Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-05-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I agree that option #3 looks the easiest, even though the triangle will end up waste (I don't bother to keep such small components). I've also wondered if sewing three strips together and then cutting at a 45 degree angle might not work also for those of us using one fabric per colour? I might play around with that as well.
I was thinking the same thing. I even got my Seminole patchwork book out to see about using that method. But I haven't thought any further so, I don't know. But do let us know if you discover something.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:56 PM

Does someone have Facebook that can see if there are any postings from Bonnie about the template size? If there's nothing there then I'll just not use the template...
Old 12-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
Does someone have Facebook that can see if there are any postings from Bonnie about the template size? If there's nothing there then I'll just not use the template...
The facebook link just takes you to her blog page. if you just open the printer friendly version the link doesn't work but if you scroll down on the page teh link is there and works. it is http://quiltville.com/pdf/GrandIllus...dRectangle.pdf
Old 12-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
This is all that I found that she has posted since the clue went out.

Dear Quilters:Just a heads up for those technology challenged: There are no clickable links in a printer-friendly pdf version of the mystery. You need to be on the actual blog POST to be able to click links. If you are trying to click a link in the printer-friendly version, go back to the blog to do it. You can only click links in things that end in .html not .pdf. I hope this helps!Visit the blog at http://quiltville.blogspot.com to view the post where links are clickable.If you can't print, don't have a printer, etc -- visit your local library or ask a friend to print for you.
Please note that I have no control over how your computer or printer print. If it's not coming out the right size, choose option #3 for this unit.
That's why I presented 3 options.
I am loving seeing your progress already!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:31 PM

I have a few minutes while DGD is napping. Thinking about trying tape to show the lines on my easy angle ruler.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:46 PM

I'm having troubles with the correct hst size before cutting. I'm also working on Under The Stars, which requires 3 inch squares, and on the triangles, it requires 3 inch squares. The squares with the hst's are 3 3/8th, which I draw a line diagonally, corner to corner, mark the 1/4 inch seam allowance, and sew on the straight line. 2 perfect hst!.

My one sewing machine died a week ago, so I am having it serviced. It started acting weird, then slowed. Today I bought a Janome DC2014. I'm eager to make correct hST's for the mystery quilt, but don't know what the math would be. On the 3 inch finished squares, it's 3 3/8's. What would the correct cut of the square be to make the correct hst for the mystery quilt

I'm such a noob, and way behind.

Last edited by Rhondals; 12-05-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 PM

Pam & Ripped...earlier I went back and followed the directions just as she said but the sizes still were off. Came out at 4 3/4 x 2 3/8
Old 12-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Ok so maybe I'm in the doghouse... but I could make a paper-piecing hoozie and probably fit 12 on a page. I just did this for the HST and it was a breeze.

The problem is with her template!!!

I just printed it and have the following comment
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501266[/ATTACH]
Something is not measuring right here. she said that the rectangle is at 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" but not according to her templates.
Beware!
To me, the "template" is the lower diamond piece. Mine measures perfectly after sewn with the template, try one on a 2 1/2 " strip -- it works.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
House Dragon, My brother lives on your island! You might run into him or his wife. George & Jami Knox.
Hmmmmm ... Sailing? HAM radio? Rotary? Quilting? Seal watch?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:08 PM

A little late but wouldn't this make a great color combination for the GI quilt? Almost wish I'd seen that before it started. I'm doing Bonnie's colors.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg