I Don't Know Where to Start! >

I Don't Know Where to Start!

I Don't Know Where to Start!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...g-t250048.html

Here is the link. Interesting concept.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by AllyStitches View Post
I recently put together a set up that might be helpful for you. Years ago I bought a New Joy quilting frame at a garage sale. It sat unused until recently, when I bought a Janome 1600P and put a stitch regulator on it to use with the rack. The stitch regulator has a little hand held piece with the start/stop button, which allows me to move my machine on the rack with one hand. I don't know if you have room for a rack, but I don't use my feet with it at all.

I bought the Janome on ebay for $600 (I think they usually go for $900, but I bet you can find a machine for somewhere around the $600 range), and the Quilter's Cruise Control was under $500 on sale. The rack was $200, and goes down to about 5 feet so it would be good for your smaller quilts. New Joy is out of business, but maybe you can find a similar one like I did.

If you can't use the rack, the Janome has a start/stop button and only does high speed straight stitch, so it's perfect for quilting.

Anyway. I hope that helps!
AllyStitches, do you have a picture I could see? This sound neat and although I might not be able to do this immediately it might be an option in the future. I am a visual person though, and really need to see it to understand what you have going on.

Oops just saw you tried to add a picture, but it didn't work...

Last edited by cynicalbeauty; 07-30-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 AM

No help here with a machine, but I must say you have my complete admiration for not letting a disability stop you from accomplishing your dreams!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 AM

Thay quilt in the air thing looks neat. but I think I would still need the stop start button.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM

Ok. Let me try photos again. I took a second one this morning too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]485643[/ATTACH]
The first one is just of the button, and the second one is the whole set up so you can kind of see how it works. The button is wired to the machine, but you can place it or hold on to it in whatever way you need. The Handi Handles were attached to the rack when I got it, but they don't work with my Janome so I just use them for moving the machine over the quilt. The pictures loaded kind of funny, looks like the first one loaded twice. Hope they show up this time and you can see what I'm talking about. You're welcome to message me with questions!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485644[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485643[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails button.jpg   img_0506.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 AM

My Brother embroidery machine has the stop start and cost $999.
I bought a free motion quilting foot for it and quilted double size quilt.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 PM

Sounds like you have received lots of good leads for machines with the stop/start. I have a Janome 1050DC and it has that and a speed regulator with a few fancy stitches. It only costs $300.00 (it's light weight and I use it to travel) and you can spend more as you move up the line and still keep the features that are necessary for you. Good luck on your research, I'm sure you can easily find one you like. My only other suggestion is to buy from a nearby supportive dealer.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM

Pfaff has a machine with both push button sewing and IDT...a win/win situation. It is an Ambition 1.0. We have one at work and it is a wonderful machine. There is a speed control lever so you can sew as fast or slow as you want to using the push button control. It's a really good machine.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Don't forget Janome. My 4900 has a start/stop button and boy has that come in handy when I've forgotten the foot pedal at home!!
I have never heard of a start/stop button. How do you control the speed? Well I just got my answer....seeing the above post which I now see!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:03 AM

I love my Brother with start/stop button AND speed control lever. I have problems sitting at the machine at a table for very long. So last night I drug my TableMate table up to my recliner and had a wonderful time sewing for 1-1/2 hours without nary a backache and my feet were up on the footrest. I use a slower speed when I sew this way than I do when sitting at a table.