Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt top stash >

Quilt top stash

Quilt top stash

Old 03-14-2016, 07:16 AM

Default Quilt top stash

I've seen many comments that indicate that some people have a lot of quilt tops that got to the top stage, and then got stored.
I more than understand why this happens but my question is about the binding.
Do you
1. cut the binding and store it with the top
1. just save enough fabric to make the binding and store it with the top
3. or worry about the binding when the top is eventually quilted (which it sounds like may be years)

I have no quilt tops that are not quilted but have a lot of fabric with ideas of what to use them for, so just wondered (in case I ever get to that point)

What about the backing?

Last edited by RugosaB; 03-14-2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: thought of another question
Old 03-14-2016, 07:28 AM
Banned

I only have one quilt top that is not finished, I need to get the
borders added than it would be ready for the quilting & binding.

But I DO have numerous other smaller projects in various stages
of completion and various sizes, but none are very large projects
(wall hanging and smaller sizes).
Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I do cut the binding and keep it with the quilt top. Usually I figure out what I am going to use for the backing when the quilt is going to get quilted. I hang my quilt tops on pant hangers and try to keep everything together.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:34 AM

I always put the binding on the quilt top before storing it. It keeps the edges from fraying, and I was taught to put the binding on prior to quilting anyway. I find it's such a struggle to put binding on a large quilt after it's quilted.
And I usually don't have the backing for every quilt top, but will put it away with the top if I do have the right fabric. Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:37 AM
bj

I'm of the finish one before I start another faction. I don't have a lot of storage area, plus I'd probably never finish anything if I didn't finish them as I go. ;0)

Last edited by bj; 03-14-2016 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Addition to text
Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I tend to make a bunch of tops, then quilt a bunch. If I have a plan for the binding when the top is completed, I fold that fabric in with the top. Sometimes, I don't know what I'm going to bind it with, usually because there's no fabric left from piecing the top. I never plan the backing until just before I put it on the frame.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I have a few left to quilt of the tops I have made and a few of the donated tops for charity. I usually choose a backing and store it together with the top. I really don't worry about the binding unless it is a special effect I am going for. Then I would store the fabric for it with the rest folded inside.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:10 AM

I'm glad to say I have quilting my last UFO quilt top. Whenever I make a top I decide then what binding to use and make it up ahead of time. I'll put the binding with the top so its not lost in the mess down here. As for the backing, I was having issues with which ones I had backings for so I made up a chart I now keep up on the wall near my PC so I can just look at it and see which tops still need a backing and then when I see someone having a sale I'll go check for the backings then. Before that I would order a backing only to find out I already have one so I'm now saddled with a couple backings and no tops to go with them.

As to fabrics for future projects, I have one cabinet just for those projects and as I find the pattern and start looking/adding fabrics to go with it I add it to the pile for that particular project. My cabinet is crammed with the various fabrics now and even loaded down on top with the bolts of fabrics as they won't fit inside the cabinet. Forgot to tag the bolts though for which project they go to so will need to do that one of these days soon. Most of them is obvious but a few are questionable. Yes, I try to keep organized but occasionally I slip.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I have a few UFOs that aren't even full blocks so I'm way behind.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM

If I have a stack of tops waiting to be quilted, I do not save binding and put it with the top. I make those decisions when I figure out what I'm going to use for the backing.