Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 AM

I've been in quilting guild for over 15yrs. try as I may nothing ever comes out even in the seams. I claim the others excuse for arriving at a perfect seam as being a nurse, teacher have it in them, to well it's the machine that does all the work to they have plenty money to take workshops or how about this excuse, they belong to a satellite group that teaches them, I'll never admit to being a poor quilter. At times I'll speak out to say to another member "Why didn't anyone tell me?" I've tried entering in quilt shows hopping for a ribbon but that will never happen. So I accept fabric donation make baby quilts for hospital and sell some in yard sale to get my money. Don't get discouraged. Honestly I prefer to sew clothing, least
Old 08-01-2014, 04:00 PM

I desire and admire perfect, however I don't have that level of skill. I would like to join in on some of the swaps but there is so much talent here,,,,,,,,I'm intimated..........but I enjoy seeing what folks make.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 PM

Dorrie , Don't be so hard on yourself. No one quilt is perfect , life is not perfect . Do the best you can and just enjoy sewing . There is an old saying,,, Cant see spots on a galloping horse. How I interpret that to quilting is that when you are in bed and your eyes are shut you don't see the pieces that are not perfect , BUT WHAT you do feel is the warmth from the quilt that you have made and put love into every stitch you sewed. So please be kind to yourself and just enjoy your beautiful quilts .
Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 PM

One last suggestion: I use thin thread (aurifil) and thin pins (clover piecing pins) that I can sew over and iron over.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:00 AM

If you are having trouble cutting straight lines try the TruCut rulers and rotary cutter. www.graceframe.com The cutter rolls down a track on the ruler and you get a straight cut every time. I also put their rubbery stick ons on all my rulers so they do not slip. The rulers won't slide on your fabric. You have to lift to move them but I'd rather do that than have my ruler slip. Also could you find someone to be a cutting partner? I have trouble holding rulers steady because my hands are weak. My husband and I cut out my fabric together. Two or three hands on a long ruler are better than one.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:36 AM

Please don't be discouraged, take pride in your achievements and accept this is the level You're at right now.

Im really new new to quilting and I've just registered here today. A knitting forum mentioned you and here I am.

Have you discovered the exploding box block? It's really easy. I've taken a photo of mine to show you but haven't figured out how to post a photo on here just yet.

Ill have a poke around to see if I can do it.

keep going, looks like you've got lots of encouragement on here.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:20 AM

I just thought of something, because I put the 1/4 in foot on my machine and forgot to put the needle in the right spot. If I don't change the needle position, I get 1/8 in with that foot. Maybe your needle is in the wrong spot!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Dorrie, thank you for posting this. I have what is known as Essential Tremors, a progressive movement disorder that causes rhythmic shaking of the hands, head and voice. I have good and bad days. Reading all of these tips will help me to cut and sew better. None of my stuff is perfect when I am done but that's ok! I'm not perfect so they are perfect for me. The people who get one of my quilts know what I have but they don't care because the quilts are made with love. I just finished a rag quilt for Hunter, one of my grandsons. His older brother has one and he has been wanting his own "Lollie" blanket. (They call me Lollie and grandpa Pop) I have just started quilting again after having to stop for 3 years because of health issues. This was the first I've completed since then. The look on his face when I brought it out was priceless and then "a Lollie blanket for ME?????" He doesn't care that some of the seams are off or that I had to change the pattern halfway through cause I messed up. He just knows that Lollie made it for him and that is all that matters.

Lollie
Old 08-02-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mouskalollie View Post
Dorrie, thank you for posting this. I have what is known as Essential Tremors, a progressive movement disorder that causes rhythmic shaking of the hands, head and voice. I have good and bad days. Reading all of these tips will help me to cut and sew better. None of my stuff is perfect when I am done but that's ok! I'm not perfect so they are perfect for me. The people who get one of my quilts know what I have but they don't care because the quilts are made with love. I just finished a rag quilt for Hunter, one of my grandsons. His older brother has one and he has been wanting his own "Lollie" blanket. (They call me Lollie and grandpa Pop) I have just started quilting again after having to stop for 3 years because of health issues. This was the first I've completed since then. The look on his face when I brought it out was priceless and then "a Lollie blanket for ME?????" He doesn't care that some of the seams are off or that I had to change the pattern halfway through cause I messed up. He just knows that Lollie made it for him and that is all that matters.

Lollie
So well put Mouskalollie its the love in the quilt not the straight seams
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 AM

I had similar problems when I returned to quilting. Sometimes my sewing sessions caused me to end up in tears! First thing I did was to buy a 1/4" foot.
Second thing was to use very small dots of glue on the really stubborn areas of the block (press the glued area and it will hold while you are sewing...glue comes out in the wash).
Third thing was to keep on keeping on.
Fourth was to step away for a while if the day is not going well and return refreshed.