Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For?

I don't always know who will end up with a particular quilt. So I just keep making them and the destination appears, often with very little warning. In the past couple of weeks I finished two UFOs to give to friends. One went to a neighbor who had bypass surgery and the other was for a friend's grandson who was in the hospital. Nice to have something on hand that is close to completion for such occasions.

A number of people have mentioned various charities. But don't you have siblings, nieces and nephews who you are close to?

Then there are other possibilities other than bed and lap quilts - wall hangings, table cloths, christmas tree skirts, ...
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    A number of people have mentioned various charities. But don't you have siblings, nieces and nephews who you are close to?

Then there are other possibilities other than bed and lap quilts - wall hangings, table cloths, christmas tree skirts, ...
    Sue
    This is where my delimma comes in. My sisters, daughters, nephews, nieces, all have quilts my mother quilted....she didn't piece, but she quilted. My mother is considered the goddes of sewing in our family, rightfully so, because she was vfantastic seamstress.

Blog Entries
    I seem to keep finding someone to give mine to. I have donated a few and will be doing more in the future. Even if no one wanted/needed my quilts I would keep making them and my family would have to find them homes when my time came.
    D
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

Answer: YOURSELF!!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

How about bed quilts for your family? My family loves bed quilts. Also if you like quilting so much, how about making quilts that challenge you ?

I have made a memory quilt from her father's shirts for a friend who doesn't sew. I encouraged her to be part of the design process so she could feel a part of it. Now I just have to quilt it and get her to plan the label text. It will be so meaningful to future generations of her family.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I have 8 grandchildren. They WILL need more quilts. I've made baby quilts, kid quilts, teen quilts, graduation quilts which I'm still envolved in, and then there will be wedding quilts (shortly), then great grandchildren....plus friends and I've done a few for customers. Just finished a wedding quilt for a customer. Just keep quilting. I still haven't made one for OUR bed!

Check with the social workers at the hospitals. We have so many babies born each month here with basically nothing to go home in. Look up our organization to see how it works babiesinneed.org

They will be in my estate when I die. I don't have a big family and when everyone asks me what I'm going to do with them, I tell them I will give them to anyone who wants one. Then they all want one, but just if I give it to them. If I find a worthy recipient, I will give it to them. Otherwise, they will be in my estate when I die. They'll be worth more then than they are now. I also do charity quilts as well.
    Alice the quilter

Table runners...placemats...totes...etc
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Take a walk in the park near your home. When you see a young family, the kids would love a quilt. This is what one member of our quilt guild did. No one knew until she pass away in December and her family shared this about her. She has scrap books of picture of the child and their quilt. Really something to think about. And her love of quilting was shared. Since you love quilting so much, share it also.

Afghan sized quilts are welcomed and appreciated gifts for cancer patients going through chemo. Keep doing what you love to do and stack them. When you hear of someone who is going through this ordeal, give them a quilt to bring along for their treatments. Perhaps even a simple tote bag added to it. Happy sewing!
    One step at a time, always forward.

sap
    my mother made quilts for each gchild with instructions to give them when they married. One got his quilt twenty years after she passed. She loved them but knew she was terminal and wouldn't here to give them herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    How about bed quilts for your family? My family loves bed quilts. Also if you like quilting so much, how about making quilts that challenge you ?
    My 1st quilts were easy ones. Then I got into floral applique which take longer to complete. However, my closets are now full & it is hard to give these away & I do not have any relatives with an interest in quilts. I do make them when neighbors have grandkids & have sold a few.

I don't give mine away other than to my children and grandchildren. I offered to make one for a dear friend once and he said No thanks, I don't like them. I keep them on the spare bed, at least I know when I have company they're warm. I just tell them to peel back what they don't need to the bottom of the bed. Easy to look at when I want to. Most of mine get spoken for. And there is always the needy (humans) and pet shelters (animals need warmth and love too).

Blog Entries
    Our thursday quilt group made quilts and donated 15 of them for the womans shelter. They were so appreciative and we know the need was met. Do you have a non-profit that would llike to raffle a quilt off. I and another quilter did this and earned 2500.00 for the non-profit. To me there is always a non profit group that needs help.

Just keep on quilting.... Make them and you'll be surprised how often you can use one as a gift. Believe it or not your family will continue to grow, friends will have children, grandchildren and there are many charities that can use them. And I like to have quilts just as throws on my beds, in the living room and all around the house. My sister keeps about 4 or 5 on her sofa and a couple on the chairs. Just put them all around and you might be surprised how quickly some of the family or friends would love to have another of your creations.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by isewman View Post
    just jokeing---ME-(ha-ha). There is groups/charties--nursing homes???. Again just jokeing ME. Don
    Don you don't need a quilt, you make such nice quilts yourself oh I see you are joking!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I agree and also maybe more family members will come along-babies grandchildren, their mates. Also your inlaws, siblings, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    Are you kidding???? i want a quilt in every room in the house (wall hangings, table runners...etc). oh and Christmas quilt and easter quilt and let's not talk about bed quilts...i am on my second for my daughter alone as she likes to change with the mood and i am working on a king size for me and have at least three more in my head and i want to change....oh and i do want for all our beds Christmas quilts (and THAT is my mood).....it goes on and on don't worry jusy keep stitching ;-)

Power Poster
    You never run out of relatives...My daughter cannot get enough quilts...She displays them everywhere and loves them....quilts of Valor is always a good idea....

If you run out of relatives, I have plenty to share. I have 16 nieces and nephews and 17 great nieces and nephews ... Plus my own children :-)

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I've been quilting three years. I've made baby quilts for my grandchildren, lap quilts for my two daughters, plan to make lap quilts for my three sisters, I would like to try a queen size quilt for my bed. Then what?? I love doing this but I'm just wondering what to do with all the quilts I want to make
    I don't have a single relative who wants a quilt. I have made them to-date for Quilts For Kids. My tastes are changing and I love the modern quilts that are, perhaps, not so appealing to children, so I'll be looking for other charities soon. But if you've enjoyed making kid quilts, QFK and Project Linus are great places. And, of course, there are always the local hospitals and nursing homes.
    Pat

I have wondered about this too. I still have a lot that are done and folded nicely in my stuido.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    If you find out someone is ill or has had a serious operation take them a quilt. You will be surprised how grateful some people will be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast