Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For?

Quilts for your local hospice. Some people have no or little support or loved ones around them during this hard time and a quilt can bring a gift of more then the quilt itself.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Any occasion that calls for a gift now gets a quilted something. I still haven't made anything for my own bed except the very first quilt I ever made - I made a list on my blog and I have I think 14 quilts to make for this year and that doesn't include the unexpected Psst - I did my charity quilts for the year first so I can guilt-free concentrate on the others.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I make a quilt for anyone I know who has cancer....just to show a little love and concern.

Every year I donate 3 quilts 60" x 70" to a shelter for battered women. If they are in the home for Christmas, they get a quilt. My group also make wheelchair quilts for veterans, baby quilts for a home for destitute pregnant girls, quilts for Quilts of Valor (for injured soldiers) or Victoria's quilts (for cancer patients). We also make cuddle quilts for premature babies at our hospitals. They are 22" x 22" and they cover the incubators and parents can hold their babies in them. Those quilts are theirs to keep. Also, we make quilts for children who are going through dialysis and cancer treatments. I have made quilts for my eldest daughter. My second daughter does not want quilts. I am now making one for my third daughter. My fourth daughter wants a queen size rag quilt. She chose flannel that I had but I don't have enough so I am on the look out for something similar. I still don't have one quilt of mine but I have bought a kit called the Painted Lady and that is what I will be making for myself soon. By the way, I am now retired and spend many happy hours quilting.

I've been quilting for 3yrs also and have made one for everyone in my family. They all want more quilts so that's not going to be a problem for me. My 4yr old grandson got the first one for his 2nd BD. Last fall he asked me to make him another quilt with farm animals, John Deere tractors and some orange because that's his favorite color. So I made one for him for Christmas and used orange fleece for the back. I'll have to find a picture of it and post it.
    I am also finally making one for myself. And I've made some quilts for raffles and QOVs.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I, too, have absolutely no family to make quilts for so it was inspiring to read all of your suggestions as to who to make a quilt for.I am always a little envious hearing about the quilters with dozens of grandchildren and even great grandchildren but unfortunately, don't have either. I do make a lot of quilts for charity mainly Quilts for Kids because it is really a lot of fun to use the bright colors and challenging to use scraps without buying much new fabric.

Project Linus. I live close to Ft. Bragg and we supply quilts to the children of injured or fallen soldiers. There is such a great need, since this fighting has gone on so long We also supply quilts/blankets to newborns and children in the hospital at Ft. Bragg. We would so love to have your contributions. If you are interested, please PM me and I will give you further details.
    Thanks,
    Jo Ann Ivey
    Jo Ann

You can give them to me! LOL My daughter has close friends, I would do them for her friends birthdays etc. Teacher's appreciation week is around the corner for her school, I would give to her teachers. I agree with other posts charities are always great!

Blog Entries
    Well, all of these suggestions are great especially the charities, but I was being selfish and thinking you could make me one! LOL

Charities I.E hosp NICU premie nursery, Why Me Camps for kids w/terminal illness. Fresh air camps. Way more places than you or I will ever have time to do. Love for your generosity.
    Pegeth
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I've been quilting three years. I've made baby quilts for my grandchildren, lap quilts for my two daughters, plan to make lap quilts for my three sisters, I would like to try a queen size quilt for my bed. Then what?? I love doing this but I'm just wondering what to do with all the quilts I want to make
    I am doing the same thing. When I get done with theirs, I am making a quilt for each season to go on my bed and then I will make quilts for my very special friends. By that time my little ones will be ready for a bigger quilt.

Blog Entries

Women whose mind stays full of ideas for the "next quilt"

I was glad to see so many respond with charities....I realized that the "heart" of someone I did not know would be just as blessed as the ones I made for friends and family. The key is to "let go of it" when you send it on the way (Do you know the Hebrew word for "the way" means a well-traveled road?). That is tougher as you may never know who has it and how they will be using it. I use it as a time to learn a new skill, and USE FABRIC ( which we all have more than we will ever use in our lifetimes). If a local guild is not an option, then check on line for the (Linus...Quilts of valor...Love quilts...women and children shelter...Habitat for Humanity housing group...or orphanage) near you. Happy quilting!!!!!

