Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 AM

I am a RN of 35 yrs and have seen similar things over time with men in work, not so much now that I work in the OR... I just wished there were more men in nursing and other areas...
Men totally look at things differently than women and it's interesting to "learn" their view..

Maybe the answer to the quilt class is to bring another male quilter?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 AM

Make copies of the comments on this thread and hand them to your LQS.
May make a difference.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 AM

I love it!! I'm a female but I just think that at this point in time, all of us should have learned to stop pigeonholing. This is 2010, almost 2011, not the dark ages. Personally, I think EVERYONE should know how to cook and sew. It's basic survival stuff. We all eat and we all use articles made of cloth everday. We need to stop thinking backwards and start living up to the idea that if we THINK we are the superior species, we should ACT like we are. Women didn't like it when they were (are) treated like that, why would men like it any better???
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 AM

Chris,
I'm with you buddy!... you don't have to be male to get that type of attitude in a quilt shop; I find the shops in my area very stingy with the help unless you are busy paying for something.
I've gotten all of my help from, magizines, you tube, this board, and trial & error. I would LOVE to have a quilting group with a mix of men & women , I think that would be a blast!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 AM

Chris, you need to just move here to Missouri! We have 2 quilt shops owned and operated by men. One of those shops has a monthly meeting called THE GENTLEMENS QUILT CLUB and you have to be male to join it! My husband loves it! Believe it or not, he says there are about 25 in the club. A bunch of my friends and I get together for sit n sews at least once a month. My husband goes right along with me and has a great time.

If ever you do plan a trip to Missouri, please let me know, you are more than welcome to come here and hubby and I will be glad to help you.

I know what you mean by needing to be a visual learner. I am the same way. Feel free to PM me and I'll try to help all I can.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 AM

Being post-1970s myself, I don't remember Rosie Grier, but I have heard of the big football player who did needlepoint. And I've heard there's a current NFL player who crochets.

What is quilting, really? Cutting up fabric and sewing it back together in pattern. What makes that feminine rather than masculine? Nothing I can see.

Chris, you really need to vote with your dollar. If you are not treated right, shop elsewhere. My husband shops with me and often goes to the cutting counter while I poke around. No one has ever given him a hard time, and some people have even chatted him up about what he was making.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Chris I know you have the Hobby Lobby and the huge Joannes in Muncie have you tried them? I think there is a smaller shop on Walnut. Not sure if it is still there because it has been a few years since I was in that one. Try calling some of the churches and talking to them about it.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 AM

I think its great that you quilt...and am so sorry that you have not been welcomed. I do not belong to a guild but have visited one here and they have at least one male member.
Don't quit...just keep looking for a solution!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 AM

Welcome - we have quite a few male quilters here and we all love to see the FANTASTIC quilts that they have created - so jump right in.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 AM

Chris,
One of my favorite quilt shops is the Quilters Toy Box in Muncie. Now, I live too far away to shop there, but I am sure to stop at their booth at quilt shows. If that was one of your unsuccessful attempts for help, try again. Check hours as they are not open every day. Have you contacted the Guild in Muncie? I have been to several of their shows excellent quilts. They may know of someone who would teach you one on one. If you don’t mind driving a little, there is a guild in Decatur that has male members who are teachers. Just don’t give up, more and more males are bitten by the quilting bug every day.
Good Luck,