Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing materials in a rag quilt? >

Mixing materials in a rag quilt?

Mixing materials in a rag quilt?

Old 11-15-2014, 05:53 PM

Ach! I'm rethinking all my measurements now! And I was so careful! I think I was hoping to go for the least amount of sewing for the biggest quilt possible. Does that make sense? I was going to start with a 12" block, sew a 1" seam and then cut the fray at half an inch. That's....not right, is it? *sigh* I thought that would leave me with 9" blocks, but it doesn't. What if I did 12" blocks, a 1/2 inch or 3/4" seam (taking them down to 11" like ckcowl said) and then clip?

One other question....to wash or not to wash? Sounds like I should wash the flannel? Still confused about this, as I hear that it's easier to cut when it's not washed, but then it shrinks once it dries.

So sorry for all the questions....I'm trying to wade through all the information! I appreciate all your help so much!
Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

The idea of a rag quilt is to use fabrics that will fray & make a nice fuzzy rag at the seam. As CKCowl mentioned, minkee doesn't rag. It gets stringy & unfinished edges shed. If you do a search on the board for minky rag quilts, there are several posts and the consensus is that it's not suitable. I would save it for a different project.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:00 PM

I made one regular quilt with Minky and the cut edges just 'shredded' in small pieces--it did not ravel or fringe like cotton or flannel. So I suggest you take a test square of your Minky, cut the edges like you plan to do on the rag quilt, wash it and see what happens. You sure don't want to do all the work assembling a quilt and then Find out the minky does not give you the look you want. Oh and I second the advice about prewashing the flannel as it can shrink a lot and unevenly.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

I would recommend that you make a slighly smaller block because you will get more out of your yardage. Most fabric is at least 40" wide so an 8" cut would give you 5 across. A 9" block will only give you 4 cuts and you have lots of excess.

I don't know about the Minky as I am not fond of the way it feels. Try it to see if it even ravels.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:25 AM

I take my rag quilts to the laundrymat for the first washing. The Homespun rag quilt I made for a fundraiser left a lot of thread in the washer Stopped dryer several times and took outside to shake
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 AM

I've been quilting for years, but just found someone who wants a rag quilt...SO, I'm making my first one. I used cotton with batting squares in the middle. I haven't washed it yet, but do have to say I did not enjoy the batting being smaller than the fabric squares (according to a youtube video). It was very difficult to keep that 1/2" seam, and for the perfectionist I am, it was quite frustrating.

I saw another video where they used same size batting as squares...that would be much easier to sew, would there be any downfalls?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Joyfilled View Post
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to quilting....sewing for that matter. So new, I've never made a quilt! I have high aspirations though. I have 4 kids, and want to make each of them a rag quilt for Christmas. The finished product will be 9" blocks (12" to start with), 7 x 5. I have no idea if I'm even saying this in correct quilting terms, so please bear with me.

My question is this: I have all the material that I need to make them, including batting for the middle. Some cotton fabrics and some flannel, with minky (is that what it's called?) fabric for the background. The thing is, I'm hearing a LOT of different opinions on this. My aunt says I shouldn't mix the fabrics. Others say there is no problem. Some say that I should wash everything before I cut and sew, others that I shouldn't. ARGH! So many different opinions!! What do you all think? Can anyone offer me some tried and true advice? I'd appreciate it so very much!

I plan on just working on one quilt at a time, and finish as I'm able....although the goal is Christmas, I'm hoping for the best!

Edited to add: I also know the basics of sewing, and am confident I can sew in a straight line....haha!
I like to keep fabric that ravels, so I'd never use the minky which is knitted. That is my personal preference. I'd also not use batting. Instead I'd find a solid color heavyweight flannel for the center layer. IMO, cutting batting, fitting it in, and then securing it is just work I'm not interested in.

I've written this so much someone is going to ban me from repeating it. FLANNEL is a fabric finish, not a fiber content. The flannel is most likely cotton, but may contain other fibers, and could be wool. If it's wool, which is a fiber, you'll need to do some serious pre-shrinking. IMO, the main considerations for a rag quilt-------------DOES IT RAVEL? And, has it been shrunk as far as it's going to shrink. Hopefully yes to both

And if you have denim (also a fabric finish, not a fiber content) you can use it in a rag blanket, even if it's stretch denim or has some poly in it.

And you can find cotton (fiber content) that is knitted. Not good since it won't ravel.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Oh, how exciting!! Thank you so much for your responses!! Now I really can't wait to get started. With 3 at three and under, though, I better wait until they go to bed. Just in about an hour!

I thought I'd start with my son's quilt. That one has the most flannel, but also has some bandanna fabric and jean material. And...his had the cheapest fabric.

I have no idea how it will all look when finished....I appreciate your encouragement!

To answer your question, Paper Princess, I thought I'd start with BIG blocks as this is my first attempt and I didn't want to get too discouraged. I think this is how my thought process went, please correct me if I'm wrong, or my measurements are off.....I start with 12" fabric squares, batting of 9". Sew an X through them once assembled. Then sew them together with 1" seams, then cut the rags in half inch cuts. Does this make sense? I'd appreciate y'alls input!

Thanks for the encouragement!
Here's an idea to make the blankets ever easier and a whole lot faster. Cut strips (WOF 42/43") 7"to 9" wide. Fabric is about 42", so that would be a good width for little guys--------even bigger guys. Skip the batting and add a layer of solid color flannel for softness and warmth. You can make one in a few evenings after the kids are asleep. Save the squares for a time when you have more time.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Quite often when using flannel for raggy quilts we use a 1/2" seam, (12" blocks with 11" batting squares, X across the squares of top, batting back) join squares w/ 1/2" seams then clip, clip, clip ( the closer the better for good full * chenille like,* ragging) you clip down to almost the seam line, being careful to not clip the seam. ( minky doesn't work well, it does not fray/ rag just gets stringy.... Cottons, cotton flannel, and homespun s work great for raggy quilts. After finishing construction and clipping give it a good shake outside before washing, then again between the washer & dryer. When you put it in the dryer check every 10-15 minutes to empty the lint trap, it will fill up fast & often. I usually take it out & shake it 2 or 3 times while drying too.
you clip 1/2" seams???????????????? Seems like a waste of time and effort.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Ckcowl, thanks!! Would it work to use minky just for the backing? It is soooo very soft....
Minky is a knitted product and WILL NOT RAVEL.