Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: jelly roll pinked edges

I recently purchased a jelly roll, and the edges of each fabric strip are pinked. How do I begin to use the strips-do I cut off the pinked edges to make them straight for sewing? If I have to do that, it seems more cumbersome than just cutting strips from yardage in the first place. But if I don't cut them, how do I sew without a straight edge?
    Thanks in advance

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
    I think you just line the tips of the pinked edges up with the same of your second fabric and sew the 1/4" seam.

Blog Entries
    No-don't cut them off. The 2.5" measurement is to the OUTSIDE of the zig zags. I actually am not a fan of the pinked edges. The first JR I bought had straight edges-this was a long time ago when they first came out and I liked it better. Another thing-you might want to whack the jelly roll on something outside for a while-there is a lot of lint and crumbs from those pinked edges. And while you're sewing, clean out your bobbin case often. I clean it with each new bobbin if I'm working with precuts.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    No-don't cut them off. The 2.5" measurement is to the OUTSIDE of the zig zags. I actually am not a fan of the pinked edges. The first JR I bought had straight edges-this was a long time ago when they first came out and I liked it better. Another thing-you might want to whack the jelly roll on something outside for a while-there is a lot of lint and crumbs from those pinked edges. And while you're sewing, clean out your bobbin case often. I clean it with each new bobbin if I'm working with precuts.
    Yeah what she said. I learned this the hard way with a layer cake instead of a jelly roll. Those pinked edges really screwed me up one time. I still have yet to rip the pieces apart and start over. I need to though.

I'm not a fan of the pinked edges either. Not fun at all. But, don't cut them off.

Blog Entries
    Hello and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! Glad you joined us :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I am so... not a fan of pinked edges ... Who ever thought it was a good idea?! I will not purchase Jelly Rolls with a pinked edge. it just agrivates me the whole time I am working with them.

Always thought the manufacturer pinked the edges so they wouldn't unravel as much with all the handling to get the product to us. Just a thought...

Power Poster
    I always wondered about the measurements too for all those things that came with pinked edges.

So - the measurement is from tip to tip of the zigzags?

I don't like the mess either but it does cut down on the bulk in the seams

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast