Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 AM

I'm excited about using my new roasting pan to cook my turkey this year. The oven will be free for the other dishes. Guess I'd better hurry and buy my turkey or it won't be thawed by thursday!
I'm going to use some different colors for the mystery. I've changed out blue for the aqua and red for the pink. I'm thinking about using orange for the yellow. Will wait and see on that one.
Does everyone wash and starch their fabric? I don't....but I might consider it if everyone thinks it is worthwhile.

Last edited by Pam H; 11-23-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I usually wash and press my fabrics when I first get them. Starch? Never!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
This is why I do the majority of my cooking prep the day before. I take off work that day so I can prepare all the casseroles (sweet potato, stuffing, green bean, squash) the day before. Then Thanksgiving morning I put the turkey in to roast at around 9 or 10, and go watch the parades on tv! When the turkey comes out I put all those casseroles in to cook for an hour, and make only mashed potatoes and gravy while they are cooking. Last 15 minutes in the oven is for rolls. I have a system! Work hard the day before and you can cruise on the day "of". I love having the work done beforehand. AND leftovers for the rest of the weekend!
Sewbizgirl, that's the way I do it, too! Except we brine the turkey on Wednesday and put it on our heavy-duty BBQ rotisserie Thursday mid-day. That leaves the oven free all day until needed. Rotisseried turkeys come out perfect! Juicy inside and lovely crispy skin all the way around.

This year I am trying Alton Brown's Green Bean Casserole: those salty canned soups don't work for me anymore.

I've been reading every post but absolutely don't have the time to do Bonnie's mystery this year. I'll download and print out each clue and add it to my "Bonnie" folder.

..... though I do love this year's colours ......
Old 11-23-2014, 01:17 PM

We are going out of state for Thanksgiving this year to my DH's sister's home. Then for a few extra days in the mountains of NC. I will not be able to even start the mystery until 12/2 or so. Hope I can keep up with this. I have never made one of her quilts before but I now have my "eye" on one or two of them. My fabrics are ready!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
And I just read on WebMD this morning that everything I make is in the "foods to be avoided during the holidays" list, due to high calorie count! WHATEVER. It's Thanksgiving.
For Heaven's sake! It's once a year. I really wish those "healthy" sites would knock it off and leave special holidays alone! Why try to make people feel guilty on our special day of thanks?

Sewbizgirl, we'll be joining you in eating our traditional foods and say a thank you prayer that we are able to do so with family and friends. We have an enormous (three leaves) long and wide antique dining table, so we are the traditional hosts.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:19 PM

I always wanted to brine, but the brines all seem to include sugar, and DH is severely hypoglycemic.

Pam H, I pre-wash everything; after reading several threads here about the wonders of starch (but still being leery of attracting critters), I've started to Best Press my fabrics when ironing before cutting. It does a much better job of getting out wrinkles than steam did, and adds stability when cutting (although I understand it adds nowhere near the stability that starch does). They that starch, do rave about how it improves their cutting accuracy. So I still intend to try it . . . someday. (As others have pointed out, the Best Press is rather pricey compared to the starch.)
Old 11-23-2014, 01:21 PM

AlvaStitcher, I love your Sunbonnet Sue! Is she part of a larger quilt?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:01 PM

Wow - 10 pages had to read to catch up with everyone! If this much is posted before the games begin, what in the world will be here after it begins!?! Maybe everyone will be too busy sewing to post! Looking forward to the first clue.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
I use Superior Threads' Bottom Line in the bobbin all the time.

The bobbin will last almost all the way through piecing a single-bed size quilt. Best of all, it also results in perfect straight stitches.

My machine is a Husqvarna 875 Quilt.
Thanks for the tip on the Bottom Line, I'll be sure to use it on this mystery too!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 AM

Michelleoc, you just reminded me of a Thanksgiving with my 11 year old son and me. He wanted turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing. "None of that salad crap." We had a great meal.