Perhaps make a quilt, or two for yourself. There are many worthy charitible causes that would be so appreciative of your sewing talents! You could also venture into sewing other items such as wall hangings, table runners, hot pads/pot holders, mug rug, doll quilts, pillow cases, totes, pin cushons, needle case, picnic quilt, etc.
    Happy sewing!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I belonged to one guild where they made quilts for the babies in the NICU. My current guild makes quilts for the abused women's shelter and the homeless, dog beds for the animal shelters, and I just went to another group that is going to make quilts for a elder group home.

Definitely, think about joining a guild. There is also quilts for Linus, quilts of valor, and other groups that you can find on the internet.

Your grandchildren will outgrow baby quilts, the kids will ask for a bed quilt, all your sisters and brothers will want bed quilts, you will NEVER run out of requests or of people who are grateful for beautiful handmade quilts. And there is always Linus, and your local shelter and Head Start programs. As you quilt them, you will for sure find lots of places for them to go

Blog Entries
    I also keep some quilts for the sick, either to comfort them or to use as a fund raiser. Im doing some to the VA hospital. I try to find a different charity every few yrs. My 2nd round at the VA.

Blog Entries
    Why does head start need them? Isnt that a pre school??

Give quilts to your local police they love to keep in their trunks to gift as a humanitarian item for that the urgent, immediate need. House fire, family/child abuse/violence situations, Etc.
    From what I understand the police especially love quilts for the drug busts, children are removed from the home(they are not allowed to take ANY items as all items are very contaminated with poisons (think meth labs)) They leave with nothing.
    I am now just making the matching pillowcase to go with the donation quilt I just finished that is going to my dsi's for his ds's 7 yr. old step-gd with CF.
    My next donation quilts will be going to the local police/sheriff.

I made my children and grandchildren's weding quilt as soon as I finished their baby quilt. Just wanted to have them ready. Now I have made and stored quilts for my great grandbabies. I know I will not be here when they arrive. Now and then a donation quilt and QOV. Red and Blue are 2 of my least favorite colors, so I really don't want to make another one of those.

It seems the more I make, the more I still need to make! I tried counting how many I still have to do and I'm up to 8 more, 3 of which are queen or larger....Then I can make another one for my bed that I've had the fabrics for for 2 years.

Banned
    I've given to friends and relatives. I've donated. I'm saving them to pass them down to my kids and future grand kids. And I make some "just in case". For example I made a rag quilt with appliqued Teddy Bears on it. Didn't have a person in mind for it. That was a year ago. Last week I found a sick little boy that had a page on Facebook. (you know how that goes.. a friend shares it and you see it on your feeds) He touched my heart and then next day that quilt was in the mail to him! Sometimes they find their own home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    Are you kidding???? i want a quilt in every room in the house (wall hangings, table runners...etc). oh and Christmas quilt and easter quilt and let's not talk about bed quilts...i am on my second for my daughter alone as she likes to change with the mood and i am working on a king size for me and have at least three more in my head and i want to change....oh and i do want for all our beds Christmas quilts (and THAT is my mood).....it goes on and on don't worry jusy keep stitching ;-)
    You are to funny! Thanks for the laugh.
    But I love quilts and am the same way.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

St. Judes loves quilts for their kids fighting cancer.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Blog Entries
    Haha, you can send one to me! I know there is a group on here that exchanges completed quilts. My problem is I have had to stop calling myself a quilter! Why? You may ask? Because I continue to make top after top and never get any quilted. So I guess now I should just call myself a piecer. Lol! I have never machine quilted and am so afraid of ruining my lovely tops and I hand quilt waaaaaay to slow. What to do?

Blog Entries
    My grandma made a quilt for each of her grandchildren and each of her great grandchildren and even a few extra. It has been really nice giving a quilt to a great grand child who wasn't even born yet before she passed away. She made those extras exactly for that purpose. Kinda neat!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast