Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric drying out fingers? >

Fabric drying out fingers?

Fabric drying out fingers?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Yes, it is the fabric... it is possible (and for some, even likely) that chemicals contribute to your problem... but cotton has a natural "wicking" ability... it naturally draws moisture away from our skin. That's why cotton clothing is so comfortable and why we use cotton in our towels. So, I guess there's good news and bad news! Try some of the lotions mentioned above; there are many great lotions out there... and if you combine it with wearing cotton gloves to bed (after applying moisturizer) that should help, too!! Hope this helps!!
Old 04-09-2015, 01:14 PM

You can try Udder Cream also (it is used on cows' udders when the teats get sore from an overenthusiastic calf's suckling). It is odorless and non-greasy.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:23 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Honey Guy's Water Blocker Skin Cream. He was at the Int'l Quilt Show in Houston quite a few years ago and I tried it and loved it. I have seen it in several quilt shops since then also.
On Amazon to read the reviews http://www.amazon.com/Water-Blocker-...ct_top?ie=UTF8 or buy directly on his website http://www.thehoneyguy.com/category-s/20.htm and
Old 04-10-2015, 05:18 AM

What you no doubt have, is hand excema, my husband got it after a couple of years working with polymer clay. So he quit using that art media. His mother was a seamstress over 70 years. In the winter, her hands were terrible as living in OH, wool was a main fabric of choice of her clients. I have problems with some fabrics myself. The worst culprit, which is in most of them, formaldhyde! Then if imported, the containers shipped in have the enteriors sprayed full, then sealed before being put on ships. This is to keep nasty things from being transferred to other countries.

Scents of any knd, in handlotions, soaps, laundry and dishwashing detergents are also culprits. We use Curel UNscented Ultra Healing lotions. Dove UNscented (fragrance free) soaps and bathwash, unscented laundry detergent and wear gloves to wash dishes altho Ivory Liquid is the mildest. The BEST products are slathering inexpensive petroleum jelly on your hands at night, put your hands in inexpensive cotton gloves from The Dollar Store, and your hands will feel ten times better in the morning. Been working for ten years now. Dermatologist gave hubby all this info. Only problem, can't stand to be in homes with candles burning, can't stand the laundry/soap aisles, any scents really almost make us sick. Especially people who bath in perfume.............most do. Good luck.

Last edited by Needles; 04-10-2015 at 05:20 AM.