Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking pictures in quilt stores >

taking pictures in quilt stores

taking pictures in quilt stores

Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

sorry you were treated so rudely.
I would probably ask next time. they will prob be more understanding.
Next time, show her your idea, good luck shopping.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 AM

I can see both sides of the issue . My sister owns a yarn and fabric store and tells me that a minimum two or three times a day "customers" come in and take photos or record all of the info on a product. Most just ignore her and make there way to the item start taking photos and then just walk out. Many reply to her question of what they are doing, or do they need any assistance respond "I need the info to buy online". She is beyond frustrated as she has rent to pay and help to pay, and being used in this manner is inconsiderate. She notes that some of the same , return to ask for assistance when they have trouble with a project they purchased the required supplies on line.
I can see where you find taking a photo helpful for you future use.... but so many have used photos for less than supportive means of supporting the LQS , please do not let this one instance interrupt your relationship with a shop. Next time let the clerk know of your intentions, ask for assistance in finding a pattern that suits the fabric.

Last edited by Lori S; 03-31-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM

I think they should probably come up with a set way of handling the situation when they see someone taking photos or writing down bolt info. I sometimes would take down bolt info at my LQS, when I couldn't afford something on the spot, because they have quite a rapid turnover, and it's quite likely the fabric wouldn't be there when I was able to buy (I sometimes plan projects quite far in advance). It never occurred to me until there was a discussion here about this trend, that my behavior might be suspect! The next time that situation comes up, I intend to ask them if they mind if I jot down the bolt info, in case they're out of the fabric by the time I'm able to purchase it. I would much rather buy from my LQS than on line, but I am extremely thankful for the expansion of choices that on-line shopping allows. No quilt shop can carry everything!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 AM

I've taken photos of fabric but not the info on the bolt end. I simply explain that I want to go home and see if it'll go with my other fabrics. Sometimes I have photos in my phone, of those other fabrics, and will show them to the salesperson, asking for help in coordinating. No offense, I can understand why taking a photo of the info, would lead the saleslady to suspect you were going to look it up, elsewhere.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:02 PM

I think I am at the complete other end of the opinion spectrum on this! I think if she wanted your business the helpful thing would have been to show more of an interest in what she could do for you, not start off with negative comments. For example, she could have said "Are you thinking of a quilt, a piece of clothing, a dog bed, etc". Maybe given you some ideas, offered some matching fabrics for your project, given you an idea of if/when it might be on sale, maybe even, oh I don't know, suggest you purchase a yard or 2 in case it sold out, etc. From a customer service standpoint, there were a dozen other ways to help keep your business instead of running you off. What if you had said "I want to purchase 5 bolts of this fabric and am just making a note so I can come back here and order 5 more?" I am sure her attitude would have been completely different but when she started negative, it naturally puts you or anyone else in that position on the defensive where no customer wants to be. Perhaps it's decades of training experience speaking but you should always give reasons why your product is superior, not why someone else's is inferior. When I am on the hunt for that one fabric to complete my project, I usually have a picture of the other fabrics I've already gathered and it's on my phone. I will use that picture in the store, from my phone, to find a matching fabric. I have never had anyone say anything to me about my phone no matter where I am. A couple of weeks ago I was in my LQS taking pictures of different fabrics and sending them to sweetie. He was picking one out for the mixer cover I was making his mom. Had the shop owner said something like you experienced, I probably would have left. If she's had someone do the 'showrooming' thing before that's too bad, but it is not a reason to treat other customers negatively or accusingly. It's that whole fly-honey-vinegar thing.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:13 PM

Auntnana, you are not alone. There are rude people and there are people who know how to treat others... as they would like to be treated themselves.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:14 PM

Maybe I'm unforgiving but if I am treated rudely in a store I usually don't go back. If that were me, I probably would have pointed out that I was just about to spend over $50 but maybe I should shop online instead, where I won't get any attitude.

I can understand why they'd be concerned, but they way they approached it would, for ME at least, have the exact opposite effect of what they were trying to accomplish. In my opinion, brick & mortar stores need to focus on SERVICE, since they aren't going to win if you're only considering price. There needs to be a reason for me to come into the shop, and rude storekeepers, regardless of their reasoning or their assumptions, is a huge turn-off.

If she'd come up politely and asked if she could offer assistance, and maybe said something like, "I noticed you taking a picture, we discourage that because blah blah blah" and been PLEASANT about it I wouldn't mind at all. Especially if they have a sign posted somewhere that I'd missed.

I do see signs now and then, in LQS's that say "Please no pictures". That doesn't bother me a bit, and if I missed the sign or had a brain fart and whipped out my camera I wouldn't feel annoyed if a storekeeper reminded me in a reasonably polite sort of way. But no signs and a huffy employee making assumptions about my motives would be a pretty clear sign for me that this isn't a shop that suits me.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:17 PM

I had the opposite happen recently, I was looking at a section of fabrics forever, and the sales person came over and mentioned that I take pictures, something I hadn't even thought of. They also had a lovely table runner, and I asked if I could take a picture of it, and they said absolutely ! taking photos in stores is the wave of the future. Also, they shouldn't assume the intent is bad, she may be working on a quilt with someone who couldn't get to the store, and needed their input. Also, when I make things for children, I always get pre approval from mom's first, to see if they like it or have other ideas in mind. with family living in other states, I have to send pictures.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:48 PM

So Bee3 -- you could have been in the shop where I work! So often a customer will ask "can I take a photo and send this to my daughter? Think she might want this" OF COURSE ! Not only does that customer stick around for awhile until there is a response, but she/he will usually buy more because they buy not only for themselves, but gifts for others! Makes that two satisfied customers in one sale. Are there some folks who then do the online thing? Probably, but they would have anyway....no reason to anger them.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:04 PM

My LQS even invited me to take pictures. Please visit Rose of Sharin in Danville, PA. The girls there couldn't be more helpful and so sweet to everyone. I do always buy fabric at my LQS because one time I sent on line for some and it was terrible when it arrived. I have never used it yet. I HAVE to see and feel what I'm buying in the fabric line. Pictures can be deceiving.