Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH got laughed out of the LQS >

DH got laughed out of the LQS

DH got laughed out of the LQS

Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Smile DH got laughed out of the LQS

I'm making a quilt for my DH's aunt and her daughter who live together. Yesterday, we went to the LQS to pick out the backing, batting and threads. The owner asking if I would be quilting myself or sending it to an long-armer. I said that I would be trying it myself - my FIRST ever quilting experience.

DH commented that he'd like to go to see his aunt the week before Christmas and give it to her then.

Could you hear the laughing from where you are? Good naturedly, of course. How would he know?! Poor guy.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps you can give him a bit of education-???
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Bless his heart! Isn't there a saying about forgiving the ignorant or something like that? At least he went the LQS with you! Good luck with your quilting, I too am going to give it my first go on a quilt that I am giving for Christmas.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 AM

I can understand. My DH decided 2 days ago I needed to make wall hanging for GS for Xmas. He keeps coming into my sewing room
it's not done yet?

It's a football wallhanging and it took me 2 days to find out the colors and information about the school before I could start.

Oh yes they live 300 miles away it has to be mailed too.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 AM

Yeah, he's been really sweet about all this. He's been involved the whole way through - fabrics, pattern, etc.

We did explain and he wasn't offended.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Maybe it is possible ....... IF your DH serves as Master Servant and does all the cooking, laundry, cleaning, shopping, decorating, etc .... and lets you actually quilt, instead of all the wifely duties that deter from your quality time with your sewing machine!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Anything is possible. If you are dedicated, choose your pattern well, and are willing to let the dust bunnies have their way with your house for a while, a quilt can be made in a short time, even by a newbie. If you are already a garment sewist, you already are ahead of the pack because you already can wrangle your sewing machine and handle cutting fabric. If you choose the right fabrics, 8" blocks alternating with two or three colors can be stunning. Machine quilting doesn't always have to be Free Motion Quilting. The Modern Quilt Movement is "big" on minimalist quilting. "Go Modern" and avoid things like straight lines, or stitch in the ditch, and just drive that quilt under the machine in wavy and unevenly spaced lines in every which way. Give it with pride, and tell them it's "made that way" because it's "all the rage." Yes you can !! make a quilt in a day. Go for it! Just make sure Hubby knows that if he puts the pressure on you again like that, it will involve jewellery store shopping!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

Bless his poor little delusional heart, but this is the season for miracles.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 PM

I am sorry they laughed in his face. It makes people not want to speak up or ask questions when that happens. How niceof him to go with you; sorry that had to happen to him.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
Anything is possible. If you are dedicated, choose your pattern well, and are willing to let the dust bunnies have their way with your house for a while, a quilt can be made in a short time, even by a newbie. If you are already a garment sewist, you already are ahead of the pack because you already can wrangle your sewing machine and handle cutting fabric. If you choose the right fabrics, 8" blocks alternating with two or three colors can be stunning. Machine quilting doesn't always have to be Free Motion Quilting. The Modern Quilt Movement is "big" on minimalist quilting. "Go Modern" and avoid things like straight lines, or stitch in the ditch, and just drive that quilt under the machine in wavy and unevenly spaced lines in every which way. Give it with pride, and tell them it's "made that way" because it's "all the rage." Yes you can !! make a quilt in a day. Go for it! Just make sure Hubby knows if he puts the pressure on you again like that, it will involve jewellery store shopping!!!
Forget the jewellery store, he needs to take you to the local lqs so you can replenish your stash.