Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No more printing...My pledge...how about you... >

No more printing...My pledge...how about you...

No more printing...My pledge...how about you...

Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I will no longer print out free patterns from the internet. I have reams and reams of patterns in binders/folders. I have given away reams of patterns printed from the internet.

I will only bookmark patterns that I KNOW {{{wow strong language}}} I will make within the next 12 months.

I will no longer save any images of patterns that interest me.

After I have lunch I'll decided if I can live up to this pledge! LOL

Bookmarks can disappear over time(website shuts down, etc). It's better to cut and paste into a word document and saving on your computer or download the pdf file if available. Cutting and pasting takes a little bit of time but is worth it to have it in your files.

I'm now in the process of de-cluttering my sewing library. I'll look up a pattern and, if I can find it, I download it and get rid of the original paper copy. If I can't find it online(or it is no longer free) I scan it into a word document, save that and destroy the paper copy. It will take me a while to to all this, but eventually it will be all done.

Last edited by selm; 05-18-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM

I agree I to do the same, I am beginning to think it is a sickness...LOL. I also was downloading any embroidery pattern and now have so many that I most likely will not use half of them.. now I just copy the quilt patterns that I want to make right away.. oh well it is fun ...a little crazy but fun...
Old 05-19-2014, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i still save pdf's to my hard drive... sometimes the free patterns are no longer available for free, or not available at all. i only save the ones i might make, though
That's what I do, too. They take up no space on the hard drive, and they are there when I need them. Also pictures of great quilting as I am loving FMQing, too. Just put them in a file! ( I often copy to a word doc is not downloadable).
Old 05-19-2014, 03:39 AM

I have a separate external hard drive that I keep my quilt patterns in pdf format. It's fun to go "shopping" there when I want a new pattern. When I get ready to quilt - I can print it out then. Sometimes I just print out a portion of the pattern - like cutting directions.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 AM

Good to hear I am not only one that has a binder full. Intensions are always good, but something better always comes along. Now I also bookmark for future use. Sometimes I use it and other times I delete.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:58 AM

You lie! You know you lie! You can't do it. You know you can't do it. Go forth and support the ink and paper people

Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
me too-binders full of cool things I will never make,lol
Me too, binders, boxes, and stacks. Love them!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 AM

I get a great deal of pleasure in looking for patterns on this board and several other sites. If I find some that I really like [even though I know I will most likely never even attempt them!] I will probably print them out and lovingly place them in the notebook binder files I have on the top shelf of my sewing room bookcase. I carefully put them into the alphabetized table of contents, slip each one into a page protector, and insert them into proper order in the binders.

I make a separate table of contents for each category: articles, quilting, paper piecing, sewing, arts and crafts. When I am feeling the urge to make something, I can pull down my notebooks and "shop" without ever having to leave the apartment. Do I use printer ink and paper? Sure! But I figure that this method costs less than browsing the quilt shops and burning gasoline to get to them. Besides, ultimately my method is less expensive than collecting "bought" patterns I will probably never make.

Okay! Okay! Sometimes I purchase a downloadable pattern to add to my collection. I guess there is just no hope for me now!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Be sure and check the life span of the flash drives. Several of my flash drives and discs that are just a few years old have become unreadable. Many of the inexpensive flash drives only have 2 - 5 years lifespan. There are brands of flash drives that have a long life warranty but they are not cheap.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:01 AM

Hmmm what I dislike is when you order a quilt kit on the net and have to download the pattern. I really want a paper one sent to me and not have download the pattern.