Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine throat space >

Sewing machine throat space

Sewing machine throat space

Old 09-27-2014, 03:10 PM

I also have the Brother 1500s and it's a great machine. Beautiful stitch and a friggen workhorse! I have made Queen-sized quilts with it. No problems.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:11 PM

Hook: Thanks for the correction. Yes I meant 1500, not 1900. Guess I just like my machine 400 more.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:41 AM

The most budget-wise machines with a 9" harp are the 1500s mentioned, Janome 6300, 6500 and 6600. There are many other models with wider harps in all brands and price seems to be much higher as though priced per added inch of harp-space but the more the better. I use a 9" harp machine and agree with the person who said type of batting can make a difference AND plenty of support behind and to the sides of your work area. I would not attempt a king size on my machine but I know it could be done. The Ambition is a nice machine and should handle up to double-bed size without much problem for you. Larger could be done, of course...it just is more challenging than fun at times.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:59 AM

It takes patience but you can quilt any size quilt on the small machines. I just finished a 110x120 on an old Bernia. Be sure to pin or baste very close together and go for it.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:29 AM

I agree with helenquilt. It takes patience (and practice) but you can quilt anything on smaller machines. I bought a Janome 7700 for the large harp space of 11" and can't FMQ worth a darn. It is still nice, though, even for straight line stitching as I don't have to struggle as much with the quilt. There is a Juki TL-2010Q that has a reputation as a real workhorse. It has a 9" throat and the throat is higher (that's important, too) than my Janome. If I had it to do over, that's the one I'd buy.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:02 AM

I have a Janome 6500 memory craft and it has a throat of 9x5 plenty big for any quilt I want to quilt. I have used it for over 10 years and working like a work horse!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:04 AM

I traded my Janome 6500 for a 6600 for the additional 3" of harp space plus a few other new options. I FMQ quilt all my quilts - all the way up to a King size and it works great. That extra 3" of harp space makes so much of a difference. For me the hardest part of quilting your quilt is getting a large quilt basted. I've taken a few classes online that have helped a lot with tips, etc. It is very doable. I have never tried the quilt as you go but plan to in the future.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Imagin View Post
I'm new to quilting and so far have just worked on a 35 year old Kenmore machine that is sadly lacking in many ways. I'm thinking of buying the Janome M1250Q:
https://janome-sah.com/sewing-machines/juno-m1250q.html

It is supposedly designed for quilting and comes with a "quilting kit" but the throat space is only about 7-8 inches as far as I can tell from the website pics. Do you think it is possible to make a bed sized quilt on this machine?
Others can answer better about your throat space but I do want to let you know my experience with that kind of walking foot. I have an older Janome with a walking foot which looks exactly like this one and I frankly don't like it. I dislike that the quilting bar only fits properly to the inside of the throat space. That means your line of previous stitches must be to the inside, constantly adding more fabric into the throat instead of less. I tried turning the guide bar the other way and the end wouldn't rest on the fabric properly but turns downward toward the fabric instead of resting on its surface. AND after a few times in and out of the plastic clips, the clips broke and I had no guide bar at all. My husband then jerry-rigged a piece of wooden shim to more or less hold it in place. That works if I am careful to occasionally check if the guide bar hasn't accidentally moved to the side a little.

At this point I have ordered an inexpensive gadget from Nancy's Notions which will be a dual-sided guide bar which clips onto my walking foot. If it works well I will be putting away the guide bar (and shim to hold it in place) I have now and hope never to use it again.

The only other complaint I have is that even on a baby quilt my stitch length isn't even. It varies. It shouldn't do that.

Your little Janome looks like a fine basic machine, but had I known I would get into quilting, I am not sure I would have gotten what I did.

~ Carla ~

Last edited by HomekeepingGran; 09-28-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-28-2014, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

It can be done but I would look for one with more space
Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 AM

I think we as woman need to stop justifying our expensive sewing machines. I've heard on this board time and again that someone can't afford it, or they need to make it pay for itself? Why? Other than genuinely not being able to afford it - I apologize here, some, I know, cannot, but those that have to make the $numbers come out right - think again. You will be sewing on this machine for a long time. Get the one that makes it easiest for what you do. There are some down right amazing machines out there. Don't say "my work isn't good enough", or that's so much money. See about payments, make yourself happy. If you are on a budget, and only you know that, buy the best you can afford and stretch a little bit. Ask for your birthday/Christmas present all in one - lol. Sewing is not easy when you are frustrated. This is the only thing I do. I don't wear expensive clothes, don't buy the latest and greatest (unless it's about sewing/fabric/machines/notions), I don't go to bars, to the movies (occasionally). I tell myself I deserve it and I think you do to.