when she got through hap-hazardly piecing them together, the quilt was gorgeous - and heavy - and warm!

Marysewfun
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Whatever appeals to you should be your guide. I don't like many of the "wonky" quilts, either. I was almost offended when I went to a quilt show years ago and there were "quilts" that looked thrown together, using non-traditional materials and techniques. They did not look neat and professional--just messy, in my opinion.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM

I do some of both types of quilts. Most are organized with pattern. However, I love scrappy and sometimes it allows me to do what I call "mindless sewing". I did post one of my mindless quilts and I have received many compliments on it. I have a DIL who could never sew mindlessly. Her mind has to have everything balanced. She liked the one I made and the one her Mom made but admitted she did not think she could do it. Her quilts are spectacular and most always pretty perfect. I think if you don't like that type of sewing, you just don't do it. For some people, like me, I love making something beautiful out of my scraps and it makes me happy they do not go to a landfill. Some of the quilts I see are pieces of art to me. Each person processes what they see very differently. It is pleasant to some and to some just confusing.

Sew what you like and what makes you happy. One day, I am going to make a true art quilt.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Is there a definition for wonky? It seems there is some confusion. I must admit, I don't like the word. It reminds me of whopper jawed?? does that mean crooked? If so is it intentional or unintentional? I'm new to quilting and while I'm learning the basics, I'm using traditional blocks. But I really enjoy seeing all the different styles you gals post. I think of the unsquare or off center as abstract. As in art I like some abstract and I don't like others. But I'm glad we have both. I've enjoyed this discussion and look forward to reading more comments.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM

I say, to each his/her own. I tend towards traditional...but right now I'm doing a very scrappy KrazyQuilt type blocks. Nothing fancy...just using up scraps. I've embroidered centers for some, used fussy cut for centers on some...will be very different for sure. Do I like it? Though it's all colors I've used in previous projects...some of the colors are making it very hard for me to include them...so, to fix that...all are in a grocery bag (reusable one from store...cloth)...I reach in and pull out a piece...and it's used....very random!

Originally Posted by MonaMcC View Post
I love order, balance and color appeal. When I decorate I normally decorate symmetrically, every once in a while I'll go asymmetrical (sp?). When It comes to quilting, I was drawn to the perfect piecing, lines, angles and shapes of quilts. What do ya'll think of "Wonky" quilting? I think that's what they're called where a bunch of leftovers are laid out to fill up a certain size. It makes me think somebody just threw a bunch of leftovers together and sewed it all up instead of learning how to really piece them together. I don't want to step on anyone's toes here so, nicely please, educate me if it's really artistic or not. I am NO professional but just am in awe when I see a very intricately pieced quilt. THAT to me is real talent!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 PM

I believe MonaMcC was thinking of the "Art" quilts some are making....and on those I have to agree...some are really "Out there!"
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every quilt is a work of art, in my opinion. Just because it doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean that someone else won't fall head over heals.