Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tilting your sewing machine >

tilting your sewing machine

tilting your sewing machine

Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 AM

My husband made me a tilt tray for my computerized machine and I love it! It's set at 45 degree angle & it's great! I use it all the time because I sew in my recliner on a TV tray & I have a real bad back, but haven't had any issues with this.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I tried this..but I am too vertically challenged..could never see my needle area...
Seems if you are short, tipping the machine would be ideal. No???????
If you're tipping the machine towards you, the area in question would be more visible. If you're tipping the machine in the other direction, you have more than one problem! LOL:)
Old 09-14-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by traumaRN
I bought a tilt board at the Houston international quilt festival many years ago and used it for years. It does help with back and neck strain and if your table is not the best height for your machine.
your avatar.....that is a twin to my 301A in its very own cardtable.....love that slant needle...no need to tip, but i do have bed lifts under each table leg
Old 09-14-2011, 04:13 AM

It makes a world of difference to me to have my machine tilted. We have small blocks, one inch thick, under the back legs of the table. Besides that, I have a foam wrist support under the back of my machine. This is a long foam piece about an inch thick meant to rest your wrists on when working at a computer.

All this helps me because I am short and it is easier to see this way and less strain on my upper back, neck, etc.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:15 AM

That sounds like a great idea...I will definitely try that one. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I did it long ago. My machines are all computerized. It doesn't hurt them in the least. Nancy's Notions actually sells a tilt board that is adustable and has cut outs for your knee lift bar, cords etc. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is seeing in the bobbin case when I am changing bobbins or cleaning etc. I have my whole sewing table set up at just the right height where my arms are level with my sewing machine surface when they are bent at the elbow. It does help with fatigue and neck strain. You can accomplish the same thing with door stops under the back of the machine. The tilt table is just more stable and I love gadgets. I don't remember what I paid for it but it has been well worth whatever it was.
I looked at NancyNotions and did not see a tilt table available...I will search another way just to check it out...
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 AM

Have used the door stops for tilting my machine forward for a long time, work fine. A friend discovered one of those computer lap trays (with the little fan inside) works well too. She had one in which the little fan no longer worked, it is higher in the back than the front and works like a charm...gonna watch garage sales or thrift shops for one...door stops work o.k., but sometime slip out of place, the tray stays put.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:41 AM

I don't get it. If I tilt my machine toward me the top of the machine gets in the way and I can't see anything. I would think that tilting it away from you would open up the area where the needle and make it so you don't have to been over the machine.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 AM

I bought a couple of rubber door stops last night and that really seems to do the trick. Feels like the machine is steady and I can still adjust as needed. Starting a new project tonight so time will tell.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 AM

I have a computerized machine and have used a tilting board for many years. It has not damages the machine but has definitely helped me not only see better but alleviated a lot of the neck/shoulder pain I got from sewing too long. I highly recommend it. :thumbup: