Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For?

Hulalulu beat me to my idea. I was going to suggest looking for a way of donating for silent auctions as well. PTA's or school groups such as sports teams or bands are always looking for fundraising ideas (I have gone to way to many with my six kids). If you have a friend or a family member who is involved with a school group ask them. Or why not give your local elementary a call and find out if they are interested, who knows it might open up a friendship with the school leaders offering you many opportunities for service. I come from a long line of school teachers, and one thing that I have learned is that schools always need volunteers. You don't have to have a child in the school to help just the desire to be a part of someones life for good

I hear you - I also have been quilting for 3 years and have run out of family members who have not gotten a quilt already - one thing is to make another quilt for each family member because you are sooo much better then when you started. I also do charity quilts.

There are always weddings, births, graduations, birthdays, anniversary's, Holiday's, and then there's "just because"
    I have been quilting since 1975, most of my quilts have stayed in my family.

I just make whatever I feel like making, and if I think it suits someone, it becomes theirs. I don't care if they stack up to the ceiling. I am new and have only made a few, but have two in production right now with no specific "home". I'll be happy to hang onto them until such time they get adopted out to a worthy recipient.

Blog Entries
    If you make them they will find a home.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I don't always know who will end up with a particular quilt. So I just keep making them and the destination appears, often with very little warning. In the past couple of weeks I finished two UFOs to give to friends. One went to a neighbor who had bypass surgery and the other was for a friend's grandson who was in the hospital. Nice to have something on hand that is close to completion for such occasions.

A number of people have mentioned various charities. But don't you have siblings, nieces and nephews who you are close to?

Then there are other possibilities other than bed and lap quilts - wall hangings, table cloths, christmas tree skirts, ...
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    A number of people have mentioned various charities. But don't you have siblings, nieces and nephews who you are close to?

Then there are other possibilities other than bed and lap quilts - wall hangings, table cloths, christmas tree skirts, ...
    Sue
    This is where my delimma comes in. My sisters, daughters, nephews, nieces, all have quilts my mother quilted....she didn't piece, but she quilted. My mother is considered the goddes of sewing in our family, rightfully so, because she was vfantastic seamstress.

Blog Entries
    I seem to keep finding someone to give mine to. I have donated a few and will be doing more in the future. Even if no one wanted/needed my quilts I would keep making them and my family would have to find them homes when my time came.
    D
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

Answer: YOURSELF!!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast