Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Software? >

Quilting Software?

Quilting Software?

Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
yep. that's a pile of cash alright. but you had a long list of things you wanted in a program. EQ is one of the few that comes close. I could talk about it because i have it and like it.

Not a law in the land says you can't pick one of the lower priced programs that has a similar list of features. the only hitch might be finding one for less than $90 that lets you draw your own. i don't remember seeing one of those. but i was shopping for them more than 10 minutes ago, so ... LOL

i'm not going to try changing your priorities. whether you design your own quilts or prefer the games is up to you. you can still have tons of fun quilting and gaming, whether you buy software or not. i will, however, provide a few points to ponder:
-you have to buy game after game after game to feed your "habit". you buy the quilting software once. (then yard after yard after yard after yard of fabric. same process. different "habit". LOL) maybe a few upgrades over the year, but you'll spend a teeny-tiny fraction of what you're spending now on only games.
-buying the software just means waiting a little longer for the next game. they'll still be there later.
-sounded to me like you wanted it an awful lot and can afford it
-once you're done with a game you have nothing to show for it. when you finish a quilt you can call your very own and share with others ... well ... i've never seen a joystick or whatchamathingie that can do that.
You bring up some very good points. Except the part about not having anything to show for the video games. I can still show the data from the game after completing it to all my gaming buddies and brag about how much I completed it (a lot of gamers try to complete games 100%---meaning not only conquering it but doing everything there is to do and getting all the obtainable items). Other than that, you've got me convinced. Only problem is...kind of short on the cash to buy it right now (currently unemployed so the only money coming in comes from watching my brothers so mom can go out on errands or take a break.)
Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

sell the games you've conquered. the software you buy will then give you one more thing to brag about.
:wink:
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
(currently unemployed so the only money coming in comes from watching my brothers so mom can go out on errands or take a break.)
I do not want to make you mad, so please forgive me if I come across too strong; PLEEEEEEEEASE, for your own sake, go back to school. You are young enough, and you could probably qualify for a Pell Grant to pay for it. (Then you could finish your art classes, design that PERFECT software program for all of us quilters, and we can proudly look at your picture one day on the AQS website introducing you as the software Guru as well as the latest Master Quilter!!!) I'm sorry, but this is the "Mom" in me. You have many years ahead of you; why not make the most of them by doing what YOU want to, instead of what you HAVE to, just to keep a roof over your head.

Ok, I'm getting down off of my soapbox. Again, I am sorry if I over-stepped my place. You just seem too bright to throw away your best opportunity to finish what you started: your education. Trust me, finishing your education is 10 times harder once you start a family.

Take care,
Carla
Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Carla P
PLEEEEEEEEASE, for your own sake, go back to school. You are young enough, and you could probably qualify for a Pell Grant to pay for it. [Carla
Seeing if you qualify for a Pell Grant is easy and I can almost guarantee you would. You just go online and fill out a FAFSA form. It is easy and it is free. All you need is your SSN and your income tax return. The URL is http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Also, there are many courses available from legitimate Comminty Colleges, Colleges and Universities online, so you could do some of your course work at home.

Definitely worth checking into.

Barb C.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Carla P
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
(currently unemployed so the only money coming in comes from watching my brothers so mom can go out on errands or take a break.)
I do not want to make you mad, so please forgive me if I come across too strong; PLEEEEEEEEASE, for your own sake, go back to school. You are young enough, and you could probably qualify for a Pell Grant to pay for it. (Then you could finish your art classes, design that PERFECT software program for all of us quilters, and we can proudly look at your picture one day on the AQS website introducing you as the software Guru as well as the latest Master Quilter!!!) I'm sorry, but this is the "Mom" in me. You have many years ahead of you; why not make the most of them by doing what YOU want to, instead of what you HAVE to, just to keep a roof over your head.

Ok, I'm getting down off of my soapbox. Again, I am sorry if I over-stepped my place. You just seem too bright to throw away your best opportunity to finish what you started: your education. Trust me, finishing your education is 10 times harder once you start a family.

Take care,
Carla
Ah, not the soapbox speech again. LoL.

You're right. Why not make the most out of life by doing what I want to do rather than doing what I have to do? And college is just something that I don't want to do. I just don't like the idea of turning my talents to create a career so I can work under someone and use my talents to meet someone else's vision. And why do people think that you have to be in a classroom to get an education? Aren't I learning things just by reading what people have to say on this forum?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:32 PM

Yes, you can learn a lot from all of the experience here. Unfortunately, a future employer might not be to impressed by seeing only this on your resume. As far as using your talents to work for someone else, I take that as an excuse. You will use some of your own talent for the benefit of someone else no matter where you are or what you do for a living, be it bagging groceries or the CEO of a global corporation. That's life. But, it's all what you make of it. There are some major advantages to having that degree on your wall, the biggest being the freedom to choose... You choose who you work for, and MANY times, where and I don't just mean in your own town. And just as Barb C. said, you can now take most of the classes online without ever once entering a class room setting.

We are by no means trying to push you out... only up!! You can go far, anywhere in the world, with the education & right company. I have no doubts as an artist, quilter, & gamer you'd like to visit places like France, Italy, Japan, and Russia just to name a few. This is YOUR time!! Spread your wings and be that "Flying Goddess"; you have it in you!! We care sincerely. If you don't believe me, read some of the other threads. The members here actually look out for each other just like family, and you're part of it... like it or not!! :lol:
Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 PM

*sigh* I understand that having a degree on your wall can make you go places, but I'm not the kind of person who wants to shoot for the moon and change the world. Yeah, I have dreams, but most can be achieved by working for $6.50 an hour. Others (like going to Japan and Disneyworld and maybe the location where my favorite band played their first tour concert depending on gas prices)...will probably wake a little longer to achieve because of money, but that's why savings accounts were created. And some don't even require cash or a degree of some sort (such as mustering up enough courage to pick up a job application...God, anxiety attacks suck.) I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm happy with not going out with a degree. I'm already happy with what I got right now. Its enough for me. I'd be fine with having a job that only paid mininum wage.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 PM

Flying_V_Goddess,

I completly understand what you mean about finishing college. I am a senior this year, and am going to be an Elementary teacher with a specialization in Special Education. After this current semester I have one semester of classes left and then one semester of internship. I am so burnt out on college. The first couple of year were great, then life comes along and one thing happens then the next and you forget why wanted to go to college in the first place, then you wonder if you really want to be what you are working towards. College is hard and it is not for everyone. I would love to take a semester off, but I am afraid I won't go back, so I am sticking it out, besides I am almost finished. I also want to start a family as soon as we can, but I would like to finish school or be almost finished before we do, because I hear it is ALOT harder to finish after you have kids.

Look at your life 10 years from now and try to do this from an objective point of view, if you didn't go back to school, would you regret it? I'm not sure if you said how long you had left, but what if you just finished a little at a time. Just think of all of the hard work you have put in so far. I am not at all lecturing you believe me, I know how college is. I don't know if you have kids, but someday you might, what if you had to support them, do you think minimum wage would be enough? Honestly, I couldn't do it. There is no way. Just weigh all of your options and whatever you decide will be right because you have to decide whatever is going to make you the most happiest in the long run.

Just an opinion and some friendly advice from a fellow quilter. :D
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM

Actually, I've never been to college. I don't know how some assumed that I did (maybe because I'm 20...but believe it or not I've only been out of high school for less than a year...graduated at 19 in '06). But I do know what its like to be burnt out from education. The first couple years weren't so great and on top of that once junior year started there was suddenly some rule that kicked in saying you had to figure out your "life plan" before you graduated, so it progressively got worse. Eventually, juggling classes and wondering "Is video game design/art school something I really want to do?" constantly just burned me out and I dropped out a month after I turned 18. I did go back in the fall and completely turned the whole thing around (plus learned new things outside the typical art classes I was taking...never thought Woods and Metals would be fun and that I'd be at least decent at it). Just barely got enough credits to get that diploma and graduated "on time". Its something I don't exactly want to relieve...just having this enormous amount of stress and getting burned out like I did in school. I mean, I'm already under enough pressure. My mom and friends want me to get a job, talking like its the easiest thing in the world and that I don't want to make the effort for it when, infact, I do but the anxiety gives me a damn heart attack when I try. And this mindset the world seems to have that your life is measured by how much money you make or how many places you travel to. College doesn't seem like its for me...not to mention I did so poorly the first couple of years in high school that I sometimes wonder if any college would accept me or if I'd be able to get funding because I can't afford it. I'd be happy with minimum wage...Hell, I'm happy when I have a $20 bill in my pocket (cheap games, fabric sales, and going out to McDonalds!).

Old 04-04-2007, 10:47 PM

My mistake, I thought I had read somewhere about college, maybe not. LOL. Sorry! You are right, it isn't about the money, it definitely is not, it is about what makes you happy, and that is the bottom line. As for getting a job, it is hard as hell, either all of the good ones are taken or you just don't want to work certain places. I understand about the anxiety, it is nervewracking. When you have an anxiety attack, you feel like you're having a heart attack, seriously. When you keep having those, naturally, you're not going to want to do whatever causes them anymore. I hate it how high schools want you to know 100% what you want to do for the rest of your life. Here in WV, we had to know in middle school, what we wanted to do, I chose marine biology, I wanted to be a marine biologist and I would still love to. All of the classes I took revolved around marine biology, well then I met my husband and life happened and I changed my plans so I could stay in WV and do something else, this didn't bother me, I wanted to go to photography school and then go to become a massage therapist, but oh no, I couldn't live that down, my mom and others rode my behind until I went to college and had to pick something that I was going to spend the next 4 years of my life trying to pursue. At first, I had no idea, then finally I chose education, I love kids, I do. But I wonder if I would have chosen MY path to photography and massage therapy, what would have happened. I regret that I listened to them and didn't do what I wanted to do. I do not regret that I am becoming a teacher, I just hate the process. It is so much like high school but harder and so LONG.

I have worked since I have been 16. Non stop. I finally quit working in May of 2006. I was fed up with sexual harrasment and feeling like I was the babysitter at work. So I quit. Then I started making candles and purses, etc. I had to listen to my mom say when are you going to get a job, Heather, you need to get a job, etc, etc. This comes from a woman who has not worked or attempted to get a job in about 10 years or more. It's funny how easy she thought it was. I did try, before I started making candles. My candles and other items i make sell, but I do not have my own small business YET, but I will soon, and you know what, I am happy. I don't get a paycheck every 2 weeks, but my stuff sells, If I advertised more and actually had my business license, I'm sure I'd do great, but I am content right now. Besides, my husband doesn't like the idea of my having a job right now with school anyway.

So, do what you want, not what they want. If you wanna get a job, you will, if not, then you won't. Easy as that. Just don't settle for a job that you dread going to. It only makes things worse.