Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curiosity Question >

Curiosity Question

Curiosity Question

Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 AM

I tend to thrive in chaos ! I love scrappy and my old house is "decorated" with whatever catches my eye. I even have beautiful rocks and things I have picked up outside as centerpieces. So needless to say I LOVE scrap quilts !I have over the years longed for a beautifully decorated "perfect home " but have accepted over the years that with me it is impossible . I admire the decor that you describe as well as the intricately pieced quilts but my mom didn't call me "scatterbrained " for nothing ! LOL

I almost get anxiety from reading some of the post on this thread about how some are so perfect , I shudder to even think of posting some of my "creations " LOL (actually my photos would make Y'all shudder Ha Ha)

Last edited by raedar63; 09-06-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I'm taking a class on modern quilting and learning about "wonky". She's teaching how to do "wonky" very gently. At first, I thought I wouldn't like the modern quilting at all and now I love it and I thought for sure I wouldn't like the "wonky" and now I love it too. Boy, I love batiks now. What's going on with me? I'm changing. I'm liking a whole different kind of quilting now. I use to only like traditional. Now this modern quilting is something I'm really getting into. I just bought a bunch of solid colors, just what I need for this modern quilting. I would never have bought solids a year ago. It would have all been floral. I'm moving, I guess.
Modern Quilting has nothing to do with 'wonkyness', ignoring quality workmanship, abandoning print fabrics, random color placement, or lowering the bar in any way. In general, the modern designs and esthetic (at least here on the east coast) include a bolder use of prints, geometric shapes, negative space and contrast...nothing wonky or scrappy about it.

With any new style, there are lots of off-shoots, especially in the beginning. With the freedom of Modern Quilting, perhaps wonkyness is simply one of those off-shoots, but it is not a 'qualifying' element of Modern Quilting and should not discourage anyone who dislikes wonkyness from taking a good look at Modern Quilting. It can really grab you. (Quilts pictured are from the Boston Modern Quilt Guild exhibit at the 2012 Lowell Quilt Festival...their very first show)

Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 AM

I have set embrodery blocks 'wonky' (using triangle pieces of fabric) using bright solid fabrics for childrens lap quilts.
And they turned out really cute. What you are describing sounds more like crazy quilting.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
I do lean towards the more 'ordered' patterns. I've considered 'wonky' but the ones I have considered are wonky blocks set in an orderly fashion.
I too like "orderly wonky" and here is my latest. The panel squares weren't square so I sashed them with black, then cut them wonky. I think it makes it much more interesting, but that's just my opinion.[ATTACH=CONFIG]360709[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]360714[/ATTACH]Here are the front and back views.
Attached Thumbnails j-cs-baby-quilt-back.jpg   j-cs-baby-quilt-front.jpg  
Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
I too like "orderly wonky" and here is my latest. The panel squares weren't square so I sashed them with black, then cut them wonky. I think it makes it much more interesting, but that's just my opinion.[ATTACH=CONFIG]360709[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]360714[/ATTACH]Here are the front and back views.

Cute quilt!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM

These are my 'wonky' quilts. To me wonky is when the quilt block is set on an angle.
This setting adds interest, especially for childrens quilts.
Attached Thumbnails wonky-quilt.jpeg   wonky-quilts.jpeg  
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Some of my favorite quilts are antique and vintage ones that are made "scrappy".. using whatever came to hand when the quilter was making it. I love the primitive appearance they produced.. My own quilts are boring compared to those! But really, whether a quilt is scrappy, wonky, or controlled piecing doesn't matter a bit to me. It's the final result that either makes my heart beat faster or I just shrug and move on to the next one.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and thank goodness for that!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM

I love the stories that quilts have to tell .... the scrappy quilts just have more of a story to tell.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM

I like all quilts....wonky included. Have to admit I don't make them, but like seeing them.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM

I love scrappy, altho I do not a lot of them. I guess I am on the side of being frugil.