Old 03-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Love this post....all about the priorities....the challenge of my life! LOL
Old 03-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

A thought provoking post.
Thank you.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by jzaaboo View Post
I was working on some blocks that my grandmother made when she was pregnant with my oldest aunt. It made me think-what if my next 5 quilts were my last 5 quilts? Would they be the same ones I'm working on or thinking about making now? Because if they aren't, why not? Am I saving fabric because it's too cute to cut up? Am I making so many obligatory quilts that I'm not making the ones I want to make? Am I waiting to get better to tackle that tough one, or until I have more time? I'm fairly young, but you never know when the beer truck will run over you. Everyone's answer will be different, and I'm sure there will be some contrary replies; but for me, I think I am going to try to work on the quilts patterns I love the most, with the fabrics I love the most, for the people I love the most whenever possible.
I just spent 5 days in the hospital with a problem that may become chronic. While I was there my husband and I got to talking about what we are going to do with the rest of our lives. I am 64 and he is 74. He is still working at least 40 hours a week. We discussed moving to a Retirement home where on site health care and even meals would be available. As soon as I am able I will have to start getting rid of most of my fabric stash. It is something I knew was coming but of course no one wants to think about it. I have more finished quilts then I can use and everyone who I wanted to give a quilt to has one or more. At present I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month. It is a great excuse to still purchase fabric but it won't be fun if I have to pack it all up and move it. If we do move we will make sure there is room for my sewing machines etc. I own 5. I also have two treadles but I have no attachment to them. Aside from using them as an end table etc. I don't even know if they work or if parts are available.
I would welcome any suggestions. Sadly none if my children or grandchildren seem to be interested in sewing or quilt related projects. Ironically my daughter has a small business with a "Traveling Craft Truck" She parks it on the street in a small business type area and people can come in and work on small crafts that can be finished in an hour or so. She is targeting businesses who need or want a "team" building type activity for their employees. She posted pictures of a small group who came aboard and made name tags for themselves. She used her own skills to decorate the inside of the truck. The driver's seat is covered in crocheted Granny Squares. There are counters of various levels to allow for workers to sit or stand and cupboards to stow her supplies etc. Because of my health issues my husband may actually retire. If we move he will.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
What a great thread. I am not so sure I could answer this question properly. You see I do charity quilts and personal quilts during the year. I think the hardest part of family quilts is getting the colors and style right for that person's taste and not my own.

All that being said, you are so lucky to have your grandmother's work to finish. I was far too young when my grandmother died to be so lucky.
I only have 16 blocks that my aunt gave me. I was 2 when my grandmother died, I don't remember her. But yes, I am glad I have these to finish, but my son will likely take my (still small) stash and take it to Goodwill at some point. No problem with that, but maybe it'll make me think twice before I buy something I don't absolutely love.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Thank you for this great post. May I share it with other quiting friends?
No problem!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:43 PM

I have a stack of Double Wedding Ring blocks/ovals that my Great Grandmother pieced in the early 1930s. In the 1960s, when she was over 80, she gave them to my Grandmother and told her to finish the quilt.

Grandma kept them until she was in her 80s, and knowing neither my Mom nor Aunts had any inclination to piece and quilt, she gave them to me and told me she did not have time to finish the quilt. It was up to me to finish the job.

I am now 59. Grandma died in 1987. Mom is "hinting" that she wants to see Grandma Betty's quilt on her (Mom's) bed.

I'm considering this thread a fire under my backside and will try to finish this quilt. Mom and I both agree it will have to be hand quilted - but I'll hire a talented Amish lady to do that part!

P.S. I was so blessed when I was age 5, to travel with my Grandmother (who raised me) to visit her mother, Great-Grandmother Betty. GGBetty and I were instant and lasting best friends. She was "ancient" and deaf since age 7 (scarlet fever). We talked and laughed and I got to sleep with her. Each night she would ask if I could hear the whip-poor-wills. She said that even after nearly 80 years she could still remember how they sounded.

Last edited by Caroline94535; 03-14-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:48 PM

I have finished the last quilt top from my mother and will be giving that away this year.
At almost 73, I've decided that if I want to make special quilts for my g-grandchildren, like wedding quilts, that I needed to get started. I have three to make. But then I think, how do I know what they might like in 10 or 15years and will they even get them when I'm gone or if they do get them are they still good. I'm going to put that on hold for a year or two, because they all have quilts that I have given, just not any adult quilts.
I'm first going to make small quilts for each of my nieces and nephews... and keep making quilts to sell. Then when all those are done, I will decide to made the gr-grandchildren the wedding quilts. If they are finished when I die maybe someone in the family will finish them for me.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 PM

I am the only one in my family that quilts. I make whatever I want, and have enough stash, but no fabric I consider too good to cut. If my next 5 are my last 5, so be it. My goal has been to continue to improve, and challenge myself, which I've done. I usually don't know what I'm going to do with the quilt or wall hanging as I work on it...at some point I "just know" who it's going to! Great thread!!
Old 03-14-2015, 02:21 PM

Thank you for bringing this to the forefront. As a longarm quilter for hire I find a limited time to quilt my own tops. I have began to schedule my name on the calender, and hope to finish some UFO's for me and my family. Even if they are not the prettiest tops ever made, I do want them quilted before they are pasted to family or sold.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Quote- "Am I making so many obligatory quilts that I'm not making the ones I want to make?"

Guilty!

Quote-"I think I am going to try to work on the quilts patterns I love the most, with the fabrics I love the most, for the people I love the most whenever possible."

A very good resolution.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.